Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger on a 2016 RGS. Love the bike! After taking the taxes and license , insurance hit, I'm looking to save a few bucks by looking at aftermarket backrests and docking hardware. Any experience with some of these found on e-bay or amazon? Junky? or do I bite the bullet and pay the H D outrageous prices. Sudyke HD pretty good on prices. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are you talking about a rider or passenger backrest? I got one of the mutazu passenger ones off eBay. Pretty decent for $140-ish. If you contact them direct and mention this site they will send you a good one.

For a riders backrest I went with the kuryakyn one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently bought this one from ebay (but not from China) for $318 US plus shipping, rack and docking hardware. It is installed and is awesome. Great quality. Other than the front connectors on the rack are slightly too close together so I have to spread them slightly as I push them on to the dock but it is not a big deal. I do not have the passenger backrest (but I've seen those kits as well on ebay) so I don't know what the fitment is like with that. I saw that some guys have chrome covers to cover the bushings on the docking station and I'd like to get those but wasn't aware of them at the time I was looking. Since then I've noticed some of the kits on ebay come with them FYI

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got one off eBay for jut under 200 bucks and it came with side plates,sissy bar and removable luggage rack. Quality is great on the one I got

·
Registered
318 Posts
We all have different thoughts, on how much to spend, and what we want. I have some HD, some after market, some new, some used.

I purchased the HD docking at delivery. Easy install.

In my case, I had the upside down shock on the right side. Which I think screwed up the "fitment" listings by some of the aftermarket suppliers. A friend had one of the ones listed below, so I was able to prove it fit, prior to buying.

I never have a passenger. But, do pack quite a bit to travel. So, wanted a back rest and luggage rack.

Purchased this, it does fit, and would buy it again:

New Style Detachable Backrest Sissybar for Harley Davidson Touring 2009 2016 | eBay

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I bought my docking kit and rack and Razor tour pak.
All after market and the quality was spot on perfect.
I paid $240.00 to my door for the docking kit and rack and paid $395.00 for the Razor tour pak. The HD docking kit and rack would have been $360.00 plus tax and the HD Razor would have been around
$1,200.00
I paid $635.00 for the entire setup.
I saved a boat load of $$$$ and couldn't be happier.
Do you research on EBay and Amazon and read customer reviews and make your decision. Good Luck
Swomack

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the HD adjustable driver backrest and and mounting kit (ouch!) I mostly ride 1 up so I went HD at Surdyke .
As for the passenger backrest I will definitely be going aftermarket. Sounds like the aftermarket equipment is pretty decent. I like the looks of the backrest and luggage rack combo puckoach listed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the HD adjustable driver backrest and and mounting kit (ouch!) I mostly ride 1 up so I went HD at Surdyke .

As for the passenger backrest I will definitely be going aftermarket. Sounds like the aftermarket equipment is pretty decent. I like the looks of the backrest and luggage rack combo puckoach listed.

From personal experience, this will be your friend much more so than the harley instructions.

http://www.baggersmag.com/motorcycle-gear/h-d-adjustable-rider-backrest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts