Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Pick your poison. If I had an M8 I'd still use Royal Purple. It's what I ran in my 96" my pre Rushmore 103" and my 16.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket synthetic oil for the Milwaukee 8?
Any of them will do. I buy whatever 20w-50 MC specific synthetic that is on sale at WalMart or Auto Zone. Usually Valvoline or Mobil 1. Would probably be fine with plain old 20w-50 Mobil 1 car oil. Change it with filter according to the maintaince schedule and you are fine.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
instead of paying the big bucks for redline primary, I would recommend shell rotella t. runs about $14 for a 4qt jug and is jaso rated for wet clutch use. I change it at 5k intervals anyway so why pay the big bucks for full synthetic when it isn't necessary.

I do pay the big bucks for the redline 20w-60 for the motor though.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
ATF in the Primary

Anyone ever use ATF in their primary? I have read on other forums that it would work fine and have done it and have had no issues with clutch performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AmsOil

I changed mine at 400 miles to AmsOil and filter, brought to dealer at 1K for that service, went home and drained all that and replaced all 3 with AmsOil Full synthetic. I used the dedicated tranny fluid and the dedicated primary fluid, though you can use the 20w50 in all the holes, I went with the dedicated fluid for the other 2. Shifts smooth, runs smooth, so far so good. Been using that stuff in my cars since new as well.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Anyone ever use ATF in their primary? I have read on other forums that it would work fine and have done it and have had no issues with clutch performance.
Ozglide11, I use ATF Type F in my primary and it works great.
It's very inexpensive.
It makes it easy to find neutral too.
Mike U.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed mine at 400 miles to AmsOil and filter, brought to dealer at 1K for that service, went home and drained all that and replaced all 3 with AmsOil Full synthetic. I used the dedicated tranny fluid and the dedicated primary fluid, though you can use the 20w50 in all the holes, I went with the dedicated fluid for the other 2. Shifts smooth, runs smooth, so far so good. Been using that stuff in my cars since new as well.
You mean you threw away good oil after a change and replaced it with other oil. I think I would have used 3k miles and then changed oil. You never know the oil they put in it may have been good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been using Motul oil in the crank, Redline Shock-proof in the tranny and Redline primary on my last 4 harleys. So far so good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts