Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious to hear from people that have done this install. The instructions on where/how to run/connect the wire after you've managed to slide the wires through the supplied shielding is not clear to me. (and in fact I wasn't able to completely get the wires through the shielding despite fighting with it for 30 minutes, so I split it down the center for the last 6 inches figuring I'd just wrap it in electrical tape. Not my proudest moment)

I managed to get the pins on to the wires, (although that doesnt look great either), and the pins into the connector, but after I removed the liner, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to connect it inside the tour pak, the instructions arent terribly clear on this. And even if it connects inside the tour pak, there's a metal base under which are what looks like wiring that it might connect to. No mention of said metal base in the instructions.

So at this point, I'm stumped. The rack is on the tour pak, the light is on the rack, the wires from the light have been threaded through the hollow bolt, and the now shielded wire is sitting in my tour pak, and I'm not sure how to finish this up. I really do not want to slink into the dealership to get this finished. Any guidance appreciated.

I admit that after reading this, you may justifiably think to yourself "this person should never touch an engine", and I would wholeheartedly agree.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you would give me the part number for the light kit, I will look it up and read the directions to refresh my memory. Then I can give you a better answer.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Looks pretty straight forward. Here is a video from Custom Dynamics.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The one thing I can tell you is the shielding that comes in the package you're supposed to put it on after you have it in the tourpak. One tip and it maybe too late is you should cut yourself a piece of that shielding so the wires that are underneath the airwing rack aren't exposed and easily noticeable. I am not happy that I have to take mine apart to do so because the wonderful harley instructions make no mention of such, but it warrants it since you'll see the wires exposed and it looks like ass.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I definitely put the shielding on after I ran the wires into the tour pak. Would not be possible otherwise.

Regarding the wires from the light into the hole in the rack, I made sure they were pretty snug, you can't see them at all

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ok, I just looked at the instructions and (I'm going from memory and just woke up) there should be a 4 wire plug (on the right side as you sit on the bike) right in front of your tour pack with the CB antenna wire, radio antenna wire and the 16 pin audio plug. The Y harness will go to that plug and then the wires from the airwing light should go to the Y.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, I just looked at the instructions and (I'm going from memory and just woke up) there should be a 4 wire plug (on the right side as you sit on the bike) right in front of your tour pack with the CB antenna wire, radio antenna wire and the 16 pin audio plug. The Y harness will go to that plug and then the wires from the airwing light should go to the Y.
Inside the tour pak? I'll have to look again, but like I said, there's a metal base plate covering most of the bottom of the tour pak

edit - never mind, outside the tour pak. I'll have to remove the pins from the connector to run it through the hole in the tour pak. I presume thats why there's a rubber grommet that came with the kit, it must provide a wider hole to get the wire through.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yes there's a harness that goes outside of the tourpak and routes to the inside of the tourpak, then you put pins into plug, rubber grommet into hole, arrange wires as best as possible within grooves of pak and below plate so the tourpak liner will sit nice and flush as it did before. Rest of plugs if you're using Custom Dynamics modules as I did in my CVORGU went outside for the most part but all the wires went inside and were a bit of a pain in the ass. Lots of slack in some wires for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes there's a harness that goes outside of the tourpak and routes to the inside of the tourpak, then you put pins into plug, rubber grommet into hole, arrange wires as best as possible within grooves of pak and below plate so the tourpak liner will sit nice and flush as it did before. Rest of plugs if you're using Custom Dynamics modules as I did in my CVORGU went outside for the most part but all the wires went inside and were a bit of a pain in the ass. Lots of slack in some wires for whatever reason.
OK, so you're saying rather than run the light wire out of the tour pak, run the required connection, which is now outside, in to the tour pak?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that anyone cares, but I have an update here. Finished it up. Some observations
  • The wire coming in from the rack looks like it can get pinched over time between the lower lid and the tour pak tray. Might have to do a bit of surgery on the tray.
  • Getting the grommet where the wires come into the tour pak back on is a b1tch. I finally managed to get it back in with a small plastic pry, but that thing is tight
  • The connectors between the back of the seat and the tour pak take up a lot of space. Pretty cramped back there. The little leather flap attached to the tour pak doesnt hang down straight. Still fits behind the seat so no big deal.
  • The light itself is not very bright. It is definitely dual intensity, but not terribly bright generally.
  • I have Custom Dynamics Fillerz and their brake flasher. The Fillerz and the fender brake lights flash, but the rack light doesn't. I can only conclude that the tour pak lighting is wired in before the flasher, but will check Custom Dyanmics to verify.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Pixs???

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just going by memory . . . . seems like on my 13 RGU that the dealer installed the Air wing light for me, there was a small retaining clip or two to keep the wires from moving or getting caught on anything. Maybe not, my memory isn't too great anymore, but I don't remember loose wires.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
. . . probably this adhesive type clip from instructions (#11)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Just going by memory . . . . seems like on my 13 RGU that the dealer installed the Air wing light for me, there was a small retaining clip or two to keep the wires from moving or getting caught on anything. Maybe not, my memory isn't too great anymore, but I don't remember loose wires.
There are 2-3 clips that come in the package when you buy the light maybe even 4. 2 go on the lid and 2 go the lower portion of the pak. If you don't use adhesion promoter they tend to fall off.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I used those clips under the TP liner to prevent it from moving around. I can buy some additional/similar clips at the hardware store to put on the lid and inside the body of the TP to prevent it from moving around.

Really the question was just to make sure that its going into the TP in the right way.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Looks good to me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If the liner is pinching the wire too much, cut a small notch into it. I have had to cut my liner a little for the Ultra Brace, no biggie.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts