Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I am not sure has been ask that I have been thinking about.

Like most guys, I do my bike improvement in small steps, so I am going with a full stage 1 upgrade over the summer or fall.

Question is, can I install a new "higher flow" air cleaner now and not alter the stock fuel map or the stock headers?
I am not changing the stock head pipe, the head pipe change will be the last piece of the puzzle and then at that time I'll add a fuel controler and make the upgrade complete.

In my mind the motor doesn't care if the intake is "higher flow", becuase with the current stock fuel map the motor will only be calling for X amount of air, so it will be no different and no potential issues, correct?
Or am I missing something?
Would or could this void my warranty, I will be upgrading to the HDSE intake?

I realize the best thing to do is do it all at one time but I don't have the funds for that with other projects getting in the way now.

Thanks for your input and your time.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
What H-D states in their parts manual, if you change to a high flow air breather, you have to tune for the higher air intake. Now, a tech at my dealer told me if I changed air intake to a high flow, I need to change the map. He also pointed out, depending on any dealer that works on your bike and it is still under warrant, without the map update, if the dealer notes to H-D that the breather was changed and no map was done, H-D could void your warrant.

I realize many riders make that change without a map change. For the cost of any possible repairs, I did the map update as I did not want to void my warrant.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can change the pipes without remapping the ecm but any change to the air intake re: hi-flow air cleaner a fuel mapping adjustment is necessary. Without it the motor will run lean to the point where damage could occur.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
According to the parts catalog, starting with the 2017 models, even just slipons require recalibration. My dealer would not install slipons at delivery without recalibration. I'm sure it is just a money maker and in reality isn't required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts