Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience replacing a stock HD battery with a Lithium battery? Believe I have a cell going bad and may need a replacement before I go for a long ride this summer. Dead batteries on the road are a PITA.

Thanks in advance.
Scoots

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm running Shorei lithiums in my Road Glide and my 03 Kawi ZRX for a couple years now. They're a investment but have been great to me. They're so light they feel like display batteries. Check cycleplicity.com, they had the best price when I bought mine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a Shorai in my previous Road Glide. Because of the security system, it would drain every 2 weeks. I had to keep it on their special charger/tender always. Loved the light weight and cranking amps of the thing but didn't like the fact it would drain so quickly. Shorai sent me a replacement and said to always keep it on the charger when not in use for a few days. I ended up putting the replacement in my airplane and with no draw, it's been great. Went back to a gel cell on the new RGU.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
As an alternative to lithium,I've been using an odyssey battery for 2 years now,very happy with it.It gets cold here,and so the bikes sits in the winter.

Odyssey says you don't need to plug it in,and I haven't needed to.The bike can sit for most of the winter and still start right up.

The cost is more than a regular aftermarket battery,but less then a stock one from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Just be sure and buy the right lithium battery. I can't remember the terminology, but one is made different then the originals that you read about burning up on laptops and other toys and such. Avoid those made like this.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have a riding buddy that has one in his 2010 EG. He likes it, never had a problem.

That said, I fly R/C planes and they use these batteries. If you drop below 3 volts per cell, it ruins them. Overcharging, ruins them. Under voltage, overcharging, physical damage and things simple as age can cause a fire. It's a very violent chemical fire, too. Go to YouTube and search "LiPo Battery Fire".

Yeah, I know, it's not the same thing, but It Is the same chemistry, and not a risk I'm willing to take. I have no intention of starting a debate, if you want to run one, nothing will likely ever go wrong. I'm just fine with old fashioned lead acid batteries. Keep them on a trickle charger if you're not riding for awhile, and they will last many years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run with an EarthX ETX36C Lithium IRON battery. EarthX recommends the EXT36E but the only difference in the two are the actual case sizing. I had the 36C from a Honda Fury that I owned previous and wasnt about to give the Harely dealer a $350 battery. Also will add that the 36C give me some extra room in the battery box if it comes time for an air ride or anything else that needs wired up.

I learned a couple things though. You will read different reviews of these batteries. I believe its on HDForums a thread complaining about them or atleast talking about them and how they dont hold up. You will need to get a tender compatible with the battery. I bought the charger and the battery directly from their website. I bought the recommended charger (Optimate TM-471) and plug in the bike only if I dont plan on riding in the next 5 days. With the radio and the security system, there is a lot more "behind the scene" draining that goes on that we dont really account for.

Ive had this battery going on for a year now with no issues. The honda had a hot restart issue that this battery fixed due to the high cranking amps. I have had no issues starting the RGS that I just got about a month ago. Feel bad having a perfectly fine stock battery on my garage floor.

EarthX is made in the U.S., very good customer service, 2 year 100% warranty, and if you find that thread about the problems you will see they stand behind their product. Pricey yes, but you pay for quality!

·
Registered
855 Posts
For one, LiPo is Lithium Polymer and most motorcycle batteries are Lithium Iron. Secondly the first two videos on YouTube using your search showed one guy hammering on the battery with the claw end of a hammer for minutes, the second, a dude drove a nail through the battery to cause the fire. Not sure I'd do either of those with my bike.

I have a riding buddy that has one in his 2010 EG. He likes it, never had a problem.

That said, I fly R/C planes and they use these batteries. If you drop below 3 volts per cell, it ruins them. Overcharging, ruins them. Under voltage, overcharging, physical damage and things simple as age can cause a fire. It's a very violent chemical fire, too. Go to YouTube and search "LiPo Battery Fire".

Yeah, I know, it's not the same thing, but It Is the same chemistry, and not a risk I'm willing to take. I have no intention of starting a debate, if you want to run one, nothing will likely ever go wrong. I'm just fine with old fashioned lead acid batteries. Keep them on a trickle charger if you're not riding for awhile, and they will last many years.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I put on the Antigravity 24 cell over a year ago and 14000 miles when I did the 124HC and I absolutely love it. Bike cranks and starts like a Honda now. Zero issues, use their charger when I will be off the bike for more than a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts