Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Riders, after riding my bike down to Florida this past week, I was having issues with the radio/speakers on my RGU not working properly. Sometimes it would work fine, other times it wouldn't work at all. Now, without taking the fairing off and looking at it (which I'll get to in a second), I'm assuming its a bad wire/connection. Before I start to get crucified for this, I plan on replacing ALL speakers and getting rid of the shit Hogtunes speakers that are currently in place. Lower fairing speakers will be added as well as an amp in the main fairing. Having said all that.....My question is has anyone replaced their factory HK radio with a flip out touch screen on a Road Glide and if so, were they happy with the setup and what kind of radio receiver did you go with? I want to do this all at ONE TIME so thats why I haven't taken the fairing off just yet. I would like all my proverbial ducks in a row before I start buying speakers and radios and beer lol thanks for any input!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not sure a flip out touch screen will endure the vibration. It is meant to sit in the comfy dash of a cage with soft suspension to keep it’s delicate mechanism safe. Then there is the environmental issue....mainly heat and moisture with no AC to draw the humidity out of the air.

You might talk with Iron Cross I believe it is...they work on the HK head units.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I presume you have a 13 or older Shark. I would recommend the Aquatic AV Radios, they are water tight and sound great, and are compatible with the Harley radio controls without an adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presume you have a 13 or older Shark. I would recommend the Aquatic AV Radios, they are water tight and sound great, and are compatible with the Harley radio controls without an adapter.

Correct I do have a '13. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: bosshogg123

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure a flip out touch screen will endure the vibration. It is meant to sit in the comfy dash of a cage with soft suspension to keep it’s delicate mechanism safe. Then there is the environmental issue....mainly heat and moisture with no AC to draw the humidity out of the air.

You might talk with Iron Cross I believe it is...they work on the HK head units.

Ok thanks for the heads up! I honestly didnt think about the heat being an issue. The moisture/rain did cross my mind but not the heat.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I have seen an aftermarket flip out screen on a bike but it was on a street glide. It was actually a DVD player / radio. I dont know what brand it was but it appeared to be a trailer queen that didn't get ridden too much. The dudes system sounded fantastic but like someone mentioned previously I'm not sure it would hold up to the vibrations of the bike. The one I saw was stationary and the bike didn't look like it moved around too much

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Look at the Alpine 149BT with a Vtwin audio kit. I have been running one for over 5 years thru plenty of rain and heat with no issues.
One of the great things about the Alpine unit is it's 9 band EQ that you can adjust with the TuneIt app with you phone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put an aquatic av in my 06. Hookup is literally plug and play. I have older JM rokker speakers it’s sounds pretty good for not having an actual amp.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm running a older Alpine CDE HD147BT....
Bluetooth, CD, Pandora, USB thumb drive/or mp3, HD Radio.....no XM radio, didn't want it....
This won't die, have it for 6 years now with no issues....Using Biketronics weather guard cover....Water tight....Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Alpine with J&M amp and speakers, how did you get the rear speakers wired up? The wiring harness I have is only good for two speakers not four?
Or is it easier to go with the Aquatic?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the Aquatic AV in my 13 about 2 months ago, and actually put it to hogtunes speakers. It's running 2 ohm obviously now. So even without an amp its actually pretty loud. Or at least way louder and clearer than stock. I honestly love it more than i thought i would. I can see the screen easily (i did not get the color screen one, it's a bike why do i need pretty images), the buttons are huge so when its raining or cold for 3 days in florida i can still use it with ease with gloves. It was super easy install, truly plug and play and the hand controls work perfectly with it.

Now that being said...it is louder and clearer for sure. I'd still like a little louder and a little clearer. Amp and better 2 ohm speakers to come soon! I've heard a lot of people complain that it doesn't have enough ability to tune the sound. But honestly, when going highway speeds on a motorcyle with loud exhaust i don't think any tuning is going to make it sound like a car stereo.

for my money i would totally do it again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
glad this thread exists, lead me to buy the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H today. I already have the HogTunes 24.2 amp, so I'll see how much better it sounds than my stock headunit after install.

·
Registered
314 Posts
glad this thread exists, lead me to buy the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H today. I already have the HogTunes 24.2 amp, so I'll see how much better it sounds than my stock headunit after install.

Is that the one with xm satellite. Thinking about that one any feedback

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just need to figure out how to get my rear speakers working with my J&M amp (front speakers work fine). I am sure I am not the only one to run into this issue, let you all know if I come across a solution.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From J&M - Just connect the RCA direct jumpers between the new radio and the amp RCA. In case anybody else runs into this problem.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Caddy, I have the Aquatic and it has its pros and cons. **I have the cheaper version so this pertains to the one I have
Pros-
Plug and Play
Waterproof, 2 years no problems at all

Cons-
Mine does not have a thumb drive input
I have 2 amps hooked up to it so tuning with this HU is not as good as it could be.

Stay away from the J and junk stuff. Figure out your budget and decide what your goals are. Audio is/can be a never ending journey. Im waiting on my 4th go around with speakers. Nothing has been wrong with the previous sets its just time to move on and step it up.
Clean power. Clean power. Clean Power.

You will get much much more for your money if you piece together your system. However, some guys want a system all ready "Set Up" for them. Up to you to make that choice.
Whats right for me might not be right for you. Listen to some set ups before you make your decision.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Caddy, I have the Aquatic and it has its pros and cons. **I have the cheaper version so this pertains to the one I have
Pros-
Plug and Play
Waterproof, 2 years no problems at all

Cons-
Mine does not have a thumb drive input
I have 2 amps hooked up to it so tuning with this HU is not as good as it could be.

Stay away from the J and junk stuff. Figure out your budget and decide what your goals are. Audio is/can be a never ending journey. Im waiting on my 4th go around with speakers. Nothing has been wrong with the previous sets its just time to move on and step it up.
Clean power. Clean power. Clean Power.

You will get much much more for your money if you piece together your system. However, some guys want a system all ready "Set Up" for them. Up to you to make that choice.
Whats right for me might not be right for you. Listen to some set ups before you make your decision.
So I realize that this is over a year and a few months late, but honestly I forgot alllll about this thread til today! So thank you every for your input.
@phillyfan1....you suggest not going with J&M Speakers? From what I've read, they are good quality and sound great. I do like Rockford Fosgate, I actually saw their booth this past weekend at the Rally in Milwaukee, just a smaller speaker than was J&M offers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
So I realize that this is over a year and a few months late, but honestly I forgot alllll about this thread til today! So thank you every for your input.

@phillyfan1....you suggest not going with J&M Speakers? From what I've read, they are good quality and sound great. I do like Rockford Fosgate, I actually saw their booth this past weekend at the Rally in Milwaukee, just a smaller speaker than was J&M offers. Thanks again!

Right now the MMats PA601CX 6.5 Speakers are getting Great Reviews and for Amps the Stinger 700.4 and the Soundigital 800.4 are two of the popular ones also getting great reviews.

It would be best to do a Google Search on what You are looking for to get an idea and listen to The YouTube to see if You like the sound of speakers You're thinking of using.

There's plenty of information available for Speakers, Amps and Wiring so You can piece it all together Yourself.

Like phillyfan1 stated stay away from J&M as they are overpriced for what You get and The Harley Boom Stuff even tho some people like it.

I just redid My Audio System and found what I was looking for by reading a lot of available information and asking a lot of questions.

Hope this helps and Best of Luck on Your decision.

Mike U.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts