Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey JM_John, or anyone that wants to chime in,

I've got a J&M 500W amp and a set of the first gen Rokker speakers in my fairing and Tour Pak. If I wanted to add a set of lower fairing speakers, how would I wire them up? In series on the front channel?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, to clarify, I guess what I'm asking is, "What's the best way to wire six speakers to a 4 channel amp?" Particularly when two of those speakers will be periodically removed from the system (detachable tour pak).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You might want to ask John L about that...

I would wire the 4 front speakers as if there were no rear speakers, and tie in the rears with the front lowers...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, agreed, that's the way I'd like to go. Problem is, I've got to figure how to wire it so I can still remove the tour pak without leaving the amp with a pair of 2 ohm speakers in parallel (resulting in a 1 ohm load... not good).

I'm thinking, with 4 2ohm speakers on one channel they'd have to be wired something like this:

So, I'm trying to figure out which two could be taken out with the TP without smoking the system. Gotta be a better way.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I talked to someone at J&M. They recommend running the 4 front speakers (Fairing and Lowers) off the 2 front channels and wire them in series. They offer a plug and play harness for this for $79 (or less from DCP). It's a very simple series circuit, so I think I'll just make my own. This will present a 4 ohm load to the amp, of course, but they say the amps are good with anything from 2-16 ohm loads, you just have to adjust the gain accordingly.

The rear TP speakers will continue to run off the two rear channels.

If anyone has a better idea, please let me know, but for now, this will be the plan.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
JKAYas ,,,,

how did you do with the in-series wiring on the front 4 speakers ? ,,,,,,,,,

once that was done, were you able to increase the front channel gains on the amp to compensate ?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John,

I haven't done it yet. My lower speakers won't be here until next week. However, I don't think I'll wire all four fronts to the front channels. My tour pak will be detached maybe 70-80 percent of the the time and I don't like the idea of wasting the two rear channels all that time.

So, I think I'll wire the four front speakers to the amp and just run the Tour Pak speakers straight off the head unit (unamped) for now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
JayKS ,,,,,,,,

that will work very well also and that way, like you intend, you can remove your tourpack without impacting the sound of your audio system, or fiddling around disconnecting a bunch of wires ,,,,,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts