Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shop manual and while attempting to adjust the steering head bearing I followed the directions to perform the fall away test and where I should see three swings it was almost five!:eek: I did have a slight shimmy a few times but nothing too scary like what I heard on this forum. The manual tells you to locate the star adjuster nut under the steering head nut. Well it was a bitch to find because it sure ain't obvious:mad:
I hope this helps anyone thinking of attempting this adjustment.

Here's the hot tip I needed to find and after three days and nights of searching I finally found what I was looking for!!!!
The elusive star adjuster is UNDER the top triple tree. It is very hard to see from below but you CAN see it....barely!

You need a simple tool to move the adjuster nut. I don't think a center punch would work unless its very long and thin. The shop manual shows how to make a tool and that would work perfectly I am sure. 16" long would be right. I used a long slender flat blade screw driver and it took a bit of finess but I did get it to work with a couple light easy taps with a hammer. Remember to loosen the pinch bolts first and the top nut. I ended up also removing the instrument bezel and nacelle to access the awkward spot that the star adjuster nut is. A small movement on this adjuster makes a big difference. Double check your adjustment after you re-torque your nutz.
Good luck and remember if I can do it any one can.
Cheers!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Even with a picture it's hard to find. Took me a couple of days and even had someone who knew where it was who couldn't find it. Once found it's a b*tch to turn, but a little goes a long way so don't over do it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blahdow21
Thanks for posting the link for the pic. The writer of that article went a step further raising the top triple tree to access and it still wasn't real clear to see was it.

ameleo
it is a bit of a bitch to turn but I found if you fabricate a tool as the manual says it makes it way easier and yes, a little turn goes a long way!. It sure doesn't take much.

thanks for posting

·
Registered
487 Posts
if you click on the picture in that link it will change to full size (huge), then the star is easily seen. i couldnt see it at all in the small size. looks more like a gear ring than a star.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't forget to check tire pressure. I had some shimmy developing, right around 35 - 40 mph. Checked the fall away, and it was right on spec. Turns out the front tire was running a bit low (14 lbs).

Lesson learned, not all shimmy is caused by the head bearings. Monitor tire pressure more often.

Second lesson learned, next tire change, get the right angle valve stems
:mad::mad:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have heard the fall away on the later models has been changed by HD to only 1- 1 1/2 swings even tho the manual says 3... check with your dealer..
thats how mine is set and problem went away for a while I did notice it again the other day but it is only when I let go of the bars ...dont have to do that too often

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even with a picture it's hard to find. Took me a couple of days and even had someone who knew where it was who couldn't find it. Once found it's a b*tch to turn, but a little goes a long way so don't over do it.
A little goes a long way. I know over tightening is very serious, any one have any thoughts, are we turning it 1/32 1/8 turn.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
just give it a tap on the star nut and then recheck the fal away. When I did mine I would guess it was like moving it just a rch vs 1/8 of a turn. You just need to get your tool ( I made mine out of 1/4" drill rod) hooked on one fo the cogs and give it a tap with a hammer probably moves 1/16-1/8" at the most. then check the fall away and repeat if necassary

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Good post here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I gave up searching and ended up dropping the forks and removing the upper tree. Changed fork oil and basically went through everything in the front end while I was at it so I felt it was time and effort well spent.
One thing that did surprise me was the head bearing grease. All these years I've been giving the head bearing the cursory 3-4 squeezes of the gun. When I had the front end apart I decided to see what it took to actually pump enough until grease comes out of the top bearing race (per Service Manual).
Just about 1/2 to 3/4 tube to get there. My lesson, those bearings are packed at assembly, and the neck is dry. In order to "comply" with the service manual, you need to fill the neck.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just about 1/2 to 3/4 tube to get there. My lesson, those bearings are packed at assembly, and the neck is dry. In order to "comply" with the service manual, you need to fill the neck.:cool:
So is this something I need to do??? For some reason it doesn't surprise me that there is a requirment to grease the neck and the factory doesn't do it...

I just took my brand new FLTRU in for this issue and had the shop adjust it. it is WAY better now only a little shake when I let off from 42ish to 50... I was getting headshake while I was riding with both hands on the bars.

I used to be able to let go of the bars on my Street Glide from 80mph down to stop with not so much as a twinge. Why does my Road Glide do this?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The shop manual shows how to make a tool...
I picked up some 1/4" round stock at the hardware store at lunch. Figure I'll make a tool and try the adjustment tonight.

At least the manual shows how to make a simple tool, rather than requiring a special, dealer only, tool. Kind of surprising, actually.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't forget ...

Remember to loosen the for tube clamps before and after you adjust the star nut.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well guys, I could use some help with this. I'm to the point where I can see the bottom of the top triple tree, but I'll be damned if I can see or feel a star nut up there.

Also, the manual says that I need to loosen the fork stem nut to do this. What size is that thing? The biggest socket I have is a 1-3/8" and it ain't big enough.

I'd sure appreciate any insight you all could offer.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Found it. DUDE! You were not kidding when you said that you can barely see that adjuster nut.

I studied the diagrams in the manual to get a good sense of where it should be, then had to shine the light from various odd angles and concentrate and then it sort of, finally... appeared. It was like a damn magic eye poster or something.

Anway, thanks much for the post. It helped a lot.

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well guys, I could use some help with this. I'm to the point where I can see the bottom of the top triple tree, but I'll be damned if I can see or feel a star nut up there.

Also, the manual says that I need to loosen the fork stem nut to do this. What size is that thing? The biggest socket I have is a 1-3/8" and it ain't big enough.

I'd sure appreciate any insight you all could offer.
That Big Mutha is a 1 1/2" for the steering fork stem nut. It will probably only come in a 1/2" drive but you can use a 3/8 adaptor if you have one. The only place I could find it was at Tractor Supply for about $10.00. You will use it at best every 2 or 3 years.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts