Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an aftermarket tourpak off eBay in the summer of 13. It was used on 2 long trips in that time frame. On both trips it had a luggage bag strapped to the luggage rack.

I went for a ride yesterday and stopped for lunch. I opened the lid to put my helmet inside and as soon as it rested against the stop cord the lid ripped off the base.

The one I purchased is the same dimensions as the HD king tourpak. I was even able to install the premium hinges and latches on it. All of the holes lined up perfectly. The only difference I could tell from factory was it is made of injection molded plastic in lieu of fiberglass.

I'm sure the cold temps aided in the demise of my tourpak, but beware if you try to save some money buying one of these.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
The only difference I could tell from factory was it is made of injection molded plastic in lieu of fiberglass.
bummer.

my cvo tourpack is abs base with a fiberglass lid.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
That sucks. Harley has been making theirs from ABS plastic for quite a few years now.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm paranoid about this even with an HD tourpak. I usually have my wife hold the lid while I load the TP

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Double bummer. Maybe add some metal plates and longer screws to distribute the hinge load over a larger area?
Oh sure. Now you tell me. It's a good thought, but with just the weight of the lid I did not expect this.

That sucks. Harley has been making theirs from ABS plastic for quite a few years now.
Good to know. I thought the HD versions were all fiberglass. I was doing some research last night and came across the Calvary Fiberglass ones. They are fiberglass top and bottom and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I also am very careful when opening my chopped tour pack,i never let it snap against the cord for fear of the cord breaking and this happening to mine,even though it is a HD tour pack.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I bought an aftermarket tourpak off eBay in the summer of 13. It was used on 2 long trips in that time frame. On both trips it had a luggage bag strapped to the luggage rack.

I went for a ride yesterday and stopped for lunch. I opened the lid to put my helmet inside and as soon as it rested against the stop cord the lid ripped off the base.

The one I purchased is the same dimensions as the HD king tourpak. I was even able to install the premium hinges and latches on it. All of the holes lined up perfectly. The only difference I could tell from factory was it is made of injection molded plastic in lieu of fiberglass.

I'm sure the cold temps aided in the demise of my tourpak, but beware if you try to save some money buying one of these.

Who did you buy that from ?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who did you buy that from ?
I do not recall except that it was on eBay. I looked thru the current listings, but I do not see the same seller listing.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I bought mine on there too a few years ago. As I remember, it was a company out of Colorado.
So far so good, but I dont keep the pack on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts