Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a $500+ dollar bill if I get a new Harley starter and let the dealership put it in. What are the alternatives? I think I can put one in, just not sure what and what I could get a refurbished one for less than $200. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Last starter I put in was from ultima products, got it through bikers choice for under $200 I think. Also went larger KW as it was going on my 107 which ate Harley starters. I would have to check paperwork for actual part #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have a couple friends that replaced their starters for one that has a push in lever and it starts the bike up. I can check on that for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I paid $180 for a rebuild here(1.2kw).... It failed after 629 miles. Got it rebuilt for free then it completely grenaded after 650 miles.

I but the bullet and picked up the HO starter that HD sells. So far so good.

Your results may vary.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1470878690.741029.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get a 1.4W aftermarket for about $157 or a 1.6W for about $180. Stock for a 2013 Road Glide Custom is a 1.2W. I checked Ultima, but they only make starter up to 2005. They Harley changed the starters in 2006.
I put a 110 CI engine in, so thinking about the 1.4W aftermarket. CVOs come with a 1.4W. I found a 2.4W for about a grand, but why would I want to. No sure if the 1.2W is worth rebuilding, except to sell.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is on a totally different engine; however I replaced my EVO starter for under $200 with a 1.4KW starter. Works AMAZING.. However, it was REALLY REALLY easy to put in. Infact I just had to remove it to work on my inner primary seal the other day. Came out in like 20 seconds.

-G

·
Registered
792 Posts
I pulled mine (10 RGC) to replace the starter clutch, wasn't any big deal ... half an hour maybe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
had a friend replace his starter with one off a honda (or was it toyota) small car. Point is, these twincam starters are used elsewhere than just HD. Find out what the automotive replacement is for it and save a ton.

(to the naysayers, I saw both starters on the benchtop and you couldn't tell the difference between the two.)

·
Registered
987 Posts
had a friend replace his starter with one off a honda (or was it toyota) small car. Point is, these twincam starters are used elsewhere than just HD. Find out what the automotive replacement is for it and save a ton.

(to the naysayers, I saw both starters on the benchtop and you couldn't tell the difference between the two.)
You are correct. Both are Nippendenso starters, and I believe the starter used on Toyotas are the same exact ones Harley uses. I don't recall the Toyota part # right off hand, but if you google a cross reference of some sort it should be found quite easily. Or, try searching Toyota starter for Harley or something to that effect.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Actually the stock starter should be just fine.
Your 2013 has ACR's so the compression even in a high compression engine shouldn't be high enough to cause starting issues to the point where you need a high output starter.
What makes you think that the starter is problem? In most instances compensator problems could be mistaken for starter problems. There may be a chance that the ACR are not working correctly as well, or the bike is out of tune enough to cause a starting issue..
I still have the stock starter in my 08 and it started the bike with a 103 engine without any type of compression releases for years, the only time I got starter grind, stall or clunk is when the compensator was taking a shit.

·
Registered
654 Posts

That's interesting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the starter

I found a starter by AC-Electric. $157 + tax. Took two days to arrive. The hardest part was wiggling out the old one and disabling the alarm. The removal just took time. I had to pull a fuse to disable the alarm, which made my neighbors happy.

It starts right up now. I think the old starter had more issues than just being a 1.2W vs a 1.4W. Either way, I will most likely take it apart and rebuild it as a spare.

Had the compensator replaced when I replaced the engine. Also had the battery tested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts