Engine oil - Amsoil
Primary oil - Amsoil
Transmission oil - Amsoil

Now... Im wanting suggestion on anything better for:

Primary oil -
Transmission -
vs
Amsoil in these 2 and why?

I plan to use Amsoil in engine permanently.

Also what other parts would one need and part numbers for them as in rubber washer replacements ect when doing oil changes in all 3 holes for 2018 RGS?

Also any filter oil ect better than the K&N?

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
I don't get overly excited about oil brands anymore . Or filters .. Right now I have some Harley syn3 in the shop waiting to be dumped in . I have used Redline and Valvoline the most in this bike . Most Amsoil users are convinced it is best and everything else is junk . I use K&N filters or Mobil 1 M102 or the Harley filters ..

I change the engine and primary every oil change and the trans every other oil change .. Biggest thing is to change the oil at regular intervals ..

I have plenty of oil analysis to show that the brands I typically use are good oils ..

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I personally go with oil that I can get at the local auto parts store. I used Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and right now I use Castrol 20w50 V-Twin oil. I use 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the tranny either Mobil 1 or Valvoline. I use HD trans/primary oil in the primary. Over 100,000 mile on the bike with these oils so that speaks for itself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Dyna has 58k miles and I always used syn3 on everything. Never had any issue so far, debris on magnetic plugs always within limit, no smoke on anything.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Never understood motor oil in a gear case???
Super super common with lots of bikes. Ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. All of my previous bikes (not Harley) had one oil change hole and one filter. 1 one un uno ein. Numero uno...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also what other parts would one need and part numbers for them as in rubber washer replacements ect when doing oil changes in all 3 holes for 2018 RGS?

Here is the Oem oil change gasket kit part # (3 "O" rings and Primary cover seal) it's cheap:

17369-06 GASKET SERVICE KIT 1000 MI (1600 KM), 5000 MI (8000 KM), 10,000 MI (16,000 KM), WITH 11105 AND CLUTCH COVER SEAL $5.23

Your schedule looks fine and Amsoil is a very good choice. I prefer the Oem oil filters because.... I don't know why.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a buddy that gets me Amsoil for his cost about $8.50 a quart. I am happy with it. Use their v-twin, primary and trans oil. I always change all three at the same time. I am thinking I will start to skip the primary and trans each time. When I drained them they looked as new as the stuff I was adding.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Personally, I’ve used redline since ‘07. Engine and primary every 3-5k, depending on season, and trans every other. I tried Amsoil once, because I was feeling cheap, ran it for 1500 miles and couldn’t stand how much louder it made the top end. Dumped it when I got home and went back to redline. Never has any indication of issues; on my ‘05 FXST I checked the original cam shoes at 20k and 40k, still less than 1/6” of wear when I traded it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Engine oil - 5k
Primary oil - 10K
Transmission oil - 20K

Which oil is everyone using in each.

Im using

Engine oil - Amsoil
Primary oil - Amsoil

Primary oil -
Transmission -
vs

I’m sure whatever you decide to stick in your 3 holes will be fine. >:)

My only recommendation is, from a Mechanic’s view, that you don’t wait 10K miles to crack open your primary or 20K for your transmission. It’s only $20, give or take, for the good stuff to change the two AND it gives you an idea of the condition of the two. If you were having an issue you might very well see it in the oil and be able to catch a failure before it leaves you stranded somewhere or costs a hell of a lot more. Just some friendly advice of course. Take it for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My 2017 owners manual say...
engine oil 5000
primary 10,000
trans. 20,000
Says to use synthetic oil in trans. or Formula trans. and primary lubricant. I think all CVO bikes come with synthetic oil in the Trans. as well as the other holes. Harley must think oil is suitable for a trans...Just saying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mobile1 20w50 in the engine because you can find it everywhere so oil changes on trips are always easy to source and redline in tranny and primary. PC racing FLO oil filter.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
<snip>. Most Amsoil users are convinced it is best and everything else is junk .<snip>
Really, never noticed.......baaaahahahaha NEVER has so much truth been said in so few words

Biggest thing is to change the oil at regular intervals ..
FACT

·
Registered
811 Posts
Engine oil - 5k
Primary oil - 10K
Transmission oil - 20K

Which oil is everyone using in each.

Im using

Engine oil - Amsoil
Primary oil - Amsoil

Primary oil -
Transmission -
vs

Primary - AMSOIL Primary Fluid MVP
Trans - AMSOIL V-Twin Transmission Fluid MVT
OiL Filter - AMSOIL EaOM134 or EaOM134C

Been running AMSOIL Products in everything for almost 40 years, and no one else has yet made better products; PERFORMANCE is why I keep using AMSOIL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Will have to do my 1k Service soon,Will use [email protected] Oil filter Nut on the end for easy changing,Mobil 1 20/50 V-Twin,An Harley Trans an Primary in the Trans an Primary.Got the Oil Filter on EBay $11,The Trans Primary oil is $9 at the Dealer An Mobil 1 is $10 at Advance Auto,An Gasket an O-Rings $6,So about $85,Lot cheaper than dealer.Everyone has their Preferences But I like this.Got 800 miles Weather is supposed to get better here next week so hopefully can wrap off 200 miles quick on my new Ride!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Lot of people have followed HD book to the letter and rode many miles problem free. Some came up with all kinds of better ways and had a lot of issues. Your ride you decide.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts