Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 I know this is a road glide forum, but when it comes to motorcycles there is a lot of knowledge here that I value so I am going to ask for some starting points to do research.

My sister has a 2012 Tri Glide. Her and her fiancee bought it last fall but haven't ridden it a lot. She actually has ridden it more than him. She is short, about 5 foot 1. She is struggling with the reach on the bars. I rolled them back for her today and it helped, but I really think she needs to get some bars that curve back more. I believe I need to look for pull back.

The three places I need advice are if pullback is the right thing I need to look for, how do I determine how much, and if there are brands to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,866 Posts
My bars are the khrome Werks sweepers 2+2 , 2" taller than stock and two inches wider , I didnt have to extend the cables or brakes , dont know how that would go on a batwing tho ..

Used to make dog bones that angled back , maybe that would work .. They mount in the fork where the bars do and the bars attach to them ..

JtB

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
My dealer has a selection of bars to set up on the bike . It's not like they're mounted ,but you can get a good idea.
If you go aftermarket, you'll need the exact measurements of what's on the bike now. (Harley site has those #s) then set her on the bike and measure what is needed for her comfort.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Check with JSR Customs "bad attitude". I have a set on mine. Love em. They have a bend on the bottom that bring them closer like it would on a batwing. They bring them about 2" closer, I called them up and asked if they could make it 3, he said "sure thing". Perfect for me.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I dont know the name of them but there's a handlebar available that's adjustable. A buddy put them on his Heritage. They can be adjusted for better hand position and I believe they are adjustable for pull back too. If I'm not mistaken he did say they were pricey but he loves them. It may be something to consider

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kind of hard if they both ride it. But, if she is the primary rider and is that short, could also look at a "Reach" seat from stealer that will move her a little closer to the bars and foot controls...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Not sure how much the bars have to move to make a 90 degree turn from a side street with a trike, but that might be a consideration when selecting bars since we don't have to deal with that unless maneuvering our bikes in the garage. You don't want the grip to come so close that you can't make the turn or the other grip too far away.

Bars are such a personal choice and as we have seen many on here have gone through several sets in order to find what works for them. If I really wanted some different bars for my bike (I do sit on every used glide with different bars that I can) I would mock something up with PVC for tubing if I had a pipe bender to make sure I had the comfort and clearances I was looking for. Up to $1000 is a lot of money to spend on a complete bar setup and not get it right.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I don't have a good bar suggestion. But pull back is more the angle of the grip, which effects your wrist angle. I have wrist issues and change the pull bavk of the bars to correct it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,234 Posts
I dont know the name of them but there's a handlebar available that's adjustable. A buddy put them on his Heritage. They can be adjusted for better hand position and I believe they are adjustable for pull back too. If I'm not mistaken he did say they were pricey but he loves them. It may be something to consider
It sounds like you're referring to "Heli Bars" which are made by a small company in southern Maine. They've been around for a fair amount of time. Many of the "Iron Butt" riders prefer these because they can get them totally dialed in to their needs. They're fully adjustable. They're pricey, probably up around $700. by know I imagine - I havn't checked their site for 7-8 years now. They have an almost cult following among the long distance crew.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
It sounds like you're referring to "Heli Bars" which are made by a small company in southern Maine. They've been around for a fair amount of time. Many of the "Iron Butt" riders prefer these because they can get them totally dialed in to their needs. They're fully adjustable. They're pricey, probably up around $700. by know I imagine - I havn't checked their site for 7-8 years now. They have an almost cult following among the long distance crew.
Yeah I believe those are the one's my buddy has. He likes them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts