Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while, but correct me if I'm wrong the shift linkages are adjustable ? My shifter is too close to floorboard, I'd like some more room under it.

Also, any suggestions on new brake lever ? I'd like one where I can put my foot under it and use the floorboards... I don't have huge feet, so the big guys must have even more of a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
593 Posts
Take the bolts off, front and back. Mark where the shifters are at. Slide off and move up one or two splines. Put back and your ready to go.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I adjusted my shifter up. Removed the back part of the shifter so I could slid my foot back there. I cut my brake pedal in half. Now I can slide my foot forward on that side.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm any pics of brake pedal?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I adjusted my shifter up. Removed the back part of the shifter so I could slid my foot back there. I cut my brake pedal in half. Now I can slide my foot forward on that side.
I recently stripped the front shift lever 60 miles from home on back roads. (lotsa shifting) I managed to get home using the rear lever for both up & down shifts.
Woulda been tough with only one lever. I use the rear lever exclusively for upshifts anyhow, so it's stayin'.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Your question has already been answered, but you can consider these (relatively expensive) alternatives from Battistinis, the extended shift levers and brake pedal, which gives much more room around and under the pedals. I have never felt as comfortable a set up. HD makes extended billet shift levers for a bit less $, and inexpensive ones can be found on eBay, but I don't trust the build quality of these brand X items. The Battistinis stuff could be used in bridge construction, yet are very light.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Take the bolts off, front and back. Mark where the shifters are at. Slide off and move up one or two splines. Put back and your ready to go.
Also, the bolts are friggin' tight and easy to strip if you don't use your tools properly. The top bolt is easy but the bottom one can be a pain.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
You can also loosen the jam nuts on the shifter rod and make a couple turns to raise or lower the shifter. Where the shift pedal goes through the primary its just a pivot point.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I recently stripped the front shift lever 60 miles from home on back roads. (lotsa shifting) I managed to get home using the rear lever for both up & down shifts.
Woulda been tough with only one lever. I use the rear lever exclusively for upshifts anyhow, so it's stayin'.
Thats good info. I could never get used to using mine ,on any of my bikes.
I wonder if you could put the rear shifter up front. Reverse the pedal part. If thats the case I would throw the rear in the saddle bag. That way I would have a back up?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thats good info. I could never get used to using mine ,on any of my bikes.
I wonder if you could put the rear shifter up front. Reverse the pedal part. If thats the case I would throw the rear in the saddle bag. That way I would have a back up?
front and rear shifters are the same part :).I took em both off and compared.I used the kuryakyn spacer and moved the front one outboard.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yup, same part front & rear. Alot of folks don't like the rear shifter. Personally, it's all I use for up-shifts.
Those bolts are tight! I used a 3/8 drive allen gizmo & a 1/2 drive adaptor on a 1/2" ratchet. That did it. I was on a mission as the front lever was completely stripped. It was coming off one way or the other.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adjusted mine and much better, actually alot easier to find neutral now. I haven't started using the heel toe shifting.. we'll see..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts