Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I've added a Kenwood power amp and four Polk Audio speakers to my bike, and thought I might share how it all turned out. If you click on the link below, you'll see the album with all the pics. Click on the first pic, and you'll see a detailed description of each pic on the right side, along with a scroll arrow to scroll to the next picture.

I completed this build with a cost of just $273.78 for the amp, and speakers. And believe me when I tell you - it sounds incredible for a motorcycle audio system. If you are a bit on the OCD side like me, then it will take you a couple days to wire it all up the way I did it - but you'll save thousands of dollars doing it all yourself.

I assure you - this setup sounds amazing. I'm a musician, producer and have made my living in the music industry for many years. My ears know what they hear and are very critical. For a motorcycle system and especially considering the cost - it sounds amazing. I tried taking a video of how it sounds - but it keeps distorting the audio on the video as soon as I turn it up. Believe me - it's freakin' LOUD. I don't even have the amp turned up halfway yet to break in the speakers.

I went with the Kenwood KAC-M3004 600W, 4 channel power amp. It's small, and all-digital. Got it on Amazon for $103. The Polk Audio speakers are DB-651 marine speakers and on Amazon for $65/pair.

Of course, there were some miscellaneous expenses for wires and connectors - but I already had all of that in my electronics tool box.

Here's the link for the pictures. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

https://goo.gl/photos/NyC6n5hLwLHVD1ad8

BLESSINGS!
Sam

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
You replaced the rear speakers and added a pair to the lowers if I'm seeing all that correctly. Did you do anything to the speakers in the upper fairing? Are they still there and running on the stock amp?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You replaced the rear speakers and added a pair to the lowers if I'm seeing all that correctly. Did you do anything to the speakers in the upper fairing? Are they still there and running on the stock amp?
That's all correct. I tried going with Stage II fairing speakers, but it seems like the CVO's harnesses are not compatible for some reason. The main thing here is that you don't nee to get one of the systems from J&M Rokker or Hogtronics or any of those over-priced systems because of the CAN-bus system on the newer Rushmore bikes. You can have killer, clear, LOUD sound without having to deal with one of those expensive "plug-n-play" systems. If you are willing to put in a little sweat equity on your own.

The Kenwood amp's gain is turned up more than the factory system puts out, so you barely hear the sound from the two Stage I fairing speakers over the sound coming from the new Polk speakers. And it's not even at 50% gain yet.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
That's all correct. I tried going with Stage II fairing speakers, but it seems like the CVO's harnesses are not compatible for some reason. The main thing here is that you don't nee to get one of the systems from J&M Rokker or Hogtronics or any of those over-priced systems because of the CAN-bus system on the newer Rushmore bikes. You can have killer, clear, LOUD sound without having to deal with one of those expensive "plug-n-play" systems. If you are willing to put in a little sweat equity on your own.

The Kenwood amp's gain is turned up more than the factory system puts out, so you barely hear the sound from the two Stage I fairing speakers over the sound coming from the new Polk speakers. And it's not even at 50% gain yet.
Seems odd that the CVO Ultra is not compatible while they have them on the Sleaze Glides unless they're using a totally different harness. I'd think you could take the feed for the rear stock speakers out of the BI amp and use them to power the tweeters in the B II speakers while leaving the front feeds to the mids of the B II speakers. That's all they're doing on the SESG.\ unless the cross overs are programmed in the BII amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts