Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just wanted to put this out there that I'm riding to Alaska in 2018. If anyone would like to join me that would be great. I'm not a tech type person but I was able to make this Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/AAC2018/
Where are you located? I don't do face book, I may be interested.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This sounds like an awesome adventure! Wish I could go.

I noticed you have a Rick-Rak mount... I just returned mine after trying it out during a ride with a GoPro. The vibration and bounce in the video was just too much to watch for any length of time. I've had a GoPro mounted on the engine guards and that was much better than the Rick-Rak. I've ordered the Dog-Collar mount as it has very good reviews and hopefully that will work better.

I only mention this because for a trip like yours, I would hate for your videos to be almost unwatchable due to heavy bounce and vibration that will result with the Rick-Rak - not to knock them, it's a great idea and POV, but unfortunately, I think because it's attached to the fairing, it just vibrates way too much. Of course, having the GoPro mounted on your helmet would make the smoothest video, but it's tiring (due to wind) and not very practical.

Congrats on making your trip, and I am very sorry about your nephew.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Where are you located? I don't do face book, I may be interested.
From the FB page it showed OK. Looks like he is going up through Wyoming/Montana/ then up to Canada. Looks like a great journey, not sure if I am ready for it though..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info I was going to test the mount this weekend. when I was installing it I had a feeling it was going to vibrate. Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bleachey, there is a guy on here " Shrug" that has made the trip and a good video. I'm not sure what the cost will be but I'm saving $5000.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
https://vimeo.com/34558767

Here is a link to Shrug's video and blog. Check it out.

Lots (understatement) of planning went into this trip.

Calgaryglide

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
Shrug put a lot of time and thought into his trip and documented it with the video and a very well done blog .. I still watch his video from time to time , excellent job in editing it .. I did it in 79 when the ALCAN was a real adventure ..

I will return ..

Scott , Bill did it several times and it cost him about 3000 each trip , last was a couple years ago .. But he did it on the cheep . He was up the same time as Shrug , and seems Shrug spent about 3000 also . If you camp a lot , the cost can plummet tremendously ..

CG were you the one Shrug stopped to see ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
This trip is def on my list. Either before or after the lower 48 four corners ride... Good luck brother and please document for us all to learn from.

Update: A buddy and I are planning this trip for Jul-Aug 2018. I'll be prepping the bike this winter! I'm getting excited just thinking about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts