Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have the answer. But I'm looking for confirmation while I wait for the part to arrive.

I have a 2013 RGC and I want to use the Accessory switch mounted next to the Cruise control switch located between the speedo/Tach and the Radio to cut the power on/off this mod.

I want to install this in my right side glove box and connect to the accessory wiring.

usb plug.jpg

I am guessing from another post that this is where I will locate the free end of the accessory plug.

TAPP_Lite_Deutsch_Plug_3.jpg

Do I need to get some wiring adaptor/extension from the dealer?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Yes, that's the plug for the Acc switch. However, I'm wondering why you'd go the trouble of routing through the Acc switch.

Why not just wire to something under the fairing that's switched on/off with the ignition (i.e. the cigarette lighter)? Seems much simpler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not to sure how waterproof that cap is, and I am reasonable sure that the glovebox is not waterproof.

So I figure it is easier to put on switch than trying to make either of those waterproof.

Overkill maybe?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm not to sure how waterproof that cap is, and I am reasonable sure that the glovebox is not waterproof.

So I figure it is easier to put on switch than trying to make either of those waterproof.

Overkill maybe?
I think so. That cap looks pretty water resistant to me. More so than the stock cigarette lighter, which is even more exposed. That looks like a really good solution. I wouldn't hesitate to mount it in the glovebox.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I believe I have the answer. But I'm looking for confirmation while I wait for the part to arrive.

I have a 2013 RGC and I want to use the Accessory switch mounted next to the Cruise control switch located between the speedo/Tach and the Radio to cut the power on/off this mod.

I want to install this in my right side glove box and connect to the accessory wiring.

View attachment 32489

I am guessing from another post that this is where I will locate the free end of the accessory plug.

View attachment 32497

Do I need to get some wiring adaptor/extension from the dealer?

Where did you get the USB from...I gotta have one of those...nice..

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well first thing, I had to get over the whole Goldwing verbage...but then I got it from here.

http://www.motorcycleaudioonline.com/products/Goldwing_Dual_USB_Auxiliary_Socket-175-0.html

It is a show Chrome item, but this was the cheapest I could find.

Also...shipping was $8.XX...too me over a week before I broke down and was willing to pay that much, just seemed like so much compared to the item itself.

I will post pics once I install it. And as a previous posted advised, I will probably just run it off the same wiring from the cigarrette lighter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took advantage of this rainy weekend and installed the USB Socket. (First time doing my own work, so be gentle. And Yes I know to many of you this will have been a very basic task.)

I won't detail the fairing removal as this is found in many other places and explained better than I could. (I will say that I used a utube video to give me some visual orientation.)

I started by measuring the inside of the glove box and picking the center of where I wanted the plug to sit.

20130712_110343.jpg

I chose a spot centered left to right and so the bottom of the plug would be about 1" from the bottom of the glove box. Using a dremil I made the initial hole. I planned on enlarging it from the back and made it small enough that the overall hole could be shifted left/right, up/down if necessary.

20130712_110323.jpg
Inside the fairing view and the side I enlarged the hole from.

Using a dremil with a cutting wheel, I just cut slots until it looked like an *.

I then got a metal file out and filed it round and to the size I wanted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once the hole was the size I wanted I inserted the plug, fit was tight enough that I was able to use the threads on the plug to "screw" it all the way in.

20130712_112711.jpg

I then followed the advice of one of the posters and ran the wires from the cigarette lighter and used shrink wrap (tube?) on teh connections.

Final product looked like this.

20130712_112748.jpg

I will say that putting the fairing back on was a little trickier than any thing else. I am still not 100% that it is exactly in place the lower fairing area just down't look like I remember...but it seems right and is stable.

I will compare with one at teh dealer today.

Thanks to all for any advise or recommendations.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
looks like that would work great! good job

·
Registered
87 Posts
I might be mistaken, but it seems like there should be a plastic nut that follows them threads back and secures the USB in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had this on for a while now and got a good weekend test. The main use for this was to keep my phone charged while I ride, since I use it as my music player and GPS.

I know it works in that my phone doesn't discharge as fast as it would if not plgged in, but....( there is always a but.)

Starting with a full charge, after a 10 hour riding day, playing music and using GPS, the phone ended up at about 18%.

I was expecting it to charge, or at least hold a steady state. Can this be that by connecting it to the cigarette lighter wiring it doesn't get enough juice?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have had this on for a while now and got a good weekend test. The main use for this was to keep my phone charged while I ride, since I use it as my music player and GPS.

I know it works in that my phone doesn't discharge as fast as it would if not plgged in, but....( there is always a but.)

Starting with a full charge, after a 10 hour riding day, playing music and using GPS, the phone ended up at about 18%.

I was expecting it to charge, or at least hold a steady state. Can this be that by connecting it to the cigarette lighter wiring it doesn't get enough juice?
It should have enough power, I have used a cig plug USB to charge devices. Check that you have the wires oriented correctly, positive/negative.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts