Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a '12 RGC and swapped the stock 12" air shocks for a set of takeoff 13" oems and after 1800 miles noticed the right side shock was leaking oil.

Since it wasn't an as deliverd oem part I didn't think HD would warranty. I'm only 5'7" and liked the shorter 12" shock but wanted more suspension travel for a better ride.

Started researching and found I could get a set of Ohlins custom set up for my weight from Howard at motorcyclemetal.com that when the sag is set the ride height is right at 12" like stock but with more suspension travel. Unweighted they are 13.25" eye to eye but with the sag set they sit right at 12-12-1/4" and have fully adjustable preload and rebound with 94 mm of stroke length.

Always thought Ohlins were too expensive but really not more than the higher priced Progressive or Works and I feel they are a better product.

Only ahve about 150 miles on them and will need to readjust after about 500 but so far much happier than the stockers. Feels much more planted and yet not as harsh.

My only other experience with aftermaket shocks is with lower priced Progressive which were really no better than stock.

I'm impressed with both the shocks and the service provided by Howard.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Which ohlins do you have? I'm leaning that way also, I'm going to go with the shortest ones possible, no reach problem, I just like my bike to sit low.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It take a solid 1000 miles for your Ohlins to 100% broke in.
It makes a noticible difference in ride quality once they loosen up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Which ohlins do you have? I'm leaning that way also, I'm going to go with the shortest ones possible, no reach problem, I just like my bike to sit low.
Howard calls them a #2-1/2 in that they have all the features of the #2 series with most of the features of the #3 series. Biggest difference is that unlike the #3 they are not height adjustable and the oil and gas are together.

The total length is 13-1/4" but they are designed to sit right at 12" when adjusted for sag. I think they are a great optin for guys who want a lowered ride height/look but more travel than the stock or other aftermaket 12" shocks. Progressive makes one that is suppose to give a 12" ride height as well, but the retail price (don't know what a discounter would sell for) is more than I paid for the Ohlins and the Ohlins are a much better shock in my mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It take a solid 1000 miles for your Ohlins to 100% broke in.
It makes a noticible difference in ride quality once they loosen up.
Thanks for the opinion.

I haven't yet adjusted the rebound, wanted to wait at least 500 miles.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I had an incredibly informative conversation with Howard @ Motorcycle Metal this morning. I was torn between several of the Ohlin Models and ironically after my conversation (and education) from Howard, I opted for one of his new sets of the JRI 13" Shocks. I'm more excited than anyone could prossibly understand to finally be able to upgrade my suspension to something like this. From everything I've read, the change should be remarkable!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm more excited than anyone could prossibly understand to finally be able to upgrade my suspension to something like this. From everything I've read, the change should be remarkable!
I have the 6 series on my bike and they ride great, just don't expect miricles until they are broke in and properly adjusted.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have the 6 series on my bike and they ride great, just don't expect miricles until they are broke in and properly adjusted.
Thanks FrankieB, I completely understand about the break-in and getting them setup properly. Assuming a solid 1k miles to get them broke-in. How long did it take on your 6's? I'm feeling anxious, and I know I have to wait for Howard to get the parts in.... I am one of the least patient people I know. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks FrankieB, I completely understand about the break-in and getting them setup properly. Assuming a solid 1k miles to get them broke-in. How long did it take on your 6's? I'm feeling anxious, and I know I have to wait for Howard to get the parts in.... I am one of the least patient people I know. :)
It has taken about 3000 miles for me to dial them in. I did about 1000 miles with the setting as sent, then started tweeking them a click at a time. If you are asking how long it took to be delivered, it was two or three weeks.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I had an incredibly informative conversation with Howard @ Motorcycle Metal this morning. I was torn between several of the Ohlin Models and ironically after my conversation (and education) from Howard, I opted for one of his new sets of the JRI 13" Shocks. I'm more excited than anyone could prossibly understand to finally be able to upgrade my suspension to something like this. From everything I've read, the change should be remarkable!
I been considering pulling the trigger everyday seems as if the these air shocks get worse every day..... A 1000 miles of getting better all the time sounds good! My ass and spine deserve it!

What are JRI 13" Shocks....????

·
Registered
992 Posts
The JRI's are another shock that Howard @ Motorcycle Metal offers. When you go to his site, look at the bottom left corner of his menu selection and you'll see one that says JRI. I didn't really pay that much attention to it, but when I called Howard and I spoke at length about the different Ohlin options, he brought up the JRI's. I was originally going to go with the Ohlin 6's, which are still an incredible shock, but there are a couple added little things about the JRI's that I prefer ie; American Made, and no plastic components anywhere.

The JRI's for baggers aren't even technically available yet. Howard has his first sets arriving this month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bandit

Those JRIs look nice. When I spoke with Howard he never mentioned the JRI option but honestly I didn't aske about anything other than the Ohlins.

Did you order the emuslified or the piggyback version and how does the price compare to the Ohlins...more or less when comparing similar models, ie. emuslified vs. piggyback?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hey Bandit

Those JRIs look nice. When I spoke with Howard he never mentioned the JRI option but honestly I didn't aske about anything other than the Ohlins.

Did you order the emuslified or the piggyback version and how does the price compare to the Ohlins...more or less when comparing similar models, ie. emuslified vs. piggyback?
I never asked about the emulsified, only the piggyback version. The price between the JRI's and the Ohlins 6's are virtually the same. I don't know for sure how long Howard has felt that he could start offering the JRI's nearest I can tell, they are just now almost available for delivery. Howard has an initial order arriving anytime now, hence why he brought them up to me. He has tested the JRI's extensively and has been selling the attached piggyback version for dynas for some time, unknown to me. The sets he's waiting on are the very first with the remote res via a hose connection and not directly attached.

Howard clearly told me the Ohlins are an incredible shock, and I wouldn't go wrong with the 6's, but he did believe for me, the JRI's may offer some additional value. I live and Central Colorado, my FLTR is my main transportation (around 12k / year), fairly aggressive rider, lots of corners, etc. I also put alot of value in they are made here in U.S.A., and they carry a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship / materials.

Right now the lead-time is unknown, so I honestly don't know if I'll be waiting a couple weeks, or a couple months. When it comes to a product like this, I'll wait. :)

For those of you wondering, Howard is a very straight shooter no b.s. kind of person. He is extremely informative and will answer any question you have regarding the function of the shocks, but he WILL NOT tell you what to buy, that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

Once I receive the JRI's I will takes some pics and post my own thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never asked about the emulsified, only the piggyback version. The price between the JRI's and the Ohlins 6's are virtually the same. I don't know for sure how long Howard has felt that he could start offering the JRI's nearest I can tell, they are just now almost available for delivery. Howard has an initial order arriving anytime now, hence why he brought them up to me. He has tested the JRI's extensively and has been selling the attached piggyback version for dynas for some time, unknown to me. The sets he's waiting on are the very first with the remote res via a hose connection and not directly attached.

Howard clearly told me the Ohlins are an incredible shock, and I wouldn't go wrong with the 6's, but he did believe for me, the JRI's may offer some additional value. I live and Central Colorado, my FLTR is my main transportation (around 12k / year), fairly aggressive rider, lots of corners, etc. I also put alot of value in they are made here in U.S.A., and they carry a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship / materials.

Right now the lead-time is unknown, so I honestly don't know if I'll be waiting a couple weeks, or a couple months. When it comes to a product like this, I'll wait. :)

For those of you wondering, Howard is a very straight shooter no b.s. kind of person. He is extremely informative and will answer any question you have regarding the function of the shocks, but he WILL NOT tell you what to buy, that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

Cool.

I'd love to have the piggyback version of either but couldn't spend that much coin.

I'm real happy with my choice and agree 100% with your comments about Howard. He spent a lot of his personal time on a Saturday morning walking me through the installation process and I'm sure he thought (probably rightly so) I was a dumbass but I know a hell of lot more about shocks and how they actually work.

For anyone thinking about the Ohlins, the wait time is a lot less if he has them in stock. I received mine 2 days after payment!

Let us know when the JRIs arrive.

·
Banned
144 Posts

Did I read correctly the JRI and Ohlins 6's are the same price? .... I have seen those JRI shocks for 999.00

·
Registered
992 Posts
Did I read correctly the JRI and Ohlins 6's are the same price? .... I have seen those JRI shocks for 999.00
The Emulsified JRI's are around $999, the piggy back version was more. JRI makes several versions of shocks, just like Ohlin, the price changes with each model, option, and advancement in design. The standard emulsified (2 Series) Ohlin, I believe runs around $550, the seperated system (3 Series) starts around $740, and then the Piggy back 6 series runs approximately $1400. The JRI's run very similar price.

These are only basic guesses from what I've read on pricing. I STRONGLY SUGGEST CALLING HOWARD AT MOTORCYCLE METAL FOR PRICING AND IFORMATION on the different shocks available.

Howard and I did not speak about each individual level on a comparison basis, I was interested in the Ohlin 6's. Some things I only want to buy once, I hate it when I constantly wonder if I should have stepped up to the next level in terms of a part on my bike. Now I don't have to second guess myself.

I want to re-inforce the fact that the ENTIRE OHLIN Line is exceptional, and for any of you that bought Ohlins, you purchased the top of line in suspension.

The JRI's are just now coming available. That's why Howard really hasn't offered them to the baggers before now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a set of the Ohlins 3's on my 2009. So far with about 600 miles, they are still feeling a bit on the harsh side but still bottom out. I'll crank up the preload and see what that does for the bottoming. It seems a bit counter-intuitive that you would need to stiffen the spring up to obtain a better compliance over bumps without bottoming.

By far the handling is leagues ahead of the stock system. No death wobble in high speed turns. Still playing around with the settings. But definitely worth the money.

BG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts