Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drilled my Tour Pak to accept the OEM led light bar. I was worried I would screw up using a template so I spent a little extra money, got a donor light and made a template out of it. I closed up all the holes that were not to be drilled and marked all of the holes to be drilled with some paint....didn't want to take any chances of drilling in the wrong place

The template enabled me to clamp the light bezel in place, drill my holes and mount the new light in short order.

I stopped to take a pic before finishing the big hole for the light connection as I didn't want to forget to show a pic of the holes

And here it is mounted.

Next will be wiring it up.

One thing I am unsure on is the CB antenna and why Harley didn't bring the full coax to the antenna base like they do on the AMFM antenna. The same antenna base will work on the CB side and it could still be grounded to the metal plate in the base of the tour pak like the AMFM antenna setup.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Nice work. Cant wait to see the finished project.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Just seeing this. I could've sent you a template I made for when I mounted mine.. looks good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tour pak is wired up and lights work. Just waiting on the local Harley shop to get the AM/FM cable in and I'll have full functionality. I am also using the Custom Dynamics Magic Strobes and it strobes the light right in sync with the others

I am not sure if I am going to add speaker pods so I ran the harness through the floor of the tour pak. The QD mount makes for a great place to run wire though I will need to get some trim to keep the wire from chaffing on the edge.

Rather simple install really...just need to get the liner to finish it off.

I also want to get a set of the side marker light to get rid of the chrome trim.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That tourpak looks real nice.
How was it drilling the mounting holes in the tourpak plastic....did the paint chip out or did it make for a clean hole.
I'm in the process of drilling four holes in the lid of my tourpak to mount a luggage rack.....looks kinda scary!
Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That tourpak looks real nice.
How was it drilling the mounting holes in the tourpak plastic....did the paint chip out or did it make for a clean hole.
I'm in the process of drilling four holes in the lid of my tourpak to mount a luggage rack.....looks kinda scary!
Thanks.
Thanks! I am pleased with the way it turned out.

Drilling was very easy, no chipping and nice clean holes. I used sharp bits at about mid speed on a 2000 rpm drill. For the big hole where the plug goes I used a die grinder with some weird bit I have, drilled a hole and opened it up.

It really couldn't have gone any better....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for your quick response....those holes in your tourpak look clean...no chip-out of the paint....now to get to my tourpak.....safe riding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looking good. I went with the late model king like yours but left the lights off. Now your are making me rethink that.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
All you have to do now is paint the black border of your light bar the same color as your bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You did a great job. This is how mine look.
Looks great! Who did the paint? Did they remove the lens or just tape it?

On my donor light I attempted to remove the lens but it is glued all the way around and I ended up melting the lens before the glue would turn loose.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Really nice job there. I am super anal about things like this and would've spent hours stressing over it. You'd think for the money all these pieces costs, MOCO could have put together a nice template kit for folks.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
DO NOT remove the lens, just have them tape it off and paint the borders.. should be real easy for a painter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really nice job there. I am super anal about things like this and would've spent hours stressing over it. You'd think for the money all these pieces costs, MOCO could have put together a nice template kit for folks.
You'd think wouldn't you. Heck a cross hair or dimple for each location inside the pak would have been even better. Surely that would not be hard in the mold process.

I stressed for about two weeks before pulling the trigger on the drill.

What I believe it to be, MOCO doesn't want one turning a Special into an Ultra. They are trying to force your hand into buying the more expensive bike.

Even if I tie up as much $$$ as buying an Ultra it is done my way with the parts I want and the parts I don't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts