Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this 4 channel amplifier in sturgis last season and had plans to buy 2 more lid speakers for a total of 4 speakers. Well I really do not have an extra $1000 laying around so I am wondering if it is still worth it to install the amplifier and just use the 2-fairing speakers?

I have the J & M HRSK-7252GTM 7-1/4's in there now and am pretty confident they will be able to handle the extra oomph but is it worth all the hassle of going into the fairing and installing an amp if I am not going to install 2 additional speakers.

Will I notice a big improvement with just the added amp with the J & M speakers and a stock radio??

Also what is the best price you have found for decent lid speakers? My bike is vivid black?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Adding an amp and head unit with two speakers will really change things and be well worth it. I'm not a fan of bag speakers as I find them useless being behind me but I run an after market head unit, an amp and two speakers and my system absolutely rocks. i could care less how it sounds sitting still which is were bag speakers shine in my opinion. I ride the thing.

I am sure all with bag speakers will disagree but I see it as a complete waste of money after having them on another bike. I don't do bike nights or shows, i bought the thing to ride.

So, my BT 7.1"'s, RF amp and money head unit get the job done and get it done very well. That being said if you need help spending money on stuff I can make you a great deal.

Drew

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Yes adding an amp with oem head unit and aftermarket replacement speakers will make a big difference. Just make sure the ohms are right between the amp and speakers.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
You are not adding any extra power to the 2 fairing speakers anyways.
A speaker is considered a channel so a 250 watt 2 channel amp puts 125 watts to each speaker that is why it is a 250 watt amp.
The 500 watt 4 channel amp puts 125 watts to each speaker that is why it is a 500 watt amp. That is the same power to each speaker no matter what amp you use.
As long as you only hook the front speakers to the amps front speaker wires you are only using 250 watts or 125 watts per speaker.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adding an amp and head unit with two speakers will really change things and be well worth it. I'm not a fan of bag speakers as I find them useless being behind me but I run an after market head unit, an amp and two speakers and my system absolutely rocks. i could care less how it sounds sitting still which is were bag speakers shine in my opinion. I ride the thing.

I am sure all with bag speakers will disagree but I see it as a complete waste of money after having them on another bike. I don't do bike nights or shows, i bought the thing to ride.

So, my BT 7.1"'s, RF amp and money head unit get the job done and get it done very well. That being said if you need help spending money on stuff I can make you a great deal.

Drew
Thanks, I feel the same way.

Yes adding an amp with oem head unit and aftermarket replacement speakers will make a big difference. Just make sure the ohms are right between the amp and speakers.
Thank you, anything I can read or see that would help explain this a lil?

You are not adding any extra power to the 2 fairing speakers anyways.
A speaker is considered a channel so a 250 watt 2 channel amp puts 125 watts to each speaker that is why it is a 250 watt amp.
The 500 watt 4 channel amp puts 125 watts to each speaker that is why it is a 500 watt amp. That is the same power to each speaker no matter what amp you use.
As long as you only hook the front speakers to the amps front speaker wires you are only using 250 watts or 125 watts per speaker.
Good to know thanks

You could do Hog Tunes lids with infinity kappas for ~$400.
Thanks for the tip, I think I will skip adding lid speakers for now.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Thanks, I feel the same way.

Thank you, anything I can read or see that would help explain this a lil?

Good to know thanks

Thanks for the tip, I think I will skip adding lid speakers for now.
The speaker's ohm rating must not be rated lower than your amps ohm rating. I'll give you a link that gets more explanatory when I get home.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
So I bought this 4 channel amplifier in sturgis last season and had plans to buy 2 more lid speakers for a total of 4 speakers. Well I really do not have an extra $1000 laying around so I am wondering if it is still worth it to install the amplifier and just use the 2-fairing speakers?

I have the J & M HRSK-7252GTM 7-1/4's in there now and am pretty confident they will be able to handle the extra oomph but is it worth all the hassle of going into the fairing and installing an amp if I am not going to install 2 additional speakers. them.

Will I notice a big improvement with just the added amp with the J & M speakers and a stock radio??

Also what is the best price you have found for decent lid speakers? My bike is vivid black?

Thanks
YES! You can upgrade later. I bought a 4 channel amp and just had front speakers at first, knowing that i would be adding additional speakers at some point. I added speakers to my lowers eventually.

If those are not the ROKKER speakers from J&M, they may not be able to handle as much as the amp can put out, so make sure you adjust the gain at full volume, so you dont blow the speakers by distorting.

I would think you will notice dramatically.

i dont have speaker lids so i cannot give you direction for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts