Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What stage 1 air cleaner kit can you recommend and how much was it?
Looking for a good budget friendly kit for my 2018 RG. TIA

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I prefer the Arlen Ness Air Cleaners because they have a built in reservoir to prevent oil blow back from going all over your pants, saddle bags, etc...

The only thing you got to do is empty the reservoir at every service interval. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Rauzer

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Went with the s &s stealth unit. You use the stock cover but change the guts. About $200.00.

I like the open look but didn't want to deal with the keeping the filter from getting wet BS. I am lazy and it would get wet. So I know me....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'll second the Nessie Big Sucker. I like the way it fits under the stock cover, so only the really tuned in people know its there.

But still has lots of surface for air flow.

Don't really need the oil catchment, I modified mine to vent to the ground.

·
Registered
186 Posts
+1 for the S&S Stealth. I love the classic tear drop shape! Crappy resolution pic included below. I had mine cerakoted gray. I did install a custom catch can to bypass the air cleaner entirely to prevent oil dripping out of the bottom of the air cleaner filter media.

+1 for the Arlen Ness Big Sucker right outta the box! I actually bought this for exactly that reason - well engineered solution to the oil drip! I only removed the Arlen Ness to go more old skool on the look and I wanted more airflow capacity to allow less vacuum pressure across the filter media. My goal was to create as little vacuum effect as possible on each square inch of media to lessen the possibility of particles being pulled into the engine. There are even better filters than the S&S for filter surface area.....I'm admittedly a bit vain in that I love the classis S&S air cleaner! The 'Big Sucker' by Arlen Ness is a great solution tho! Oil drip control + rain shielding since you retain the stock cover.

·
Registered
751 Posts
+1 on the s&s stealth for what you seem to be looking for. Good filter at a good price because you can reuse the stock cover. There are also some covers that you can buy if down the road you want to change the look from the stock.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm happy with my Vance & Hines VO2 Naked. The version I have uses the stock cover for a sleeper look. Also has a built in billet venturi for increased air flow. List price is $180, so at least local dealer discount off that.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
+1 on the s&s stealth for what you seem to be looking for. Good filter at a good price because you can reuse the stock cover. There are also some covers that you can buy if down the road you want to change the look from the stock.
I remember seeing on here a clear cover that fit on the s&s stealth, but I can't find it. Was thinking if getting it and possibly keeping it on and try to be good about keeping it dry.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I run a standard HD Stage 1 intake with the stock cover. They will all utilize a K&N filter or one of a different company that will mimic a K&N. All you need to do is figure out what style you want and go from there.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
+1 for the S&S Stealth. I love the classic tear drop shape! Crappy resolution pic included below. I had mine cerakoted gray. I did install a custom catch can to bypass the air cleaner entirely to prevent oil dripping out of the bottom of the air cleaner filter media.

+1 for the Arlen Ness Big Sucker right outta the box! I actually bought this for exactly that reason - well engineered solution to the oil drip! I only removed the Arlen Ness to go more old skool on the look and I wanted more airflow capacity to allow less vacuum pressure across the filter media. My goal was to create as little vacuum effect as possible on each square inch of media to lessen the possibility of particles being pulled into the engine. There are even better filters than the S&S for filter surface area.....I'm admittedly a bit vain in that I love the classis S&S air cleaner! The 'Big Sucker' by Arlen Ness is a great solution tho! Oil drip control + rain shielding since you retain the stock cover.

View attachment 419351
I run the S&S Stealth on my twin cam. Not a lot out there to choose from when you run a larger throttle body. I hide it behind an earlier vintage dog bowl.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I am not really sure exactly what you get for that cost. Is it just the clear cover, ring and bolts only for that cost or the entire system?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Says "includes cover and hardware". So you would get the cover and bolts to mount the cover, but NOT the filter itself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts