Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Going to change out my brake pads on my 09 FLTRSE3; currently running OME but want to go aftermarket OME pads seem quite hard on the rotors.

I am torn between Lyndall Gold + or EBC,s. Any thoughts (pro/cons) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
IMHO any sintered brake pad is going to be harsh on the rotors, some more so than others. I've had OEM and EBC on my Road Glide and put EBC pads on the wife's sporty, but haven't ever used the Lyndall Golds (although many swear by them as the best pads ever). I put EBC organics on the Sporty last time because I wanted to try and minimize some of the wear on the rotors and the bike doesn't get ridden that often anyway. But they don't stop near as well as the OEM pads did. I think brake pads are kind of like the oil debate........ once you use something that works really well for you it becomes the best ever.

On my pickups (which average about 35K miles per year) I use ceramic even though they aren't ideal for towing boats or trailers, but the trade off is high mileage out of the pads and the rotors. The wife's performance cars always get sintered, but I have to count on new pads and rotors every 25K miles.

I personally don't think you go wrong any way you choose as long as the brake pad type is compatible with the system you're installing it on, and understanding that excellent stopping power often comes at the expense reduced longevity of your pads and rotors. After all, they do rely on friction and sacrificial material working between the two.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I recently put Galfer pads and rotors on the front of my Glide. Absolutely no complaints out of me so far. Never ran anything but OEM on every bike until now. I'm very happy with them, the real test will be their sintered pads with the stock rotor on the rear.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
I'll check the two other brake pads manufactures. Problem is in Europe its a bit harder to find certain manufactures brands and I'm trying to avoid importing for the US (big ball ache with customs and duties etc.) if possible.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone,
I have found an EBC outlet in the UK I am still looking for one for Lyndall and compare pricing as well as delivery etc.. before making my final decision.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a local EBC supplier in Bulgaria so the choice is made for me. No problems with these pads I run them on my Heritage in Australia but the beastie is a lot big bike anyway I will try then if I am not happy I will buy some Lyndall when I go to Houston in November.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I like Brembo's (OEM) pads. Quiet, minimal dust and good mileage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently put Galfer pads and rotors on the front of my Glide. Absolutely no complaints out of me so far. Never ran anything but OEM on every bike until now. I'm very happy with them, the real test will be their sintered pads with the stock rotor on the rear.
+1 on that Galfer story.

I had two sets of OEM rotor that warped within 15,000 Km.

Dealership would not replace under warranty.

My Galfers have done 20,000 already and no sign of wear or warping.

·
Registered
427 Posts
+1 on that Galfer story.

I had two sets of OEM rotor that warped within 15,000 Km.

Dealership would not replace under warranty.

My Galfers have done 20,000 already and no sign of wear or warping.

I agree that Harley front rotors suck. I have warped my front rotors also.

Who ever at Harley designed these rotors needs to go back to a good Engineering school, or get their money back; they clearly don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep +1 on HD rotors I think this is the third set I'm on previous owner had them changed before I bought the bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Guys,
Going to change out my brake pads on my 09 FLTRSE3; currently running OME but want to go aftermarket OME pads seem quite hard on the rotors.

I am torn between Lyndall Gold + or EBC,s. Any thoughts (pro/cons) would be greatly appreciated.
Recently, replaced the front pads with sintered EBC's. Love'em.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lyndall

I can vouch for Lyndall Golds. And if there is a problem there customer service is excellent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts