Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, and I’m exploring lever options for a ‘21 FLTRX. Clutch pull requires more effort than I think is necessary. I’m wondering what options are out there to correct, I’m not finding many for my generation of RG.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting. I actually think the pull on my 21 is easier and more manageable than the pull I had on my hydraulic 17 king. On the king I put Softbrake levers on to help with control in the friction zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is the "pull effort" a direct result of the hardware (clutch lever) or the mechanicals behind it?

For comfort, I went with the SoftBrake levers. But the pull effort did not change.

I am interested to hear more - learning is a good thing and this is a great place to learn.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Is the "pull effort" a direct result of the hardware (clutch lever) or the mechanicals behind it?

For comfort, I went with the SoftBrake levers. But the pull effort did not change.

I am interested to hear more - learning is a good thing and this is a great place to learn.
You are exactly right on the comfort/pull distinction.
I have found on brand new bikes the pull effort gets easier over time

·
Super Moderator
13,062 Posts
Being that it’s a 21 and they went back to cable, wondering if the options for pre-14 will work?

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the comfort vs effort distinction. My goal is to resolve pull effort. My riding buddies with decades of HD riding and wrenching exp agree the pull effort on my RG is atypical (but perhaps not for new touring bikes).

that said, I wouldn’t mind shorter, more comfortable lever either.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Aim clutch plate reduces the pull quite a bit unless you get the high performance one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you asked your riding buddies with decades of experience, what options did they offer???
they are unfamiliar with options for my generation of touring bike, NCPiper, They did have suggestions we looked up, but none of those mate to my model year. Does that answer your question (with three exclamation points)?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok. I was just totally befuddled why, having access to that level of resources, they didn't offer a solid solution.

It was a real head scratcher. Perhaps invite them to this forum. It's a great place for everyone to learn something new.

Hope you get it all sorted with a growing appreciation for the decades of experience we have access to here. Some really great folks.

they are unfamiliar with options for my generation of touring bike, NCPiper, They did have suggestions we looked up, but none of those mate to my model year. Does that answer your question (with three exclamation points)?

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I was just totally befuddled why, having access to that level of resources, they didn't offer a solid solution.

It was a real head scratcher. Perhaps invite them to this forum. It's a great place for everyone to learn something new.

Hope you get it all sorted with a growing appreciation for the decades of experience we have access to here. Some really great folks.
I didn't intend for any of my comments to confuse or befuddle. My understanding was this was a forum for sharing knowledge and information on RGs. Apologies for my comments about my riding friends, where my intention was mostly to highlight my perceptions about lever pull effort were not uniquely my own. Instead, I unintentionally established with NCPiper that I have access to some all-knowing clutch lever pulling knowledge base for all years and generations of Harley's, which is not the case. Sorry if this fell short of the implied expectations. This newbie has made a mental note, all comments are subject to scrutiny, however ignorant or well-intentioned.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Have you adjusted the clutch at all? When I had my 1000 mile service done I had them adjust the clutch, it was all the way towards the release of the lever.
All bikes are different, but coming from a hopped up '09 , my new one is takes half the effort the old one did

Reactions: rdubya73

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m due for 1k service so I’ll try that. It’s currently twice the effort of my last bike.

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
259 Posts
Check out the brand 1FNGR, I went with their shortened 2 finger pull brake and clutch levers. Haven’t installed them yet as I have a full kraus handlebar setup to do but from what they say and all the reviews confirming they reduce pull effort by over 30% I believe. I got mine from speed kings.

·
Registered
‘21 Road Glide
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check out the brand 1FNGR, I went with their shortened 2 finger pull brake and clutch levers. Haven’t installed them yet as I have a full kraus handlebar setup to do but from what they say and all the reviews confirming they reduce pull effort by over 30% I believe. I got mine from speed kings.
I picked up a 1FNGR, had to return it wasn’t compatible with the lever housing on ‘21 FLTRX

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
259 Posts
I picked up a 1FNGR, had to return it wasn’t compatible with the lever housing on ‘21 FLTRX
Maybe you got the wrong one, I haven’t put mine on yet but speed kinds assured me the ones I bought will fit my 21.

My situation might be different as I’m going to a moto T bar setup and won’t be using the factory inside portion of housing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Clutch works great!. I have the 1,000 service coming up soon. The dealer knows I changed the cable, and did all my own fluid changes. I did NOT tell them about the muller ramp. When I first adjusted the clutch, I backed off the adjuster 1/2 turn. So much slack in the cable, I could not "tighen" it up properly. Re-adjusted to almost 1/4. I also made sure the clutch lever play was at its max. By that I mean the lever pulled all the way in against the grip and no movement at the clutch. After initial ride, I found the fritction zone was to early, so I ajusted the clutch cable and little, and now its where I like it. 2 or 3 fingers to hold the bike in the friction zone for slow maneuvers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting. I actually think the pull on my 21 is easier and more manageable than the pull I had on my hydraulic 17 king. On the king I put Softbrake levers on to help with control in the friction zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
REALLY!! You are drinking the Mothership Kool Aid. What BS that HD would take away the hydraulic clutch. I have several Harley's in my garage and the one's with the hydraulic clutch are superior. Don't get me wrong about enjoying the older models but get real. They did it to save money and one day they will be out of business.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts