Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my KST Double Troubles (12") 95 percent on before i hit a stoping point. Got too excited for tbe new bars and completly spaced on the fact that the stock harley grip is glued on and damn near impossible to remove. Good news is dealer has some avon grips in stock just gotta grab them tomorrow when they open.
As advertised stock wiring all fits perfectly. Clutch and brake cable are tight as hell though. In fact brake cable really limits how far i can adjust the position of the housing before it hits the bar itself. And had to depin the housings and the clamp on the tree, but no big deal.
I still have alot of adjustments and shit to do, just waiting till i get the grips and can get things more settled so i can set it up for me.
(Before you ask i left the foam on most of the bars until final to risk my clumsy ass scratching it all up)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i did cut the zip ties, and rerouted the brake cable a bit to get it a little more slack. Didnt touch the clutch yet till i get everything mocked up. Also saving final torques till i get everything on and sit on it a bit, swing it back and forth, make sure it fits me you know.
Only sad thing is now i gotta drive to work tomorrow in a cage

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey MJ, I recently did two sets of JSR 14" bars on a couple of 2018 Road Glides. If you find yourself needing some more hydraulic line slack, free the brake and clutch lines from the plastic/rubber keeper found on the right hand side upper frame rail (it's between the tank and the fairing). Toss the keeper, pull some extra slack and then zip tie all three lines to the wire loom that goes to the front fairing. See item #11 on attached thumbnail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Got my KST Double Troubles (12") 95 percent on before i hit a stoping point. Got too excited for tbe new bars and completly spaced on the fact that the stock harley grip is glued on and damn near impossible to remove. Good news is dealer has some avon grips in stock just gotta grab them tomorrow when they open.
As advertised stock wiring all fits perfectly. Clutch and brake cable are tight as hell though. In fact brake cable really limits how far i can adjust the position of the housing before it hits the bar itself. And had to depin the housings and the clamp on the tree, but no big deal.
I still have alot of adjustments and shit to do, just waiting till i get the grips and can get things more settled so i can set it up for me.
(Before you ask i left the foam on most of the bars until final to risk my clumsy ass scratching it all up)
Cool looking bars and good for you for doing it yourself. Maybe see you over at the outpost on a sunday. After it cools down some!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I like the bars man! Nice job and personally I keep the foam on all the bars I do until the mock up and install is pretty much done. You never know when that will save your ass. Check out the HD Magnum grips if you are not happy with the Avons, they are similar in style to most Avons and the fit and feel is perfect. My .02 of course. Enjoy the newly refined ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got almost done and disaster struck, installing the left grip of all things. I scuffed up the metal, applied tbe glue and slipped the grip on fully seated. Then loosely put on the control box, then tried to attach the clutch controls and didnt have enough room on the controls portion of the bar (the bar itself upsizes right after the controls). Tried to slide the grip down 1/3 of an inch that i needed before the glue fully set. Glue broke free and pulled the lcontrols with it damagine the small ribbon wireharnes inside. Slide tbe grip on again but still got it just too far, but now the glue is set. So i have a damaged harness and need a new left hand control box, and the left grip is glued on too high not allowing everything else to fit properly. Imma call it a night before i break anything else. Maybe tomorrow i can get some acetone or somthing to eat away the glue, cause right now i cant get the grip off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitly have to get a new switch assembly, but for now it will start as long as i am in neutral, and i cant cycle through my odo modes but i think its rideable. Gonna test ride her tomorrow. Here are the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well got almost done and disaster struck, installing the left grip of all things. I scuffed up the metal, applied tbe glue and slipped the grip on fully seated. Then loosely put on the control box, then tried to attach the clutch controls and didnt have enough room on the controls portion of the bar (the bar itself upsizes right after the controls). Tried to slide the grip down 1/3 of an inch that i needed before the glue fully set. Glue broke free and pulled the lcontrols with it damagine the small ribbon wireharnes inside. Slide tbe grip on again but still got it just too far, but now the glue is set. So i have a damaged harness and need a new left hand control box, and the left grip is glued on too high not allowing everything else to fit properly. Imma call it a night before i break anything else. Maybe tomorrow i can get some acetone or somthing to eat away the glue, cause right now i cant get the grip off

AVON are a Glueless Design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Well got almost done and disaster struck, installing the left grip of all things. I scuffed up the metal, applied tbe glue and slipped the grip on fully seated.......
Brother, it's a learning experience for sure and now you know. Sometimes we break stuff learning how to do the job right. I know it sucks, but your bars look great and you did it yourself!

I'm just going to add a couple of suggestions for others that might be attempting this in the future (specifically for the left hand side).

1. Mock up the grip placement, switch housing and control clamps before doing anything permanent.

2. Very seldom will an aftermarket left grip seat "fully home" and allow for correct placement of the switch housing and control clamps.

3. Once you have everything mocked up, remove the switch housing and control clamp and use a Sharpie to mark how far up the bar the grip needs to be.

4. Like many others, I don't use glue to re-attach the left grip. If it's not a glue-free design, I use hair spray as my adhesive (an old school trick). Once the hair spray sets, it's tacky enough to hold the grip in most any condition, but not so permanent that you can't get the grip off.

The bar installations I mentioned in an earlier post.............. I was cussing the dealership on those. The owners had the dealer install Kury ISO grips on the factory bars before they took delivery. Of course the owners wanted to salvage their new ISO grips, so we had to remove them. The dealership used so much dang glue on the left grips, that the glue squeezed out and actually glued the grip to the switch housing. Even after getting the grips cut/ripped free from the switch housing, we like to have never got the left hand ones off the bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are pics of the final setup. Not too passionate about the avon grips, that 'air cushion' is like gripping on rocks. But it will do for now. Had them more fwd in the begining but had to stretch too far to reach the bars (i have short arms) so rocked them back to be a bit more comfortable. Now onto the next project...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts