Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use Accel 8mm plug wires? If so what ya think? I might change mine out before the summer riding season.

·
Registered
362 Posts
According to HD stock plugs and wires are best. Something to do with the electronic ignition and computer. Then again what the hell do I know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have Accel wire set in yellow. I can't tell you if they perform better. I just got them because they were yellow.. LoL

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
When I changed my plug wires I went with the HD SE 8mm plug wires and they work great. The price was reasonable too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't speak on the F/I but i use to run them on my old Carbed Evo.

But i Went to autozone and got the universal hi preformance V-8 kit, you cut them to what ever length you wanted, crimped on the plugs and boot and it worked great, Plus you could make 3 to 4 sets for what one HD kit cost :D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I run them on my carbed Shovel with EI . Never had any problems.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
In some cases aftermarket plug wires, and spark plugs for that matter, can screw with the ion-sensing antiknock system on the EFI HD motors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In some cases aftermarket plug wires, and spark plugs for that matter, can screw with the ion-sensing antiknock system on the EFI HD motors.
+1 with the key wording being "in some cases".

Did a quick search and found these Accel 8mm WILL NOT interfere with your EFI motor.
Here> http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Accel_8mm_Spark_Plug_Ignition_Wires_Sets_for_Har_p/accel-8-hd.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you ever need to replace plug wires for some reason, Accel is an excellent brand... pricey but very high quality too. That said though, why change plug wires just because you can? As stated above, a choice like Q-Hog made is understandable but usually, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
With the problems we've witnessed over the years with Accel electrical products, we are mighty gun-shy of the use of any, 1), for our clients behalf, and 2), the PITA factor for us.
Taylor wires, and Cycle Electric products, here for years now.:)
Scott

P

·
0 Posts
taylor or noligy here (noligy is the only wire we`ve seen HP/TQ gains from,only wires we`ll run on our gas & nitro dragbikes)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Their okay on a bike with no electronics, but not on a modern bike. At the least they interfere with your radio, at the worst they will mess with the ecm. As a mechanic I just don't see why people continue to try to use parts not intended for their product.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Their okay on a bike with no electronics, but not on a modern bike. At the least they interfere with your radio, at the worst they will mess with the ecm. As a mechanic I just don't see why people continue to try to use parts not intended for their product.
This is getting confusing. Some yeas and some neys (from pros too).

As for EFI, here's a quote on that point:

+1 with the key wording being "in some cases".

Did a quick search and found these Accel 8mm WILL NOT interfere with your EFI motor.
Here>

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Accel_8mm_Spark_Plug_Ignition_Wires_Sets_for_Har_p/accel-8-hd.htm

Hope this helps!
I wonder if Accel is hit or miss these days?

Taylor looks like a more effective product now since both pros like them. Plain old Radio or EFI interference?

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I ran them on my carbed Shovel with ECM.for over twenty years with no problems. Not saying there isn't better out there.

As far as other Electronic parts go , its hard to beat the reliability of oem.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
When I brought mine, Accel Said it was made for my model & year & it will be perform better than stock.. So, was all of that a lie/misleading? I do have a slight humming noise from my radio that I can't seem to ground out...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 39 Posts