Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new bike this past weekend... had a whopping 7 miles on it. :D

I'm going to be taking it on a 4 day road trip with the wifey in about 3 weeks. Miami to New Orleans and back ;so im figuring about 1800 - 2000 miles by the time Im back home.....

My dilema is what to do about the 1000 mile service..
Do you think it'll be okay to wait until I get back and do it at 2,000 miles?
I know that first oil change is critical. So im concerned about this...

Ideally, I would find a HD dealer in NEW Orleans and do the service there..
But im almost sure that will not happen due to my trip planner (wife) and her itineraries...

Thanks for any advise.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Find an H-D dealer or an Indy to change the fluids. On a new bike I'd change the fluids as close to the 1k mark as possible just to have fresh fluid and make sure there is nothing bad circulating in there.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'm with Terry on this one. The 1K service is a critical one in my eyes. I would figure out a way to get it done along the way or jump on and get to the 1K mark before you go. Hell, you got 3-weeks before you leave. You could do that this weekend.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Agreed, I would not wait. Put a thousand miles on it before the trip and get the service done AND get a good feel for the new ride. Or find a place and have the service done during the trip. Have fun on the trip and be sure to post some pictures!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Get out and get some miles on that ride. It should be pretty easy to rack up 1K in three weeks, or at least get close. I would definitly get as close a possible, and get the fluids changed out, then you have nothing to worry about-other than enjoying the trip.

Rowdy

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Also, you want to make sure you break in your engine properly. Highway riding is not the preferred way to break in an engine. You want to vary your speed and keep it under 55 MPH. This is important to make sure that all the gaskets are seeded properly. Once your bike is properly broken in you can ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn it... I'm just gonna have to ride it everyday to work....
and around town on the weekends.... and get it as close as possible to 1000 miles in the next couple of weeks ...

The things i'm forced to do !:rolleyes:

Thanks guys..
I'll do just that...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Darn it... I'm just gonna have to ride it everyday to work....
and around town on the weekends.... and get it as close as possible to 1000 miles in the next couple of weeks ...

The things i'm forced to do !:rolleyes:

Thanks guys..
I'll do just that...
Cool! (and yes, I'm jumping on the band-wagon with the others). Get as many miles as possible ASAP and get'r'done before you leave - good choice Grumpy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree with what all others have said...

Putting the miles on will condition YOU as well. Didn't realize how important that was prior to my first long trip... you'll be glad you did!

Beavz

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
this is an easy fix. find something for your wife and you to do while the bike is getting serviced. there should be something close around there even if you have to take a cab. or drop her off at a spa while you get the bike done. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
... or jump on and get to the 1K mark before you go. Hell, you got 3-weeks before you leave. You could do that this weekend.
Hey, it only took me 16 days to hit the 1K mark on mine and I started with only 22 miles on it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No disrespect intended, but your question about a 1000 mile service interval lends me to think about the number of mileds you (and the wife) have logged on a bike.
A 2000 mile trip, especially while riding 2-up, should not be embarked upon by someone who is not COMPLETELY familiar with the bike.
As I said, no disrespect is intended, but you are talking some seriouis miles here.

Good Luck, and be safe.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
No disrespect intended, but your question about a 1000 mile service interval lends me to think about the number of mileds you (and the wife) have logged on a bike.
A 2000 mile trip, especially while riding 2-up, should not be embarked upon by someone who is not COMPLETELY familiar with the bike.
As I said, no disrespect is intended, but you are talking some seriouis miles here.

Good Luck, and be safe.
I don't necessarily agree with 'ya millgator but then I also read the OP's question to be more related to, "How picky is HD and their warranty on 1000 mile service" than "What's it like to take a 2000 mile trip".

I don't dispute gaining familiarity with a new scoot at all but, personally speaking, I think getting 1000 miles aboard first will get that done just fine. I guess we just don't know how much time his wife has riding passenger but he does so...

As you said too, no offense but that's the way I think anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I guess we just don't know how much time his wife has riding passenger but he does so...

As you said too, no offense but that's the way I think anyway.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, and your comment regarding how strict H-D is on warranty issues is a good point.
My concern is, and I could very well be off base here, how much experience he has. No mention is made of a previous bike. We have all had friends who had limited experience on an 800 lb bike, and off they go...
My comments were only made out of concern for new members to the tank. I hope my concerns are unfounded.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Fair enough, and your comment regarding how strict H-D is on warranty issues is a good point.
My concern is, and I could very well be off base here, how much experience he has. No mention is made of a previous bike. We have all had friends who had limited experience on an 800 lb bike, and off they go...
My comments were only made out of concern for new members to the tank. I hope my concerns are unfounded.
Cool mllgator. Just looking from different perspectives, that's all. Helps to fill in any blanks too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Break it in!

Not to be negative but... My experience with a new 2012 over 10 months says break it in and do the service first. I"d do it for the experience and time on the bike. I've been lucky in that my 3 breakdowns with TBW / wire harness issues happened close to home. Learning from this forum (and the shop manual) about how to reset trouble codes and pull fuses etc helped me avoid tows. In my case, it took about 1500 miles for the wire to wear thru the insulation and touch the frame (sometimes) when I turned the bars hard over. They fixed it per the bulletin the first time and it took two more trips to the shop for a total of about 3-4 weeks before they traced it down. Hopefully I can forget all that and do some touring myself. The upside is they wash the bike after each service call so I didn't have to wash it myself.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Break her in.........Take the wife for an overnight..... and put some miles on. Come home and get the bike serviced before you go. Then she knows what to expect and the bike is broke in correctly and serviced. Then ride the hell out of it! Thats what the Old School bikers always did when they rode.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Good Luck, and be safe.
I've done a handful of Long rides in excess of 3k roun trip with the wife on the back of my Road King & Ultra. Im not saying I'm an old geezer (yet) and have plenty of experience but we love the long rides ; and more importantly we have fun together.
.. My question really is about the 1,000 mile service and if it could wait until I got back. ....
I'll be trying to put in as close as possible to 1000 miles before I leave so I can do the fluid change...

The Road Glide rides sweet. and cuts thru the wind much nicer than my 2 other bikes. Im just needing a taller windshield & I'll be fine ...
Thanks !
Will

1 - 20 of 22 Posts