Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing out headlight bulbs on my 2011 RGU, I noted behind the right headlight (oriented as seated on the MC) black & red wires w/spade connectors. The red wire also had a red rubber cap over the connector.

Are they the accessory switch power leads and if not, what are they?? I'm looking to hook up my GPS to a power source and these look promising if that is what they are.

regards

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
They are just the connections to lights for the International models wiring.
The Accessory switch connection is under the seat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are just the connections to lights for the International models wiring.
The Accessory switch connection is under the seat.
Thank you RGR. So as connections for (international model) lights, they should power up when the ignition is turned on just like the headlights ? Sounds usable for my GPS power connection.

regards

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have my accessory lights plugged into them. On and off with ignition.

·
Registered
525 Posts
While changing out headlight bulbs on my 2011 RGU, I noted behind the right headlight (oriented as seated on the MC) black & red wires w/spade connectors. The red wire also had a red rubber cap over the connector.

Are they the accessory switch power leads and if not, what are they?? I'm looking to hook up my GPS to a power source and these look promising if that is what they are.

regards
That is exatly what I did with my Gramin Zumo (Road Tech) 665. Perfect location in my mind. Really cleaned up all the wiring hanging all over the place from my old Nuvi 550. They follow the exact same power set up as the headlights, always on with the main bike power switch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is exatly what I did with my Gramin Zumo (Road Tech) 665. Perfect location in my mind. Really cleaned up all the wiring hanging all over the place from my old Nuvi 550. They follow the exact same power set up as the headlights, always on with the main bike power switch.
Getting ready to buy a Zumo, please tell me more. How did you route your power cable to these connectors? Anything else that would be helpful.

Thanks,

G

·
Registered
525 Posts
Getting ready to buy a Zumo, please tell me more. How did you route your power cable to these connectors? Anything else that would be helpful.

Thanks,

G
I mounted on the left, so that I could follow the clutch cable, right into the back of the back of the inner fairing. If you pull the outer fairing, you'll see an easy path. I'd take pictures, but the bikes in "cold" storage at the dealer. Easiest install ever, IMO. Far easier than trying to use the Nuvi 550 I had on there originally.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I mounted on the left, so that I could follow the clutch cable, right into the back of the back of the inner fairing. If you pull the outer fairing, you'll see an easy path. I'd take pictures, but the bikes in "cold" storage at the dealer. Easiest install ever, IMO. Far easier than trying to use the Nuvi 550 I had on there originally.
No need for pics, that's good enough. Thanks so much.

G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you RGR. So as connections for (international model) lights, they should power up when the ignition is turned on just like the headlights ? Sounds usable for my GPS power connection.

regards
I'm thinking that those "loose wires" (that run a sort of parking light on the European headlight) go OFF when you hit the HI-BEAM. Can anyone confirm this?

The Kuryakn folks use them for their Driving Lights install and DEPEND on them going OFF when the HI-BEAM goes on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm thinking that those "loose wires" (that run a sort of parking light on the European headlight) go OFF when you hit the HI-BEAM. Can anyone confirm this?

The Kuryakn folks use them for their Driving Lights install and DEPEND on them going OFF when the HI-BEAM goes on.
That connection DOES NOT go off on High Beam. I wired my GPS into these last week and as long as the ignition is on or in the accessory position my GPS has power...regardless of the position of the Hi/Lo Switch position. I was confident of this, but just went to my garage and confirmed it.

G

·
Registered
525 Posts
That connection DOES NOT go off on High Beam. I wired my GPS into these last week and as long as the ignition is on or in the accessory position my GPS has power...regardless of the position of the Hi/Lo Switch position. I was confident of this, but just went to my garage and confirmed it. G
Agreed and also confirmed, on the US spec bike, it's always on with the Bike's power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
can anyone tell me what wire was used to connect your GPS to this connector I am sure there has to be a direct wire solution for the GPS to eliminate the Cigerette adapter?

·
Registered
192 Posts
can anyone tell me what wire was used to connect your GPS to this connector I am sure there has to be a direct wire solution for the GPS to eliminate the Cigerette adapter?
The Motorcycle cradle comes with power cable attached to the cradle. Run the cable through the hole in the rear of the fairing where all other cables run. Put 1/4" Blade connectors on the end of the cradle wiring...red to red, black to black and every time you turn on the RG your GPS will power up.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kuryakn Driving Lights (power and wattage)

Agreed and also confirmed, on the US spec bike, it's always on with the Bike's power.
Yup, that sure does look like it works with or witout HI-BEAM on. I guess Kuryakn was wrong about that.

I've got a wire fished under the tank now from the ACC switch Deutsch plug now, so I'll be using that to power the lights, IF I ever get them working!

I got mine all wired up now, and NO LIGHT from the Driving Lights. The turn signals work fine. Can I possibly be SO unlucky as to get TWO bad bulbs in one kit??? Sod's Law in action.

Say, while I'm talking about changing the bulbs... Has anyone put in bulbs HIGHER than 35 watts in their Kuryakn Driving Lights? I was thinking maybe 55 watts in each?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Exactly what my Indy did when he wired up my Zumo last Friday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts