Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been home for a month now since shoulder surgery so I'm bored out of my mind. Decided to check my ccp today just for grins. Service manual says to pull system relay from fuse block to check without acr's opening and to put it back in to check with them opening. With it pulled I got 200 on the front cyl and 198 on the rear. With it back in I got 140 on the front and 198 on the rear. So my rear acr doesn't seem to be opening like it should. Any suggestions as to what I should check? Never had acr's before this bike just the manual type.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When I checked mine I didn't pull the fuze and I got the same numbers as you. I didn't try it the other way. Hang in there with the shoulder I've had 21 surgeries on the right with three total replacements the last being a reverse shoulder joint thanks to a staph infection and 6 on the left its a miracle I can even ride be sure and listen to your dr I'm hard headed and had a few setbacks but I've seen the opposite where people wouldn't move it at all and had to go back under and have it moved for them good luck on your recovery bud

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moose1 thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to do the rehab thing exactly like they tell me so I only have to go through this once.
Now, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should check or how to go about it to fix this rear acr?

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
To check the compression you must
1 remove air cleaner cover and air filter.
2-pull the ACR fuse or disconnect the ACR wires, the ACR wire connection are located above the throttle body behind the air cleaner.
3- pull TCA (throttle control actuator) wire plug that attached to the throttle body, this plug is located behind the air cleaner to the rear of the throttle body. Failure to disconnect the TCA plug will cause the throttle control gears inside the TCA to strip and the only way to fix the stripped gears is to get a new Throttle Body.
4-pull both spark plugs
5- hold open the throttle plate while cranking the engine while performing compression test.
Following these procedures will give you a accurate compression test.

If you think the ACRs are not working right check the ACR plugs by the throttle body and see if you are getting power to the plugs when you activate the ignition.
The bike will start just fine without ACR function. My 08 has a 103 build in it with 10:1 compression with no ACRs and stock starter and it has no problem starting.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Moose1 thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to do the rehab thing exactly like they tell me so I only have to go through this once.
Now, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should check or how to go about it to fix this rear acr?
You can pull it out and clean it with some carb cleaner, but if it is opening and closing I wouldn't worry about it. Once you are back riding you can try the seafoam type of products to clean any carbon build up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To check the compression you must
1 remove air cleaner cover and air filter.
2-pull the ACR fuse or disconnect the ACR wires, the ACR wire connection are located above the throttle body behind the air cleaner.
3- pull TCA (throttle control actuator) wire plug that attached to the throttle body, this plug is located behind the air cleaner to the rear of the throttle body. Failure to disconnect the TCA plug will cause the throttle control gears inside the TCA to strip and the only way to fix the stripped gears is to get a new Throttle Body.
4-pull both spark plugs
5- hold open the throttle plate while cranking the engine while performing compression test.
Following these procedures will give you a accurate compression test.

If you think the ACRs are not working right check the ACR plugs by the throttle body and see if you are getting power to the plugs when you activate the ignition.
The bike will start just fine without ACR function. My 08 has a 103 build in it with 10:1 compression with no ACRs and stock starter and it has no problem starting.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Did all the above steps you mentioned as per service manuel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The ACR is not an on/off item. The ACR is controlled by the ECM through the ground side . It will pulse on and off to target a cranking RPM. ACR's do fail its not as uncommon as many think. As most of them will still start up with out issue and very few check the compression. So many are no aware that one or both in some cases are not working. It is also not uncommon to see two different CCP numbers with the ACRS engaged.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you unhook the T/B and crank it most time it will set a code. Being that it is a FBW unit that has no IAC( idle air control motor) you can crank it and you will still get the same compression. The plate will open up and allow air through. It many take a few more revolutions but you will end with the same result. I have tested it both ways. Which way you want to do it.

As IRON stated his bike at 10.1 comp ratio fires right up.. They are nice and work very well. Also as build go the ECM will adjust the duty cycle of the ACR to keep the cranking RPM target. Meaning the ACR does not only reduce compression by 50 lbs it may be more or less is what I am saying.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I know this wasn't my post but thanks for the info I might get to the bottom of why my bike doesn't run right

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The way I understand the ACRs to function is they are activated when the ignition is turned on and they stay activated until the engine is turned over to a preset rotation in the ECM such as 2 rpm which is detected by the crank positioning sensor.
The ACRs will close after the bike turns over the required rpm that is set in the ECM and it doesn't matter if the bike is running or not.
On my T-Max ECM I can change the setting on the ACRs to whatever rpm I want the ACRs to close. I used this feature when I had heads on my bike that had ACRs in them, I am now using my stock heads which did not come with ACRs.

You MUST unhook the TCA plug on the throttle body or the throttle control gears can strip. Yes it will throw a DTC but the DTC can be cleared with no problem, there is a sticky in the troubleshooting section that will tell you how to clear the DTCs.
The throttle plate must be held open for the correct compression reading.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
And when performing a ccp, insure the acr's are disabled, battery charger in place on a fully charged battery, air cleaner off, throttle plate wide open and 8 complete cranks on the starter.:)
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts