Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current situation: Sony DSX-MS60>>J&M 500W amp>>4 speakers (2 fairing/2 Tour Pak). I'm using the line out outputs (RCA) from the HU to the amp.

I want to add 2 speakers in the lowers. J&M says I need to wire the 4 front speakers in series on the 2 front channels. The rears would remain on the 2 rear channels. I don't really like this situation because 1)I'm just splitting power of the front channels between more speakers (and presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp) and 2) the tour pak is detachable so it won't always be on the bike, so I'm basically wasting the two rear channels when the TP isn't installed.

The question: Can I run the two fairing speakers and the two lower speakers off the 4 channels of the amp via the RCA outputs, while running the 2 TP speakers directly from the head unit (via the plug on the back).
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,452 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a good idea. Since you would have all four channels up front, when you do connect the tour pack, the front with the amps would completely over power the rear. If you tied the front speakers to all four channels of the amp, but only to the front output, tie the rear speakers to the rear output and turn the fader mostly to the rear when you put the pack on you would do better, but still not the idea situation.

Sent from my SPH-L710
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know you're right. The unamplified rears would be overwhelmed by the 4 amped speakers in the front. It's probably not the way to go. I just have a little devil sitting on my shoulder saying, "You know, you don't sit back there."

I'll do some thinking on it. Thanks dbell.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,452 Posts
How often do you ride 2 up, and when you do, do they listen to and like your music?

Sent from my SPH-L710
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,456 Posts
I'd throw all the power up front for my 80% of the time and get a set ear buds for Mama's I-Tunes for the other 20%.......But that's just me..........and that little devil that's on yer shoulders! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the way I'm leaning Jetman, but then I'm changing my mind every 10 minutes too. I've another week or so until my lower speakers get here, so I've got a little time to mull it over.


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
I ran amplified rear speakers last year. While it did make an improvement, I found amplified lowers to be a much larger improvement.

You mentioned you only ride 2-up 20% of the time, I think the devil wins!!:D

Just my .02

this year I went back to un-amplified rears. I figure if I really want more, saddlebag lids!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,019 Posts
Jay, I have the J&M 500 watt amp, fairing and lower fairing speakers, and subs in the saddlebags.
It does sound better when the fronts are on their own channel, but i run the fronts in series on the front channel, and the subs off the rear channel, and it still sounds good. Just turn the gain up on the amp for the front channel, and you will have plenty of power still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
That's one of the good things about being old and having an Ultra.:D
I don't want to take my tour pak off, that way the 2 HW 6.5's I'm installing in my rear pods and the HW CS300 that will be pushing them will sound great.....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,452 Posts
Well Jay, I don't want to seem selfish, but I think the devil would be winning in my case also. Unless you want to throw a small amp in the TP, and just hook the whole set up when you attach the TP. I'm thinking earbuds and IPod. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, of course the devil was gonna win. Why was I thinking otherwise? I should know by now that when seeking advice about my addiction, asking a group of similar crackheads produces a predictable response. :D

Yep, I'm going to set it up with all the power in the front 4 speakers, and run the TP speakers directly off the head unit. I spoke to Bill @ Biketronics today (very knowledgable and helpful guy). He confirmed that this setup would work. He suggested that I could play with the amp gains and fader settings to optimize it. He also said, 'Hey, give it a shot, if you don't like it you can always add a second amp later'.

Now, i've just gotta wait till my parts get here.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top