Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to swap the front wheel on my 2013 road glide custom and I've removed the abs bearings ready to install the non abs bearings. On the one side there was a washer/spacer behind the bearing. Does that washer have to go back in behind the new bearing? Do I need to find one to put behind the bearing on the other side? Any info is helpful and thanks in advance

·
Registered
474 Posts
If your is as for rushmores, on the side of the ABS bearing there should be the ABS sensor itself, working also as a spacer.
I see then 2 options:
1) find a new spacer of the same size
2) simply cut the wiring and let the sensor in position

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I thought the same but just swapped a 2017 wheel with ABS bearings onto a 2013 without ABS. Removed and installed new bearings for him and the inner bearing spacer is the same size for ABS and non ABS. You reuse your non ABS outside spacers and all will be fine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I thought the same but just swapped a 2017 wheel with ABS bearings onto a 2013 without ABS. Removed and installed new bearings for him and the inner bearing spacer is the same size for ABS and non ABS. You reuse your non ABS outside spacers and all will be fine.
Man am I glad you said that ... I just did the bearings on my ABS 10 last Saturday and had the bearings stacked up on the bench for a while doing it. And they sure as hell looked the same thickness to me. I thought I was loosing it there for a bit! ...But I went with the All Balls bearings instead of stock...(cheaper and not Chinese)...so was thinking that might have made a difference. Spacer was there as mentioned, and everything fit fine when done.

Note: if you are using a home grown bearing press (I did), use extreme care to get the them in to the right depth or it will side-load the bearing making it turn hard when the axle is tight and fail prematurely. Tap tap test, tap tap test. don't just drive them home and go for it. Oh yeah, and check the manual for which one goes in first -(ABS side first on ABS bikes)- it matters.

I had to put the front wheel on twice because the distance collar had cocked just far enough to create a gap that made the wheel tight when I pressed it in the first time.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So I do or dont install the spacer behind the new bearing? If I dont the crush tube seems to be to long. Here is the spacer I'm talking about. I know to use the non abs spacers on the outside. Just didn't know about this inner one.
That tube is not a “crush tube” it’s just a spacer. When you install the primary side bearing you bottom in the wheel- install spacer tube-install second bearing until it meets spacer tube. Don’t press the two together with force or you’ll be side loading your sealed bearings.
What you are holding looks like the drive sprocket side outer spacer. That does not in any way go behind a wheel bearing.
The install directions above are very important. If you start bearing install from the wrong side of the wheel you’re going to be all kinds of F’ed up with your spacing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry but I dont understand. That spacer pictured came out from behind the old bearing. When I removed the first one and flipped the wheel it just fell out. If I dont use it, do I set the primary side bearing all the way down? Then drop in the tube and install the other bearing to the tube?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'm sorry but I dont understand. That spacer pictured came out from behind the old bearing. When I removed the first one and flipped the wheel it just fell out. If I dont use it, do I set the primary side bearing all the way down? Then drop in the tube and install the other bearing to the tube?
Let’s back this up for a sec’. I’m quite familiar with a 2013 so I so I’m having a hard time understanding where that came from because it is not an HD installed part. Couple questions that I may have missed-
Is this a factory wheel with ABS bearings or an aftermarket wheel?
Your bike has no ABS so you’re replacing the bearings with non-ABS?
When you pulled the first bearing that piece was behind the bearing, inside the wheel against the spacer tube?
Which bearing was that behind?
Are both your outer spacers, right/left, the same size?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is an aftermarket dna fat spoke wheel. It came off an abs bike. So I removed the abs bearing and figured I should replace the other side at the same time so I know they are good and new bearings. I'm installing it on a non abs bike. The spacer/washer in question was behind the old bearing on the non abs side. The washer/spacer is about as thick as the difference between the abs bearing and the non abs bearing. It was behind the bearing between the bearing and the wheel hub.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This is an aftermarket dna fat spoke wheel. It came off an abs bike. So I removed the abs bearing and figured I should replace the other side at the same time so I know they are good and new bearings. I'm installing it on a non abs bike. The spacer/washer in question was behind the old bearing on the non abs side. The washer/spacer is about as thick as the difference between the abs bearing and the non abs bearing. It was behind the bearing between the bearing and the wheel hub.
Without knowing anything about DNA wheels I’d say forget the washer. Bottom out the primary bearing- install the spacer tube and press the second bearing in until it contacts the spacer tube and you’re done. That’s what I would do....from here without seeing the wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's what I'm going to do also. Worst case scenario I have to pull it off and remove the bearings and put the spacer back in but at least I'll know. I may wait until after I remove the stock wheel and yank the bearings out of it and see what's going on there. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I think that's what I'm going to do also. Worst case scenario I have to pull it off and remove the bearings and put the spacer back in but at least I'll know. I may wait until after I remove the stock wheel and yank the bearings out of it and see what's going on there. Thanks for the help.
Just keep in mind that if you pull those bearings you will need to throw them away and put new ones in. Once you pull a bearing out it is trash and I would not trust it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already ordered another set. If I need them fine if not I'll have them either next time or for the stock wheel. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Already ordered another set. If I need them fine if not I'll have them either next time or for the stock wheel. Thanks for the input
Call DNA tech support, they know their product. Ask what the proper bearing/spacer/crush tube sequence is for your '13. They will know the specific spacer measurements. The hubs are designed to work with a lot of different bearings and years, so they use different inside spacers.

888 – 755 – 4070

1 - 15 of 15 Posts