Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RoadGlide CVO Mako Fade
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for advice…and I appreciate it all! I’m not personally handy and have all my work done in shop (I know, booo) so my question is: is it worth the $$ to have the fat tire kit installed along with a hugger front fender. I have a 21” tire on it now and would love to get the monster fat spokes—if they hold up to heavy riding—and if I have enough in my secret savings account to pay for it all!! Thank you in advance
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Cloud

·
Registered
Road glide special 2021 River rock grey denim
4 Posts
Hey all, looking for advice…and I appreciate it all! I’m not personally handy and have all my work done in shop (I know, booo) so my question is: is it worth the $$ to have the fat tire kit installed along with a hugger front fender. I have a 21” tire on it now and would love to get the monster fat spokes—if they hold up to heavy riding—and if I have enough in my secret savings account to pay for it all!! Thank you in advance
View attachment 451596
View attachment 451595
Hallo ,helaas weet niets over dikke voorbanden, maar welk windscherm en voorlicht heb je op je motor.
Thx

translation by Mod: Hello, unfortunately I don't know anything about fat front tires, but which windshield and front light do you have on your motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
My suggestion would be to find someone with a fat tire and swap bikes for a ride. I've talked to a couple riders who said the fat tire changed the handling, but they got used to it. Personally, I love how neutral the handling is on my Road Glide, and wouldn't want to change that for a "look".

Do you have the option of going fat spokes without changing anything else? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just saying go into it with all the information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Hello, unfortunately I don't know anything about fat front tires, but which windshield and front light do you have on your motorcycle."
Thank you for the translation! The windshield is Klockwerks sport flare 6” dark smoked and the headlights are electric company shark nose LED. I also really liked the AdvanBlack attack LED headlights. The turn signal is integrated into the side of the light and I feel like I get better visibility that few inches higher up

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
My Fat tire rides better than my stock ever did. sticks more it curves too, and when running over the tar snakes. Would have to check and see if they have a monster spoke in the 18x5.5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My suggestion would be to find someone with a fat tire and swap bikes for a ride. I've talked to a couple riders who said the fat tire changed the handling, but they got used to it. Personally, I love how neutral the handling is on my Road Glide, and wouldn't want to change that for a "look".

Do you have the option of going fat spokes without changing anything else? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just saying go into it with all the information.
That’s an awesome idea and I keep checking out my friends to see if anyone has it yet. I love how my bike handles but it really does catch every little groove in the road whereas the wider tire supposedly doesn’t do that. I chatted with bike builder Covington Customs online and he said the wider the tire the better it handles even in turns! He also said the smaller tire handles better but I like my 21” tire =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Lyzzabeth Might be worth contacting Native Custom Baggers.
See what They have to say as Many use Their Fat Front Tire KIts.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.
Thank you! I have seen many many recommendations for their products. I’ll reach out and talk to them about what steps I should take

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Fat tire rides better than my stock ever did. sticks more it curves too, and when running over the tar snakes. Would have to check and see if they have a monster spoke in the 18x5.5
Thank you for the review! I haven’t found the monster spokes in the size & color yet buuuut I’m pretty sure I’ll find something equally as sexxxy for my ride. I definitely want the better handling vs the look

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Native is the way to go. I called with questions and got all the answers I needed. Get the flush axle kit too.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
That’s an awesome idea and I keep checking out my friends to see if anyone has it yet. I love how my bike handles but it really does catch every little groove in the road whereas the wider tire supposedly doesn’t do that. I chatted with bike builder Covington Customs online and he said the wider the tire the better it handles even in turns! He also said the smaller tire handles better but I like my 21” tire =)
Everything is a compromise. Finding that balance between looks and handling. Some are willing to give up some handling for looks, while others are willing to give up looks for handling.
Typically a fat tire with of course a wider rim of the same diameter is going to mean more unsprung weight. Pair that with narrow taller bars and now turning in requires more effort.
Of course we adapt and get used to things.
I’ve ridden every one of the new Harley softails. Same basic bikes, but the differences in wheel and tire sizes make the all a little different from a handling perspective. The one bike I turned around and brought back after the first set of curves was the Fat Boy with that insanely wide rear tire. Sure if you love the look you will get used to the handling, but imo handling trumps looks.
Hope you are able to find a ride on one. Search out the used bikes at all the dealers in your area also. Maybe you will luck out.

·
Registered
Road glide special 2021 River rock grey denim
4 Posts
Thank you for the translation! The windshield is Klockwerks sport flare 6” dark smoked and the headlights are electric company shark nose LED. I also really liked the AdvanBlack attack LED headlights. The turn signal is integrated into the side of the light and I feel like I get better visibility that few inches higher up
Thanks for info, and guys ,thanks for translation i thougt this was automatic
Greetings from Belgium

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Another thing to get use to, is slow parking lot roll. Will be a bit more effort to turn as twowheel says.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
You're in the right place to get great advice and find ways to use your extra cash. I gave plenty of thought to doing a Native fatty when custom work was being done. I rode one and ultimately decided I would primarily enjoy the look and might find a performance enhancement...but it wasn't enough to push me over the edge.

Anyway...welcome to the Road Glide Forums. It's like having your own pit crew online, lol. Compliments on your CVO....sweet wheels absolutely.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts