Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will add pictures of the apes on my bike tomorrow, and explain how I did it , I will say this it was a. Bitch at times !

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding the cables they are a bitch , only the throttle side , reason being the narrow end is really hard to add both at the same time so I got smart and gave about 10" room for the controls that way I pulled them through before pulling the throttle

·
Registered
211 Posts
Adding the cables they are a bitch , only the throttle side , reason being the narrow end is really hard to add both at the same time so I got smart and gave about 10" room for the controls that way I pulled them through before pulling the throttle

Can't wait to see results. I ordered mine on June 7th. Did you go with 14s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you plan on doing this yourself , make sure you have a helper ! and if you have rubber mat , drape it over the tanks first thing ! if you follow the video its straightforward , but you will have to do some things , when you take off the controls , loosen both screws , lift up on the little lock thingie (the U shaped thing) , that thing has a nipple closest to the tank so you have to make sure its pops , then it will slide off, then take the control panel off : three plugs one in the middle , two on each side , that's done ! now (what i did from here was take the brakes off , wrap them in a towel so they don't scratch shit and let them hang , now loosen the risers nuts , pull bars towards you and then unplug the cables, now you can take the bars off completely ! Next thing is take the controls off the bars leave them attached to the cables (on the 17's you dont have to de-pin the plugs either) , you can pretty much just start pulling the lines up from here , same with the clutch line after , if you want to (if you plan on using the stock grips , i did , ill replace them later) , use a wrap wrench , like the kind you use to take the oil filter off with on the clutch side grip , it will come right off after a few turns !

Now on the new bars , use whatever you want to fish the line, i didn't have the plumbers line like in the video so i used a strong string and tied a nut to the end , run it through the end of the throttle side , you'll have to shake it to get to the bottom , once there pull a little bit of the string out for the controls, place the plugs one in front of the other and use electrical tape , then start fishing it (make sure you still have enough string for the throttle, then do the same for the throttle wire , once the controls go though , just make sure they stay in place until the throttle wire goes through , do the same on the clutch ok easy huh!!

, now go back to the molex connectors in the center console and pull the back plate out as far as it will go , then cut the zip ties to release it , now you'll have to push the molex connectors off of it , its takes patience , while there you might as well cut the zip ties (there hard to get to) that hold the brake lines , it will be easier get to the brake lines later that way ! now add the bars to the bike connecting the molex together , MAKE SURE TO TEST THE HEIGHT YOU WANT IT FIRST! now position the controls and brakes together on the bars and loosely tighten them , position the bars the way you want , turn the bike on electrically to make sure the connectors are correct , even start it up , all good , now tighten the controls and brakes , tighten the riser cap , add the control console , remember the big molex and 2 small ones snap in and tighten the console up , your now ready to ride!

btw , when your trying to get the clutch side controls off the trip meter button slides right off , then the cover will come off , youll have to fuck with the inside of the controls for second to see where they snap off , no big deal really , when i added the grip back i used two sided take as far up as i could and then re used the wrap wrench to get all the way up ! In the video it takes like 45 minutes or something , for me and my buddy it took a couple of hours (and 6 packs , it was fucking 97 degrees in the shop!

Also in the center console there are two extra molex ports those im assuming are for heated grips ? when you are doing the clutch youll have to put the line down until it goes (under the console ) otherwise you wont be able close the console and screw it back , its ok , it gives an extra half inch and you will have plenty cable left as well , it may look like it at first , but aft a little play it will show !

So I hope this helps anyone else trying to do this ! It is doable and you dont have to be a mechanic !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where did you get cables for your M8? Did you order the lower front brake cables?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't need new cables if your only going to 14". The stock cables are fine, HD zip ties them in the console , cut the zip and get an extra inch and a half

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome information! I have mine being delivered on Monday. I was quoted 7 hours labor at the dealer (fat chance in hell I will pay 840 for just install). An Indy shop said 450 if they don't have any trouble (not going to do that either). I will conquer this with a friend. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed 12". Should have gone with the 14... It was a pain, took about 4 hours. I used the chain they showed in video. About $3 and Home depot. Feeding the throttle or break line(second line you feed through) got tricky, kept getting stuck. Had to walk away for a bit so I wouldn't "over-react". One little trick a saw from a different online video was put powder on the tape. Made it slide through with no problem. Good luck with install. much better to do it yourself then spend $800..

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll need to adjust the clutch position as its a little under where I like it , but it works fine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part of the excitement these bars offer is actually putting them on, it was pretty fun, took awhile and it was frustrating at times , good reason ton drink a few beers while doing it , feels great riding too

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures? Did this really happen? My delivery is for tomorrow, I may sit by the door waiting for my F47 14's to arrive.
Added a few pics in this thread

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Currently using the stock grips, I'll likely add iso grips all black

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to receive mine and do the install. I can't stand the stock bars (look ok pushed forward) my hand position and severe back and shoulder pain after 5 hours are unbearable.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You'll like the difference and feel better riding almost immediately

1 - 20 of 68 Posts