Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Going to replace my brake pads on the beastie for the first time. I will use EBC pads going away from Harley pads, hopefully slowing wear on the rotors.

I watch a few video’s on YouTube one replacing OME pads and using brake lube on the back of the brake pads and another where they cleaned the calliper the just put the pads in without lubing them.

Question: Do I need to lube the back of the pads and pad-pin to stop brake noise or is it ok just to put the new pads in after cleaning the callipers?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't think I've ever lubed the back of mc brake pads. Never had an issue. Cars,, I always do.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
it isn't hard to put a little pad grease on there. would you rather install them dry, and then find you have to do the job over because you get squeal, or take an extra minute and put some on?

i know my answer.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it isn't hard to put a little pad grease on there. would you rather install them dry, and then find you have to do the job over because you get squeal, or take an extra minute and put some on?

i know my answer.
I assume your telling to grease the back of the pads then?????:frown:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys for the input;
I just received some Permatex Ultra caliper lube from my brother who's in the UK (hard to get in Bulgaria or equivalent) so I'll use it. Rather put some lube on the pads and has Skratch said than do the job twice.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I believe the phrase goes, an ounce of prevention is an ocean of cure. ive never done a brake job on any vehicle without using a brake grease

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Besides putting grease on the back side of the pads, my suggestion is to check the pad pin for wear and replace them if you notice any. I always put some grease on the pad pins and I also pull the metal shim like pieces (can't think of the real name for it) off and clean them thoroughly and when done I put grease where the pads contact the metal. I also grease where the pads make any contact on the calipers themselves. When I went through my brakes and installed Galfers not long ago, the pad pins on my front calipers had a decent amount of wear and grooving on them. Replacing them is not cost effective, but it's cheap insurance. The rear pad pin was like new, but i had a new one on standby so I put it on anyways. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides putting grease on the back side of the pads, my suggestion is to check the pad pin for wear and replace them if you notice any. I always put some grease on the pad pins and I also pull the metal shim like pieces (can't think of the real name for it) off and clean them thoroughly and when done I put grease where the pads contact the metal. I also grease where the pads make any contact on the calipers themselves. When I went through my brakes and installed Galfers not long ago, the pad pins on my front calipers had a decent amount of wear and grooving on them. Replacing them is not cost effective, but it's cheap insurance. The rear pad pin was like new, but i had a new one on standby so I put it on anyways. Good luck!
I'm getting some new pad pins just in case there's any signs of wear on the one's in the bike now. HD do allow for some wear on the pins I read in one of there service bulletins.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm getting some new pad pins just in case there's any signs of wear on the one's in the bike now. HD do allow for some wear on the pins I read in one of there service bulletins.
Have not seen any bulletins but something to think about. Any noticeable wear could potentially cause binding or sticking pads.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
buy some hi-temp grease for lubing them, too.
i always clean and grease 'em up on replacement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts