Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to add the CB module to my 16 RGU for an upcoming ride. I got the CB Module PN 76000188 and I also ordered the CB antenna and bracket w/ bolts from the dealer. Same as the dealers 350 buck kit but got 160.00. Now one thing that I did not find anywhere but by accident is that the CB PPT is on the right side Seeing as how my 16 RGU does not have that I need now need one.

Is there anyone that could guide me to a salvage yard that might have the hand controls off a 14 - 17 Ultra limited of CVO touring.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't know of any salvage yards, but if you buy the lighted hand controls set it comes with the PTT button. There have been a couple of threads on the other forum about adding CBs, I'm not sure what all is involved as far as a harness/flash but there are threads out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a huge motorcycle salvage yard in Jordan MN. I can’t remember the name of it off hand. Google should be able to give you the rest of the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. I got the CB module from AZ Cycle Parts | eBay Stores But did not see and hand controls.

I cannot search for CB on this forum, not enough letters for a search. when I add module it just searches for module. very frustrating. I did see the new lighted hand controls. 250.00 for the set is not too bad, may have to go that route. The harness should be ok as the hand controls use the canbus system. The flash might be an issue, hoping it is just the CVO flash and all Ultra CVO and Ultra Limited had the CB factory installed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is no flash needed for the Cb install, the radio will see the module when it powers up. The lighted controls are the best way to get the PTT switch-I wish I'd done that when I had my CB installed (dealer did it when I bough the bike).

As for the search, did you try the google search feature? Here is one of "CB install" (if the link works):

Road Glide Forums - Search Results for cb install

·
Registered
260 Posts
No flash needed as already mentioned. The CB will be recognized automatically. Mine didn’t require a flash. I lucked out when a friend with a CVO Streetglide was talked into purchasing the Hand controls with the PTT for his upgrade. Someone he ended up getting a non-lighted switch with PTT. He gave it to me for free which saved me the money. But those lighted Hand controls sure are pretty.

Go through Boardtracker, PCPain (user name on this forum, John at Horny Hoad HD), or a couple of other online discount H-D parts stores for a discount on that $250 price tag.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You may want to locate the PTT on the left instead of the right. I had mine switched, main reason that many times the use of the PTT is not conducive to throttle control. Couple times I reached for the PTT and accidentally surged the throttle, at uncomfortable moments in a tight curve, not a good thing. Lot fewer issues operating the cruise control when it is located on the right thumb instead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The CB does work without a flash. I did look up parts but in the end the look would be better with the lighted controls and not that much more. I did confirm the CB works by disassembling the switch and hitting the individual buttons.
I will reach out to John and see what price he can get me.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to locate the PTT on the left instead of the right. I had mine switched, main reason that many times the use of the PTT is not conducive to throttle control. Couple times I reached for the PTT and accidentally surged the throttle, at uncomfortable moments in a tight curve, not a good thing. Lot fewer issues operating the cruise control when it is located on the right thumb instead.
How did you have it switched. I understand how to physically switch the caps but how was the software controls switched? Left side is where my 11 Electra Glide had the PTT.

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
How did you have it switched. I understand how to physically switch the caps but how was the software controls switched? Left side is where my 11 Electra Glide had the PTT.

Thanks
Yes, my ‘97 Ultra Classic was on the left, and the JMCorp handlebar mounted CB I ran on my Road King had the PTT on the left where I believe it safely should be. My dealer did the switch for me when I requested it, and since I had the new CB installed on my new RGU, they performed the switch for me at no cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Well looked at the suggested website, thanks for the info, and they were out of stock on the switches. Also found out that they are backordered until Feb. Got lucky and found them at Big Sky HD in Montana. They swapped out with no problem. I will have to get some better pic. They look sharp when lite who know how they will work when riding cause I don't look at them.

If anyone has the instruction to swap the cruse with the PPT let me know. My local deal does not think it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very cool !

If anyone has the instruction to swap the cruse with the PPT let me know. My local deal does not think it can be done.
They think it physically can't be done? I can't help with that part, never done it or read about it. But if they think it can't be programmed to swap them, they are 100% wrong.

Read this thread on the HDForums: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1198180-ptt-switch-move.html

Here is the only one I could find here although there may be others: http://www.roadglide.org/3-*general-road-glide-discussions-pictures/337610-hd-digi-tech-update.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very cool !

They think it physically can't be done? I can't help with that part, never done it or read about it. But if they think it can't be programmed to swap them, they are 100% wrong.
Physically swapping buttons is the easy part. Just pull the button straight off and switch sides. Pushes right back on.

Thanks for the info, when it warms up I'll take her in to get it done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts