Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on this for a few days and the more I learn, the more confused I get. So I'm looking for some help from the Audio Gurus. Here's my set up

Arc Audio Moto 600.4 amp
Arc Audio Moto 602v2 speakers in fairing
Hertz SV 165.1 in the lowers

I'm trying the set the gains using Ohms Law and a multi-meter. Bass and treble are 0'ed out, using a 1khz tone at 3/4 volume

V=sqrt(watts x ohms)

Question 1, what do I use for watts? RMS for speaker, max watts for speakers or the out put on the amp?
Question 2, assuming use RMS of speaker (602's are at question) which is 90 watts @ 4 ohms, I'm looks for 19 volts. I'm getting 26 volts with the gain at 0. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I've been reading up on this for a few days and the more I learn, the more confused I get. So I'm looking for some help from the Audio Gurus. Here's my set up

Arc Audio Moto 600.4 amp
Arc Audio Moto 602v2 speakers in fairing
Hertz SV 165.1 in the lowers

I'm trying the set the gains using Ohms Law and a multi-meter. Bass and treble are 0'ed out, using a 1khz tone at 3/4 volume

V=sqrt(watts x ohms)

Question 1, what do I use for watts? RMS for speaker, max watts for speakers or the out put on the amp?
Question 2, assuming use RMS of speaker (602's are at question) which is 90 watts @ 4 ohms, I'm looks for 19 volts. I'm getting 26 volts with the gain at 0. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Here is a cheat sheet for dummies. https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-adjust-amplifier-gains-using-a-digital-multi-meter/
You use the Amplifier's watts in the formula.
Unless you have a oscilloscope , I prefer the old fashioned way.... by ear.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a cheat sheet for dummies. https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-adjust-amplifier-gains-using-a-digital-multi-meter/
You use the Amplifier's watts in the formula.
Unless you have a oscilloscope , I prefer the old fashioned way.... by ear.
OK, use the watts output on the amp. This amp has 2 gain controls, one for channels 1 & 2, another for channels 3 & 4. Although they're different speakers, the gain will be the same?

Even using the amp's watts in formula, I should be looking for 24.5v. I'm getting 26v with 0 gain.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
OK, use the watts output on the amp. This amp has 2 gain controls, one for channels 1 & 2, another for channels 3 & 4. Although they're different speakers, the gain will be the same?

Even using the amp's watts in formula, I should be looking for 24.5v. I'm getting 26v with 0 gain.
You didn't read the dummy sheet. :) use each gain as like it's a separate amp. That means the total amps output are also divided in half for the sake of the formula.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't read the dummy sheet. :) use each gain as like it's a separate amp. That means the total amps output are also divided in half for the sake of the formula.
Oh I read, but still confused as fuck:confused:

So on a 600w amp with 2 gain controls, I would use 300w in the formula?

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Oh I read, but still confused as fuck:confused:

So on a 600w amp with 2 gain controls, I would use 300w in the formula?
Yes you are correct .
Personally I don't like listening to music without bass/treble /eq. That's why I prefer the old fashioned way.
Set your gain at 0 with the Bass/treble/eq set the way you listen normally. Then adjust volume at 75% . Then slowly turn the gain up until you hear distortion then back off a few clicks. Now listen to several types of music you like to insure no distortion. If you need to back off a little more, do so.
This has always worked for me. Depending on where you got your test tone ,store bought or recorded you could be off more than by ear if the recording has been degraded,

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Thanks Big gary, I just had a moment of clairity :D
Just goes to show, an old washed up Cement Finisher still can learn a thing or two.
Glad I could help sir.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts