Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advanblack Painted Lowers

I've been staring hard at a set of painted lowers.... all in will cost me about $300 vs. a few hundred extra for HD ones. For those of you that have AB lowers, what are your thoughts? Paint match doesn't seem to be a concern, but I see a lot of "hey, for the price they are good"...... not sure how to take that?! I'm certainly not looking for something that will need to be replaced within a year or two, so I'm looking to find out if the quality is there for the money or if I should be looking at the MotorCo ones?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had a set of knock off ones on my old Street Glide. Like you said the were Ok for the money. All the knock off ones are the same....they come from China, just different vendors selling them. I have OE ones on my Road Glide. They are much better. People will say you can't tell the difference...you can. They body of the lower is made of a much thinner ABS and the glove box doors are a cheap plastic.

When it all comes down to it there is a reason they are cheaper....because they are.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
the only issue i had with mine was there was a spot inside that didn't have enough clear coat on it.
it's not even visible unless you look up inside the foot well.

fit was good, hardware good, they look and function fine for what they are...

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
this is what i've noticed on the pre-rushmore version:

the main body of the lower is thinner. not sure that is an actual issue though.

as said, the doors are cheap plastic and the snaps are a pita. to replace them with the actual hd doors is a pricey chunk of change. cheaper to go with the magnetic doors, which are nice.

the glove box on the harley lowers are 'rubberized' while the ab ones are a textured plastic.

the doors do not function as well. not to mention, the 'spring' wasn't even included on mine, had to go to hd and buy 2 of them.

if this is something that you plan on keeping on your bike for the long haul, it may be worth it to spend the couple extra hundred for the hd version. if you're going to be trading your bike in in a couple of years, the cheap ones may work just fine.

my wife and i are not planning on getting rid of our bikes any time soon. so for her, she would rather spend the extra and get the color matched from hd for $569 shipped, vs the $300 or so for the cheap aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I've been staring hard at a set of painted lowers.... all in will cost me about $300 vs. a few hundred extra for HD ones. For those of you that have AB lowers, what are your thoughts? Paint match doesn't seem to be a concern, but I see a lot of "hey, for the price they are good"...... not sure how to take that?! I'm certainly not looking for something that will need to be replaced within a year or two, so I'm looking to find out if the quality is there for the money or if I should be looking at the MotorCo ones?
Check pricing at Horny Toad and Boardtracker before committing to going aftermarket. I didn't pay all this money to cheap out on parts. :grin:

If you are considering aftermarket because of styling differences like the fully stretched bags that is another matter or consideration.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boardtracker is currently showing $582 for Wicked Red lowers..... about $282 more than the Advan lowers I'm looking at. I understand the idea of getting what you pay for, but is there THAT much of a distinguishable difference for $300?

The way I look at it, that's basically the difference between JUST getting lowers or getting lowers and something else for the bike as a New Year present.

I'll have to look at HT- they have never been on my radar before, so thanks for that!!!

Check pricing at Horny Toad and Boardtracker before committing to going aftermarket. I didn't pay all this money to cheap out on parts. :grin:

If you are considering aftermarket because of styling differences like the fully stretched bags that is another matter or consideration.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Boardtracker is currently showing $582 for Wicked Red lowers..... about $282 more than the Advan lowers I'm looking at. I understand the idea of getting what you pay for, but is there THAT much of a distinguishable difference for $300?

Having held both in my hands at the same time. YES. The knock off set I had were only like $150 so I could deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like my advan black lowers. They look the same as the H.D. ones and serve the same purpose. Most of the paint match I have seen looks really good. Mine was a tad off on the black quartz though. Still a good by for the money.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I paid $559.96 for a set of OE Rushmore style lowers from Horney Toad. That's just the basic discount. People will tell you that if you mention you are a member her you get a better discount.....not sure if it's any better or just the same. But if you get hold of them let us know so the next time I make an order I can get the better discount. :grin:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I paid $559.96 for a set of OE Rushmore style lowers from Horney Toad. That's just the basic discount. People will tell you that if you mention you are a member her you get a better discount.....not sure if it's any better or just the same. But if you get hold of them let us know so the next time I make an order I can get the better discount. :grin:
Im going to have to get the HD ones as Advan does not have my custom color

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
How is the assembly/install of the OEM’. The Advans looked pretty easy.
You might have to do a little more on the OE. You'll have to put the doors on and the opener mechanism on, glove box faces, then the two clamps that hold them to the engine guard. Not rocket science. Watching the Advans Black video and looking at the install sheet you'll be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
when I bought my oem, there was no assembly required. installation was a snap, 3 bolts and you're done.

again, this is pre-rushmore though. the rushmore lowers may be different. I understand installing them on the bike is even easier. I don't know if they come assembled or not though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must have gotten vivid black lowers- I was quoted $610 for a set of wicked red lowers- that includes $30 shipping AND the forum discount from the Toad.

Boardtracker HD has them on their website for $582 with free shipping.... and I haven't contacted them about any further discounts at the moment.

Looks like Boardtracker has the edge on this one so far.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You must have gotten vivid black lowers- I was quoted $610 for a set of wicked red lowers- that includes $30 shipping AND the forum discount from the Toad.

Boardtracker HD has them on their website for $582 with free shipping.... and I haven't contacted them about any further discounts at the moment.

Looks like Boardtracker has the edge on this one so far.
They were Denim Black and I got a BUNCH of other stuff at the same time so I didn't figure shipping in the price I gave you...just what was on the parts break down. Those lowers are now Billiard Blue and on my new bike. Me personally, I get my stuff from whom ever has the best price. With a new person at Horney Toad things might have changed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to pick everyone's brain- I know some have said Advan isn't quite as sturdy or well weighted as the HD branded lowers. What if you taped off the painted parts and you threw a can of truck bed liner on the inner black plastic portions of the lowers? I would think that would kind of add a little extra weight to the lowers and give them a little more durability? Just a thought- tough pill to swallow an extra $300, esp. when I've found so many other aftermarket accessories that are cheaper and FAR better than what the MotorCo has put out.

Let me know your thoughts!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts