Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing an S&S intake on my bike, the bike only has about 6k miles on it.
Is it normal for me to see some black residue and/or oil residue on the intake valve?

I have not had the stock intake apart before.
Made a mistake and did not get a before picture before I cleaned it really well.

Thanks for any info. about this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most likely due to oil carry-over from breathers in the heads that gets routed back into the intake. The two small hoses that you see going into the back side of the intake are what routes the oil carry-over back into your intake to get burned off (thanks EPA). Some are worse than others but it's fairly normal to see the result you describe. It also causes carbon buildup on pistons...best to re-route it elsewhere.

On my TC, when I replaced intake I re-routed these lines back along swingarm and down to ground. Planning to do the same with my M8 when I get around to doing Stg 2 upgrade. I'm sure guys have done it on M8's and have some advice/examples of what they did.

Reactions: BH#103

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the next thing I need to ask about.
I removed the breather bolts and the rubber breather tube.
Then the S&S instructions say to reuse the breather bolts but don't mention the rubber breather tube, maybe I didn't read it good enough?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Like previously mentioned it is more than likely the oil getting fed back into the intake. Some people use a catch can and some just vent it to the ground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the catch can setup DK Customs sells. I highly recommend it.

I'm not associated, just a convenient package.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That is the next thing I need to ask about.
I removed the breather bolts and the rubber breather tube.
Then the S&S instructions say to reuse the breather bolts but don't mention the rubber breather tube, maybe I didn't read it good enough?
You need to tell us witch S&S AC you purchased to answer that. The reason for the stock yube is to direct the vent straight into the intake. So any over flow goes in and not dripping out of AC.
With the right search to can find an install video on just about any S&S ac on the net.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you get a tuner? Our bikes come from the MOCO very lean(Tanks EPA). Any AC change requires at tune. You dont want to damage your new bike.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the stealth intake, I have watched a bunch of videos and did not see what they are doing with the breather after the install, they must be putting it right back where it was.

Thanks for the DK custom link, I'll read up on that.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have the S&S Stealth AC that allows use of stck cover if you choose. It comes with two replacement breather bolts that are the pass through type they do not use the tube the vent hole is in the bolt it's self. The bolts you see in this video are the breather bolts they have a hole in th side of the bolt tubes are not used.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, yep, this one I have did not come with those bolts, so I'll just reinstall the factory breather bolts.
Thanks for the link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts