Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I'm still a relatively new rider of 2 years and a new 21 RGS owner as of July. I love the bike and have already upgraded the bars, rear suspension, floorboards, and done a stage 1. I purchased the advanblack stretched saddlebags, side covers, and dominator fender.

So I'm deciding on if I should attempt to install the fender myself as watching the video didn't seem too complicated but kinda tricky at certain points. I'm no mechanic but was able to install the legend rear suspension on my own. Any thoughts from the community would be great as I'm looking to save some bucks but don't wanna take on this fender project and mess something up lol

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Just a suggestion, maybe you would consider posting the area you are in. There might be a local forum member that has done that a few times and would be willing to help out.

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,067 Posts
You'll love the look of that fender. But the downside is the shit way the lights mount. Be prepared to re bend the tabs to make them fit tight. But it's not hard to do. There's a few videos with short cuts. Just loosen up all the side strut bolts. It's easier. And doing it the other way does not save you that much time

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll love the look of that fender. But the downside is the shit way the lights mount. Be prepared to re bend the tabs to make them fit tight. But it's not hard to do. There's a few videos with short cuts. Just loosen up all the side strut bolts. It's easier. And doing it the other way does not save you that much time

View attachment 433967
Thanks for the feedback bro. The only video I've been watching is Steve from advanblack's install. It doesn't look too difficult, even for me lol. There was no mention of the lights however. I planned on using my jack and attempting it

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,067 Posts
That's the video. He shows a short cut by not loosening all the strut bolts. It's a lot easier just loosening them bolts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. So instead of just taking the 1 strut bolt out, it's easier to loosen all of them? Got it. How about the overall install? Is it something a novice like myself can do? I'm new to bikes but consider myself somewhat handy.

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,067 Posts
Ok. So instead of just taking the 1 strut bolt out, it's easier to loosen all of them? Got it. How about the overall install? Is it something a novice like myself can do? I'm new to bikes but consider myself somewhat handy.
You can absolutely do it. Yes. Loosen all the bolts and no need to squeeze and twist and hope you don't scratch the new fender. Install is easy. It's the lights that I will say suck. Be sure you have the fender on something that won't swirl the paint while putting the lights in. Take your time is all.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Super Moderator
4,433 Posts
I did a Top Shop rear end last year. This was my first attempt at the rear fender. You can definitely do this yourself. Just take your time and refer to a service manual if you have one. The videos are helpful but a service manual will be more effective as it won’t leave any steps out of the removal/install process.

Reactions: RFG7680
1 - 8 of 8 Posts