Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the valve assy to clean it all up and changed out the shraeder valves and seal the fittings. Do they use different style valves with a shorter stem? I replaced with regular shraeder valve and when I put the pump on, ill pump the front and rear to 20 to see if it holds, the rear still leaks down slowly according to pump guage and the front will hold at 20 when I unscrew the pump fitting off, it seems that while unscrewing it, the air evacuates the lines and the small digital guage I have shows 0 psi. Is this happening to anyone else or is something up with the valve with inner stem being too long or what the deal is?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Have seen both longer and the shorter shraeder valves, either will, as long as it screws in and seats flush seem to work, There are BAD ones' statistically, usually the little seal on the pointy end or metal not shaved straight, course everybody wants to spit all over the stem.....thinkin that comes from our granddads or uncles...as that's all they had was spit&sweat.

Found a bad one in a new 90 a few mo.s back....the cap will slow it down

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rear leaks, I can find figure that out sometime. the front doesn't, it holds the psi, just seems like when unscrewing the pump, that's when it all leaks out. as im unscrewing it, it seems right in the middle as the fitting is coming undone and the shraeder valve is closing that It all leaks at the right time. I wonder if a different pump fitting would work better that can detach faster keeping the air in. valves have been changed a couple times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't not swap them. I put 2 sets of new valves in already, same ones from automotive wheel stems. I have a small digital guage that will read really low pressure. I pump either side up and they'll hold. as soon as I start disconnecting the pump as fast as I can, I see the air drop down on the pump guage and when I check with the digital quick, it shows nothing. front always held air so not sure if im loosing it while disconnecting the pump but it seems like it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
its been cold in the garage but I decided to play with it a little after work. would anyone have a quick measurement off their bike handy? the rear still leaks down when I do this but im wondering. ive never added air to system since I got it being that it was just recently and before winter. The rear had no air or not enough to notice but the front did so i drained it and took the valve/fitting/tube lock assy off and I wanted to clean the fittings, put new shraeders in and area around it (never had stem covers on from PO) and since its all wide and extended fender cover, gets a lot of krud up in there so took it to work.

now I figure this is suppose to be a zero loss pump and hooking the pump up when theres air in the system, the gage should read whats in the shocks/lines right off the bat, right?! I could hook up the pump and within one pump, im up to 20 psi right away if I remember right.....that don't seem right, thought it was a few psi per pump to fill the system. assembling the fittings back to how they were through the 1/8in plate and the jam nuts in front, it doesn't seem like the pump is able to thread all the way opening the valves, it bottoms out on the jam nuts leading me to believe that the 20 psi is just in the pump itself.
Am I right in thinking this?! would anyone have a quick measurement on how far out the threaded valve housing sticks out past the jam nut??? the threaded body is about 7/16". the mounting plate is 1/8" the jam nut is 1/8" so im only left with roughly 3/16" to attach the pump, doesn't seem like enough No way to really change this besides getting a thinner plate and mounting it on the original plate. what do you think?>

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
your pump aint locking all the way on to depress the valve, by the interpertation, the air on our 03 does the same. Feel the resistance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just fabbed up a different plate that was a 1/16" thick and put it together, seems to work good. it wasn't opening the valve. not sure how it worked before with the thick original mount but ill have to change that in spring, need the air ride since PO has front and rear lowered. I got to find what the different psi are for different weights but just pumped 13 and 10 in to see if it holds. Thanks never had to deal with air ride before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts