Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I only get to ride a couple of time a month, the bike sits for weeks between rides. The other day I jumped on it for a short ride and noticed it handling very strange. When I got home I found that the front tire was down 10 PSI. So today I was at the dealer and asked the service department why I would be losing tire pressure on a brand new bike. I was told that a 2 to 4 PSI loss per week is normal. This seems odd to me since I have never experienced this with any of my other bikes.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience with tires deflating this quickly?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Since I only get to ride a couple of time a month, the bike sits for weeks between rides. The other day I jumped on it for a short ride and noticed it handling very strange. When I got home I found that the front tire was down 10 PSI. So today I was at the dealer and asked the service department why I would be losing tire pressure on a brand new bike. I was told that a 2 to 4 PSI loss per week is normal. This seems odd to me since I have never experienced this with any of my other bikes.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience with tires deflating this quickly?

Sounds like a normal answer from someone at a dealer.
I think they teach them to give some answer so it sounds like they know what they are talking about.
2-4 #s a week is absurd. I’ve left mine sitting as long as you in winter and never lost that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Ridiculous! I top off the tires in December and by spring I have to let out some are because the relative pressure based on atmosphere has increased.

First. You should not have ridden without checking pressure.

Second. 10 lbs in a couple weeks would have me spraying the tire with a soapy water mix to check for air bubbles escaping from the tire, valve stem, and bead.

Find a new service tech.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there's really not much the dealer can do about it.
don't think you want to pay him for that anyway.
make it a habit to check them if the bike sits a week or three

·
Registered
258 Posts
Temperature goes down, the pressure will go down. Temperature goes up, the pressure will go up. I see you're in FL like me (a bit further south). In the Spring, the temps were all over the place. If you filled the tires on a warmer day, then a few weeks later when you checked, the temp had gone down, expect the pressure to have gone down.

After I cupped the tires on my first heavy bike (Ultra Limited), they told me to check the pressure every week or two. I do this now because tires are expensive. Prior I had been checking like I would do on my truck. It was pointed out to me that the volume of air in the truck tire is much, much greater than a motorcycle tire. Loose the same volume from the truck tire, you won't see much of a change compared to loosing the same volume from the motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Could a family member be messing with you? My sister was letting out 5 psi from the same tire on her exhubands truck for over a year he never was able to fix the leaking tire. She never told anyone until years after the divorce.

Larry, no offense but your sister sounds like a skilled terrorist. That is some next level shenanigans she was pulling. I hope he deserved it...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If mine lost 10 pounds I would be like others and have the spray bottle out looking for a pin hole. That said if you ever wonder why some of us get 20-23,000 miles on a rear tire and others only 5-14,000 Tire pressure is one one of them. Check mine every 1-2 weeks and tires last a lot longer. Few years back I had a front and rear tire wear a lot faster than they should have. Come to find out the tire gauge I was using was off by 3-5 pounds. Tossed it and changed tires next set right back to the wear I expected.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If mine lost 10 pounds I would be like others and have the spray bottle out looking for a pin hole. That said if you ever wonder why some of us get 20-23,000 miles on a rear tire and others only 5-14,000 Tire pressure is one one of them. Check mine every 1-2 weeks and tires last a lot longer. Few years back I had a front and rear tire wear a lot faster than they should have. Come to find out the tire gauge I was using was off by 3-5 pounds. Tossed it and changed tires next set right back to the wear I expected.

Now tell me where to buy an air gauge worth a shit?
I’ve ordered at least a half dozen from amazon looking for a good one. Price ranges were from a few dollars to $30+.
None of them will hardly even show the same # back to back times much less be right.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I bought this from joesracing.com. It works well. Make sure you get the one with the silver button on the gauge. It holds the PSI reading and can also be used to bleed off pressure.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
I have the same gauge as little wing , and an ancient eagle iron gauge and an even more ancient battery operated one , all three are within 1 pound of each other . I didnt ride for three months after a surgery several years ago and my pressure had gone down maybe a pound or two .. Tire pressure is important , and yes I am one who gets well over 25000 out of the tires ..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought this from joesracing.com. It works well. Make sure you get the one with the silver button on the gauge. It holds the PSI reading and can also be used to bleed off pressure.
What he said. You can get them on Amazon too. Be sure you get the 60 PSI bleed valve model. Best tire gauge ever. Comes with two different chucks.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Do you have tubeless or tubes? Tires with inner tubes leak faster. My VROD front tire would be low from leaking over the winter, but never, ever 2-4 PSI per week. That is terrible advise from someone in the service department. You have a slow puncture leak in your tire from a nail, etc, a leaky valve stem (a new valve or cap or new will help), or leaking around the seal on your rim.

You can put spit or water in your valve and look for bubbles. You can spray water around your rim and look for bubbles. Inspect your tire for some type of puncture.

Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can put spit or water in your valve and look for bubbles. You can spray water around your rim and look for bubbles. Inspect your tire for some type of puncture.

Good luck!
Add a little dishwashing soap (something like Dawn) to the water. It makes it easier to see the bubbles.

Got Kids? Do they like to play with that stuff where they blow bubbles. All that is is diluted dish soap, you can make it yourself a lot cheaper than buying the stuff made for the kids.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Add a little dishwashing soap (something like Dawn) to the water. It makes it easier to see the bubbles.

Got Kids? Do they like to play with that stuff where they blow bubbles. All that is is diluted dish soap, you can make it yourself a lot cheaper than buying the stuff made for the kids.

It doesn’t take much soap added to the water to work.
This is not one of those “if a little works, a lot should be better” things. Lol

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Could a family member be messing with you? My sister was letting out 5 psi from the same tire on her exhubands truck for over a year he never was able to fix the leaking tire. She never told anyone until years after the divorce.
That's a good one. A guy at work, that commutes a long way, got a new pickup truck. Every day we added a gallon for two months. He was bragging about the great gas mileage. The next two months we siphoned out a gallon a day. He was having a fit. The dealer thought he was nuts. He traded it in before we told him. Next couple months were really quite. He played a prank on someone, so then we told him. Another couple quite months before things got back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts