Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be traveling through these states on a road trip in August. I've never been to them and looking for any advice anyone could offer on places to see, places to eat, places to stay, etc.

I will be coming from the north, cutting through OK and the very northern part of TX (either Amarillo or Dalhart depending on the route I choose). Probably staying the night in TX then heading to the Phoenix area where I will spend another night. I may stay there a day to take in some fun riding but I'm really looking forward to the Rockies in CO.

Being that I've never traveled in any of these states I'm sure the geography will be interesting from the interstate but I don't want to miss any famous rides. For example I went through Kentucky/Tennessee but didn't ride the Tail of the Dragon.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If your coming from the Phoenix area into Colorado I wouldn't miss Hwy 550 from Durango thru Silverton and up to Ouray Colorado, the Million Dollar Hwy..

You really couldn't go wrong with most the state highways in southwest Colorado but a few do stand out. The one above is a must do.

160 from Durango, Pagosa Springs up to South Fork then 149 to Creede, Lake City up to Gunnison Co is an incredible ride also.

Hwy 92 thru the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I guess if you have never seen it.. .. It's pretty cool. I live in this country and honestly there's nicer trips one could ride.

Hwy 145 from Cortez to Placerville. Then 62 up over the Dallas Divide is nice or continue on 145 to 141 to Gateway then up to Grand Junction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Go to Alpine Az and ride 191 down towards Silver City. It makes the dragon look like a dragstrip

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ditto what Harleson and Darbin said, although I actually like 92 in Colorado a whole lot. Ride it every chance I get when I'm in that neck of the woods. 149 is, simply put, gorgeous. +10 on that suggestion.

I've ridden US 64 west from Angel Fire and it's really a fun one. Until you get in range of Farmington, anyway. I swear, I can get from one end of Austin to another during rush hour faster than you can get through Farmington.

NM 434 between Eagle Nest and Mora is special. Not going to make great time, but it's cool as shit. There are a couple of good campgrounds along that route if you're into that- also at Guadalupita there's a reasonably priced campground with cabins- even a store to buy essentials.

I could go on and on.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Leaving Phoenix is a good thing in August. Travel through Wickenburg, pick up 89 through Prescott, 89A to jerome and then Sedona with a nice Oak Creek canyon ride up to Flagstaff. All good with LOTS of twisties and getting cooler the whole way. Have fun!

·
Registered
891 Posts
+1 on 191 from Alpine, Arizona to Safford then 70 into Phoenix. 191 is also known as "The Coronado Trail". Heading north from Phoenix to go up to Colorado + 1 on 89A. If you have the extra 2 hours to spare, I'd suggest leaving Phoenix to Wickenburg and taking 89 through Wilhoit, into Prescott, then 89A thru Jerome and on to Sedona before going through Oak Creek Canyon. I can't speak as to how it compares to the "Tail of the Dragon" but its a fun route.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm returning from Iraq next week. The following week the better half and I are going to ride from Texas through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming to see our son in Cheyenne, WY. From there its across to Kansas to visit our daugher and grandkids then back down through Oklahoma and home to Texas. Its about a 2300 mile trip not counting the detours. Should make for a fun two weeks on the road.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Phoenix in August? Buy one of those gel vests that you soak with water. HD has one for $50. It works the best under a mesh jacket. If you really get hot (you will), then get one of those frog togs towels to wet and wrap around your neck.

Mylo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, guys.... This is F_cking AWESOME information. Thank you so much. I'm taking notes, checking maps and planning out my trip. I can't thank you all enough!

I know it's gonna be hot as hell in August but that's the time I have to do it in. Will keep the suggestions in mind that you gave for keeping cool too. When I visited the Grand Canyon several years ago a park ranger gave me the tip to soak your shirt and put it on rather than go shirtless while hiking.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your coming from the Phoenix area into Colorado I wouldn't miss Hwy 550 from Durango thru Silverton and up to Ouray Colorado, the Million Dollar Hwy..

You really couldn't go wrong with most the state highways in southwest Colorado but a few do stand out. The one above is a must do.

160 from Durango, Pagosa Springs up to South Fork then 149 to Creede, Lake City up to Gunnison Co is an incredible ride also.

Hwy 92 thru the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I guess if you have never seen it.. .. It's pretty cool. I live in this country and honestly there's nicer trips one could ride.

Hwy 145 from Cortez to Placerville. Then 62 up over the Dallas Divide is nice or continue on 145 to 141 to Gateway then up to Grand Junction.
Of those 3 routes is 550 your primary suggestion? I'd love to do them all but I'm also going to try to keep moving along on my trip. So, I will probably have to pick just one of the three.

I would like to hit 4 corners coming into CO. I also REALLY want to ride up Pikes Peak and possibly throught the Garden of the Gods.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ah, guys.... This is F_cking AWESOME information. Thank you so much. I'm taking notes, checking maps and planning out my trip. I can't thank you all enough!

I know it's gonna be hot as hell in August but that's the time I have to do it in. Will keep the suggestions in mind that you gave for keeping cool too. When I visited the Grand Canyon several years ago a park ranger gave me the tip to soak your shirt and put it on rather than go shirtless while hiking.

Thanks again.
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but you will actually stay cooler with a light colored long sleeve t-shirt in the desert, than if you wear a wife beater. However, August and September are the two most humid months in AZ. Not humid by East Coast standards, but humid enough that evaporative cooling doesn't work as well... But with the airflow on a bike, you should be ok, if you wet your shirt, or helmet or whatever.

Mylo

·
Registered
828 Posts
Steer clear of the wild fires..... thats my .02:D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you go through Amarillo be sure to check out Palo Duro Canyon. If you come that way and head about 110 miles South West you'll see a little town called Muleshoe, that's where I live.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Of those 3 routes is 550 your primary suggestion? I'd love to do them all but I'm also going to try to keep moving along on my trip. So, I will probably have to pick just one of the three.

I would like to hit 4 corners coming into CO. I also REALLY want to ride up Pikes Peak and possibly throught the Garden of the Gods.
HWY 550 in September

Wanna be green with envy....... its about an hour and a half to Ouray and the start of this ride from my house! LOL

If you wanted and were definitly going over to Pikes Peak and the Springs area you could still ride 550 but its going to put you in Montrose to the north. From there you would take HWY 50 east to Gunnison, over Monarch Pass (which is nice too!) down into Salida, Canyon City then up to the Springs. Long day in the saddle from Durango though.

You could do the 160 over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork which is beautiful. Then angle up towards Colorado Springs but your going to miss some real good stuff. I can't find my pics of Wolf Creek Pass sorry.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wanna be green with envy....... its about an hour and a half to Ouray and the start of this ride from my house! LOL

If you wanted and were definitly going over to Pikes Peak and the Springs area you could still ride 550 but its going to put you in Montrose to the north. From there you would take HWY 50 east to Gunnison, over Monarch Pass (which is nice too!) down into Salida, Canyon City then up to the Springs. Long day in the saddle from Durango though.

You could do the 160 over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork which is beautiful. Then angle up towards Colorado Springs but your going to miss some real good stuff. I can't find my pics of Wolf Creek Pass sorry.
I really appreciate the info. I am very green with envy. I love Colorado and the mountains.

I'm probably going to stick with 550 instead of 160.

Do you think I'm biting off more than I can chew trying to take 550 out of Durango to 50 toward Colorado Springs? My thought was I would do that and get set up to ride up Pikes Peak first thing in the morning. i heard it can take a while. After that, maybe ride Garden of the Gods. I'm not sure how long all that will take. I plan on heading to South Dakota after that.

I've done a few 1000 mile/day trips and I can tolerate that. But, those were all Interstate riding.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but you will actually stay cooler with a light colored long sleeve t-shirt in the desert, than if you wear a wife beater. However, August and September are the two most humid months in AZ. Not humid by East Coast standards, but humid enough that evaporative cooling doesn't work as well... But with the airflow on a bike, you should be ok, if you wet your shirt, or helmet or whatever.

Mylo
Thanks Mylo

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gel Vest + Under Armour shirt= much cooler.

I would suggest getting a small camel pack you can fill it with Ice from a soda machine at any convenience store and then fill it with water you need to stay hydrated and AZ and NM will suck the water out of you. The temps will likely be in the 100'S.

If you are not wearing a full face helmet then make sure you have a bandana to put on your face, unless you like looking like a reverse raccoon.

Watch out for the sand storms little bastards will kick up and blast ya while running down the road.

SUN SCREEN

As for roads 550 is a must if you have the time rather then catch 50 in montrose head up to delta and catch 92 that will take you back own to 50 through black canyon. It is a great ride it will add about 60 miles to your trip but man they are fun miles!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm returning from Iraq next week. The following week the better half and I are going to ride from Texas through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming to see our son in Cheyenne, WY. From there its across to Kansas to visit our daugher and grandkids then back down through Oklahoma and home to Texas. Its about a 2300 mile trip not counting the detours. Should make for a fun two weeks on the road.
If you were leaving from Houston area on the 4th you could ride with us on the Porkchop run we are heading to del rio and then north to Canada

1 - 20 of 82 Posts