Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that has some upgrades on it. The bike has a Hi Flo air kit, Screaming Eagle Super Tuner, A SE255 Cam and Vance and Hines Bigshot duals. The bike was then tuned by a Harley Dealer.

The Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals are way to loud for me. On my Road King I run stock head pipes and a set of CVO mufflers. What I really like is that I can't hear the exhaust over the engine. I do a lot of cross country touring and my days of loud exhaust are behind me.

The RGU comes with the stock exhaust system. My plans are to remove the V&H, install the stock head pipes and buy a set of CVO mufflers. the question is how much this will effect the tune done at the Harley dealer?

I know with the SE tuner, the ECM is reprogrammed, as opposed to a piggyback system like the Power Commander. I don't really ant to spend another $500 for a custom tune if the effect of changing the exhaust system effects the custom tune. I also know that you can't just remove the SE Tuner and install a Power Commander because the ECH has been reprogrammed. I think the SE255 cam would be really nice, but not the loud exhaust.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You could always just have the dealer do a stage one download. It's a canned tune they just write to the ECM. I am pretty sure its fairly cheap ($100 + last time I heard)

Actually come to thing of it the SERT should have it on the disk (if they still come with a disk). My SERT is for my 2006 SG. So my knowledge of it may by outdated.

Not sure if the CVO mufflers are as free flowing as a set of SE slip on mufflers (Which is what the stage one DL is written for). But it can't hurt to try.

Remember the standard stage one download is still on the eco friendly lean side...

·
Registered
340 Posts
My guess is you'd be running pretty rich.
I'd want a re-tune.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You could always just have the dealer do a stage one download. It's a canned tune they just write to the ECM. I am pretty sure its fairly cheap ($100 + last time I heard)

Actually come to thing of it the SERT should have it on the disk (if they still come with a disk). My SERT is for my 2006 SG. So my knowledge of it may by outdated.

Not sure if the CVO mufflers are as free flowing as a set of SE slip on mufflers (Which is what the stage one DL is written for). But it can't hurt to try.

Remember the standard stage one download is still on the eco friendly lean side...
Forget everything I said I missed you had new cams. My Guess is you're gonna need a tune...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup your going to need another tune....However it should be quicker to re-tune..I am the type that changes things all the time..I bought a thundermax..no more tuning

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am looking at buying a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that has some upgrades on it. The bike has a Hi Flo air kit, Screaming Eagle Super Tuner, A SE255 Cam and Vance and Hines Bigshot duals. The bike was then tuned by a Harley Dealer.

The Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals are way to loud for me. On my Road King I run stock head pipes and a set of CVO mufflers. What I really like is that I can't hear the exhaust over the engine. I do a lot of cross country touring and my days of loud exhaust are behind me.

The RGU comes with the stock exhaust system. My plans are to remove the V&H, install the stock head pipes and buy a set of CVO mufflers. the question is how much this will effect the tune done at the Harley dealer?

I know with the SE tuner, the ECM is reprogrammed, as opposed to a piggyback system like the Power Commander. I don't really ant to spend another $500 for a custom tune if the effect of changing the exhaust system effects the custom tune. I also know that you can't just remove the SE Tuner and install a Power Commander because the ECH has been reprogrammed. I think the SE255 cam would be really nice, but not the loud exhaust.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I wouldn't install a stock header pipe on an Ultra, to much heat off the cat. CVO mufflers are for 110in motors, I would tend to shy away from those. What does the tuner think with the 255 cams? I would see what works best with the cams. Unpopular as it sounds but you can stack a Power Commander and a Supertuner. Dyno guys do this when there is no disk included with the Supertuner or to fix a flat spot that the previous tuner can't remedy. Before I draw the ire of my fellow rider it was in an issue of American Iron.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
CVO mufflers are for 110in motors, I would tend to shy away from those.
i wouldn't. i bought a set of them for the wife's bike. ran them stock for a little while (with a fm 2-1-2 headpipe) and they sounded and performed good. just recently, picked up a set of slightly used fullsac 2.0 baffles and replaced them in the mufflers. sounds great. her bike performs quite well.

oh, 2012 rgc with the 103 engine. stage 1 only, no other work done.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Your biggest difference (if the bike was truly custom tuned) will be in the head pipe. A true dual system like the Big Shots will require more fuel in the lite throttle cruise range than a 2-1-2 stock header. By the way, the stock header and SE mufflers will probably improve the dyno numbers. I have never had the touring Big Shots on the dyno, but if they perform similar to the Soft Tail version anything will be an improvement.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will just throw in my $0.02 worth of info.

I run the Jackpot 2-1-2 header with K&N air cleaner/breather kit using the stock mufflers that came with my 2011 103" Ultra. The mufflers sound fine, just loud enough and good low rumble at cruise. Before I purchased the Jackpot, I spoke to Jamie at FuelMoto, he said the stock mufflers are not all that restrictive, it's the cat that blocks things up. I can hear the radio at highway speed, and with a shorty helmet, I am not deaf after riding 300 miles at 70-75 all day. In fact, I don't like to ride behind riders running Reinharts, or Vance & Hines Monster rounds, and I keep far away from those using the CFR's.

Since you already have the true dual header, just find a set of stock or CVO mufflers and put them on. It will tone down the sound and maybe your tune will not be so far off that you need to re-tune it.

Scoop

·
Registered
354 Posts
I will just throw in my $0.02 worth of info.

I run the Jackpot 2-1-2 header with K&N air cleaner/breather kit using the stock mufflers that came with my 2011 103" Ultra. The mufflers sound fine, just loud enough and good low rumble at cruise. Before I purchased the Jackpot, I spoke to Jamie at FuelMoto, he said the stock mufflers are not all that restrictive, it's the cat that blocks things up. I can hear the radio at highway speed, and with a shorty helmet, I am not deaf after riding 300 miles at 70-75 all day. In fact, I don't like to ride behind riders running Reinharts, or Vance & Hines Monster rounds, and I keep far away from those using the CFR's.

Since you already have the true dual header, just find a set of stock or CVO mufflers and put them on. It will tone down the sound and maybe your tune will not be so far off that you need to re-tune it.

Scoop
You can not run true duals and stock mufflers. The stock mufflers have different length baffles to accommodate the CAT/2-1-2 stock header. With the open flow of the true duals and different length baffles of the stock mufflers you end up with different back pressure to the rear cylinder than the front. The bike runs and sounds terrible. Don't ask how I know. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts