Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Road trips and have heard how some states, like California.
are cracking down on aftermarket exhaust
So which state like California issue tickets if your exhaust doesn't have the EPA stamp on the mufflers?

· Registered
196 Posts
Supposedly here in VA they can specifically Hampton Roads. But we had a lawyer at a local HOG meeting last month that specializes in motorcycle law that will represent you for free if you get a ticket for exhaust and a few other citations. But basically it was my understanding that the law states that the exhaust has to be basically the same as stock. But their argument is that usually the cop does not know what kind of bike it is let alone what the stock exhaust is supposed to be so it usually gets thrown out.

· Registered
339 Posts
Exhaust

Most LEO's have other things they would rather be doing, but like most of us they also have bosses who make their lives miserable if they don't do what is seen as "fixing the problem".

In most states the officer will not stop you for pipes, unless you do something to get their attention. (We all know what I mean, no reason to list it hear) in Maryland pipes to loud are an inspection issue. If the bike is registered in MD they write an inspection order. If it is out of state they can write a citation for the bike being to loud. I have only heard of this happening during the DELMARVA Bike Week in Ocean City, by MSP.

· Registered
4,692 Posts
in the many years of riding I've only been hassled twice for exhaust & mine were not even that loud.Borh times were on my wide glide and at the time i had straight shots Vance & Hines with baffles. Once was in Laconia bike week, they had set up check points for exhaust & bars. The other was on the Verrazano bridge heading to Staten Island by a port authority cop, this guy was a real hard-on. He actually stuck his knight stick in the exhaust to check for baffles and was cursing up a storm, how the F can you have baffles etc. He was busting chops about the bars too and did not care that I was on my way to a charity run, but eventually let me go when I mentioned a Liutenant he knew of and showed him my brothers PBA card. Most of the times they have better things they'd rather do like Hawkman said but then there's the cop who has a real hard-on for Riders. Its nothing to worry about, chances are slim you'd get a ticket for exhaust.

· Registered
7,518 Posts
The only place that has a state wide law in effect is CA that I know of.
California SB435 also known as the "Motorcycle Anti Tampering Act" states that any motorcycle 2013 and later has to have a EPA approved label on the exhaust. If there is no EPA label on the exhaust you can get a ticket that can range from a "Fix It Ticket" up to a $250 fine.
I ride into CA and I never been hassled and my exhaust is not stock. I don't know what would happen to out of state travelers if they were to be pulled over.
Other states may have noise ordinances in effect either locally or statewide.

· Registered
372 Posts
As a retired LEO, I can tell you that for the most part an Officer will not stop you just for pipes, unless they are obnoxiously loud and you are really on them. In most cases you will be stopped for a "moving" violation, ie speed, and after you are stopped the officer "might" inspect your pipes. A lot depends on your attitude when stopped. I can't tell you how many people I stopped with the intention of giving them a "warning" and they talked themselves into a ticket with their negative attitudes. A lot of officers ride and also have aftermarket pipes on their bikes and they think these type of laws are BS and will not enforce them unless the rider is a complete AH. Of course there are thousands of officers out there and I can't speak for all of them. But the majority that I worked with feel the same way I do.

· Registered
250 Posts
Bikejockey,
I live in Ca and have recored 4 previous bikes with fullsac baffles. never had a problem with local law enforcement. Did have the Sheriiff's pull me over when my 09 CVO RG was brand new. They hassled me about not displaying my registration paper. Gave them an earfull as to where am i going to put it where it wont blow off. Then he started in on not having reflectors. I told him they fell off! Bastard just wanted to look at the pretty silver bike!. Let me go...

· Registered
250 Posts
Usraptor,
I hear ya! I had parked illegally with a buttload of other bikes and a Sheriff was out starting to write tickets. I walked up on him and told him this one is my bike. He was a little pissy and so I asked him a few questions in a very soothing way. He then said "are you going to move it?" and I said yes sir and he stopped writing and let me go. He started on the next bike and the guy walked up and was giving him shit so he got the ticket!!!
(with me snickering in the background)

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LEO's are people too and just like the rest of us they have a job to do, a thankless job at that.
I have always found that treating them the way I would want to be treated goes a long way and has saved me more than one performance award.

· Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,589 Posts
I agree 100% that your attitude towards the cop has a lot to do with getting a ticket or not and no I'm not a cop I've just had the pleasure of meeting a whole bunch of them over the years. I've had them tell me that they decide within minutes if your getting a ticket if your a asshat your probably getting one. And no I'm not saying that if your pulled over for doing a 100 mph in a 55 that being nice will get you out of it there's times your getting one anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.