Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I want to replace my boom speakers with a 6.5 speaker. I plan on using a brt300x4, speaker adapters, and a bagger nation wiring kit. I need advice on 3 items, 1) I see that some speakers list them as waterproof or resistant, so what would be the "best option" for a 6.5 speaker that will withstand the weather and washing. 2)best place to get an amp heatsink and mount? bagger nation, hog wired? etc??? looking for inexpensive but good. 3) Since i have the boom speakers could I use a component speaker with boom grill? if not where could i get a stainless grill that looks like a stock black one? is there such an animal?

·
Registered
331 Posts
H-Donut for amp mounts, HogWired ZXs for 6.5s, and HW. 400amp. Im running 2 HW. 400s, 4- ZXs in upper fairing, Kenwood KDC997 head unit. The sound is AWSOME!!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hawg wired amp mount- 36 shipped
Soundstream pn4.520d-100-120 shipped (better and runs cooler than the pbr)

Lots of guys running different speakers like hertz, jl, infinty and more

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does the weather do to the speakers you listed? are all newer speakers good in motorcycle applications?

any thoughts on using the boom tweeter grill with a componant speaker?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so not alot of people are giving input on this, I looked at hertz and they look great.....for the money i hope they sound great!!! lol how do they handle the water? and with so many choices what series???? wow so many choices!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
1) Waterproof = can handle water to certain depth. Rain storm etc. Water resistance = Can get wet but not for long or depth, water may get in or possible water damage.
Many speaker to chose. Check audio section hot topic upgrade here.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
The Hawgwired speakers are made specifically for motorcycles, they are engineered to handle the weather and vibrations. Hertz though not motorcycle specific are tough and sound great, you'll have no problems with them. I don't know of any speakers that are truly "water proof", marine speakers won't even play underwater for an extended period of time. Most modern speakers are water resistant by virtue of the materials they are made of. Unless you plan to just soak your speakers with water, you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Couldn't agree more with DBELL's statement. If you have an opportunity listen to as many of the speakers you can and go from there. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input so far........Well now im looking at the soundstream amp as well......the choices are getting harder!!!! haha but i only want to do this once.....(yeah Right)!!!! Unfortunitly in PA it is winter and listening to speakers on other peoples bikes are out of the question.....we have been dealing with -35 wind chill temps!!!! I am hoping to get rolling on the stereo upgrade in FEB and have it done for this year of riding...... soundstream or rockford fosgate????? hertz???? what series....I would like to stay away from component speakers for now, I think.... anyone know where i can get stainless, or chrome (or that looks like it) speaker screens????

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Check out Carisma Audio.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Check out charisma audio (forum member) for the speaker grills, they are really nice and look great with several designs to choose from.

I use Polk Audio slim 6.5 speakers (DB series) and am running all 4 of them with the PBR300x4 amp. It sounds really good in my opinion and the amp is small enough that I have it mounted on the top of my stereo under the fairing. I have had no issues with water or heat and I ride thru it all, mother nature can suck my toes cause she will not keep me from riding.

Yes there are lots of choices and I think most of them are good, my only advice is get the best that your budget will allow. Good luck!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So looking at the hertz website. if i went with the soundstream amp, how would i wire the speakers? I know some people are saying series or parrelall???? the hk is 2ohms right? amp does 2 or 4ohms??? speakers are 4 ohms??? haha sorry kind of a newbie to sound...... does it matter what the radio is because it goes to an amp??? so then after the amp....what? im looking at the hertz hcx or ecx .. cant decide how much $$$ to pop on.....hoping h-donut gets back to me on the amp mount I may just have to go through bagger nation...is there a recomended amp power wiring kit?????

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
The ohms of the head unit doesn't matter since you're using an amp. The speakers being 4 ohms and amp being 2 only means you won't get all the power from the amp, you would wire it normal. You could wire 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel off each channel of the amp and be ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I use 6 Polk 6.5 speakers and 2 PBR 300x4 apms in the inner fairing.. Soundstream is nice as well they also have a 4" deep radio (no cd player) that frees up alot of space. I use the clarion cz302 radio with my setup at the moment. I cant speak on hertz never used their product.

Hog tunes is also a decent option :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have a set of the charisma audio speaker grills for sale, painted silver flake
Let me if you are interested. I will let them go cheaper than the cost of taking your family to dinner. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the input so far........Well now im looking at the soundstream amp as well......the choices are getting harder!!!! haha but i only want to do this once.....(yeah Right)!!!! Unfortunitly in PA it is winter and listening to speakers on other peoples bikes are out of the question.....we have been dealing with -35 wind chill temps!!!! I am hoping to get rolling on the stereo upgrade in FEB and have it done for this year of riding...... soundstream or rockford fosgate????? hertz???? what series....I would like to stay away from component speakers for now, I think.... anyone know where i can get stainless, or chrome (or that looks like it) speaker screens????
I'm just up the Road in Meadville, Ideal Sound and Vision in Edinboro put My Tunes together for Me . I'm hoping next week He comes and pics up an Ultra for the showroom so We can do some advertising and offer some kick ass stereo options for those who want slammin Audio systems when they pull off the showroom floor.. He's getting into the bikes petty hard and has some great ideas and all sorts of options if you're interested.... If You want, Shoot up 19 and listen to mine, All Fosgate and Titan 2 ....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts