Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After Sharkweek, my girlfriend and I plan on staying an extra day at San Antonio River Walk. (suggested by many friends). I have been looking at several of the hotels but the same issue keeps coming up.... parking!

Any of our Texas friends, or anyone who has been there, have any suggestions of a good hotel that has parking (even if I have to pay for it) or a good safe place to park the glide for a day?? I want to park it and not have to worry about it until I hit the road Saturday.

In addition, any suggestions of places to eat and drink are always welcome:D

(thinking about this trip is the only thing getting me through this #$&@*! winter!)

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I was looking for a hotel down there I contacted a few hotels asking what their policy is for motorcycles. Most of them are charging anywhere from $25-$30 per night. The http://www.mengerhotel.com/ hotel came back with a nice setup of $28 per slot and will allow up to 3 bikes per slot.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I guess I do things the odd way, I've been to San Antonio and the River Walk many times but never stayed right on the river, I guess I didn't like the cost. If you don't stay downtown, there are several parking lots that are somewhat secure close to the River Walk, where you can park your bike and walk to it, or catch a trolley.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess I do things the odd way, I've been to San Antonio and the River Walk many times but never stayed right on the river, I guess I didn't like the cost. If you don't stay downtown, there are several parking lots that are somewhat secure close to the River Walk, where you can park your bike and walk to it, or catch a trolley.
+1. Usually at the hotel, there is no one watching over your bike. Some of the secured lots are manned and they will watch out for you.

Unless it has changed, you might want to grab lunch at the Casa Rio. Great Tex-Mex and it's on the Riverwalk.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You might check out the Drury. Its a little unusual it's an old bank building. Supposed to be haunted. I always stay there when I go there for conventions. Room are nice and spacious. It says no self parking but I have parked my bike there myself. I just tipped the valet. Two of us shared one space for $21. If you want something different to eat Dick's Last Resort is fun as is Dirty Nelly's or Howl at the Moon.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for some of the ideas. My girlfriend is flying to met me for Sharkweek so she will have a rental car. I thinking I may schedule an overpriced oil change and service at a Harley dealer on Friday morning and pick the bike up the next day before heading home. (have to decide Caliente or Cowboys Alamo City)

This extra night stay idea is already beginning to look costly! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try the drury plaza or hotel contessa. There both next to the riverwalk by county line BBQ. Be sure and try mad dogs British pub and the esquire. The esquire is amazing. Longest wooden bar in Texas and oldest on the riverwalk.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the drury plaza or hotel contessa. There both next to the riverwalk by county line BBQ. Be sure and try mad dogs British pub and the esquire. The esquire is amazing. Longest wooden bar in Texas and oldest on the riverwalk.
Largest bar???? I may have to stay an extra day!!!! :D Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for some of the ideas. My girlfriend is flying to met me for Sharkweek so she will have a rental car. I thinking I may schedule an overpriced oil change and service at a Harley dealer on Friday morning and pick the bike up the next day before heading home. (have to decide Caliente or Cowboys Alamo City)

This extra night stay idea is already beginning to look costly! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Gruene HD in New Braunfels has by far the best customer service in the state. I would personally take my bike there over either dealer in San Antonio.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
IMO the River Walk is a must do either before or after SW. We went a few years ago and loved it. Some have mentioned saving some money and staying elsewhere and drive down there but I'd spend the bucks and stay right on the River Walk. There are plenty of restaurants and bars. You can take a tour of the River Walk by boat or go from place to place by water taxi or walk.

While down there the Alamo is within' walking distance and there's a tariff free marketplace with lots of shops with stuff from Mexico also within walking distance.

We were caging it but stayed in a very cool old bank building that had been converted to a hotel. Someone mentioned the Drury Inn and that may have been it but I'm thinking there is more then one Drury Inn down there. Whatever there are plenty of hotels down there. The one drawback of our room we were way up in the building as far as floor wise and still heard street noise for some reason.

Also I'm thinking Javelina Harley in Boerne, Texas is the sponsoring dealer for SW this year and if so they should be giving us a discount and express service. They're about 30 miles from San Antonio. I know nothing of their service though but can find out.

Edited: I checked with Andyman and Javelina is indeed the sponsoring dealer and they are giving us a 10% discount on parts and service, and I'm guessing everything else. Andy said their service is top notch and the head man Emerson from Javelina posts sometimes on the forum. Search Javelina HD. He said you could pm Emerson if you liked.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies. I plan an scheduling my bike at Javelina. Its on the way to San Antonio and I'd rather support someone who supports us!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
We stayed at The Hyatt Hotel for the Texas State HOG rally in 2013. Parking is across the street in a secured lot. The hotel is right on the river with lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance. It is very close to The Alamo too. It may be pricey but nothing compared to a nights stay at a dealership!!!

We will be in San Antonio on Sunday before SW. Join us at Big T's Roadhouse in St. Hedwig (15 minutes east of San Antonio) Sunday afternoon for Chicken Shit Bingo. It is a must see if you like cold beer, good music and the chance to win some cash! Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-T-Roadhouse/1407329876167484

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We will be in San Antonio on Sunday before SW. Join us at Big T's Roadhouse in St. Hedwig (15 minutes east of San Antonio) Sunday afternoon for Chicken Shit Bingo. It is a must see if you like cold beer, good music and the chance to win some cash! Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-T-Roadhouse/1407329876167484
Im not sure If Im going to be there in time. My goal is to be there by Sunday evening but I have a bunch of things Im stopping to see on the way so It is getting difficult to plan. I may make my last stop Wheels Through Time museum in NC then interstate it to Kerrsville. I still havent finalized plans yet.

and its only 3 months away!!! :eek:

I may have to check that on out on that Monday :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts