Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK about six months ago on a post about bleeding ABS brakes, it was said that you still need to flush the ABS control module. Standard brake bleeding methods do not change the fluid in the control module itself, hence, the HD recall notice. Part of the recall was a free fluid change and flushing the control module for ABS bikes from 08 to 2011. HD recommends the ABS control module is flushed every two years.

One of our members replying to the post added a link to an App (see below) for Android phones and tablets which would operate the ABS control module to flush out the old brake fluid. On a whim, I contacted the web site and subsequently bought the ABS flush utility for $178.00 plus postage. I used it yesterday when doing my annual brake fluid change and it works really well, just as stated on the web site. When I had my bike in Texas I was quoted $680.00 for a brake fluid change and module flush. If anyone is interested click the link below and check it out for yourself. For me its already paid for itself; as having HD dealership to do it involves a 700-mile round trip plus all the normal HD charges.

ITM HD1 ABS Flush Utility (J1850 equipped/4 pin bikes) ? Information Technology Mercenaries LLC

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
OK about six months ago on a post about bleeding ABS brakes, it was said that you still need to flush the ABS control module. Standard brake bleeding methods do not change the fluid in the control module itself, hence, the HD recall notice. Part of the recall was a free fluid change and flushing the control module for ABS bikes from 08 to 2011. HD recommends the ABS control module is flushed every two years.

One of our members replying to the post added a link to an App (see below) for Android phones and tablets which would operate the ABS control module to flush out the old brake fluid. On a whim, I contacted the web site and subsequently bought the ABS flush utility for $178.00 plus postage. I used it yesterday when doing my annual brake fluid change and it works really well, just as stated on the web site. When I had my bike in Texas I was quoted $680.00 for a brake fluid change and module flush. If anyone is interested click the link below and check it out for yourself. For me its already paid for itself; as having HD dealership to do it involves a 700-mile round trip plus all the normal HD charges.

ITM HD1 ABS Flush Utility (J1850 equipped/4 pin bikes) ? Information Technology Mercenaries LLC
Good info and thanks for the review of it.

Here's the link for the Canbus bikes

ITM HD2 ABS Flush Utility (CAN bus equipped/6 pin bikes) ? Information Technology Mercenaries LLC

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
When I had my bike in Texas I was quoted $680.00 for a brake fluid change and module flush.
Insanity! I paid less than $175 to have both brakes and the clutch fluid changed on my '16 back in the spring of '18.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's sadly comical how many of the ABS flush threads miss this particular nuance to the question 'Do I really have to go to the dealer to flush my breaks?' Because what people are really asking is, is it really necessary to get boned in the ass for X hundred dollars every fucking time I need/should get my brakes flushed???

And with this widget, the answer to that question - the one they are really asking - is quite happily ... hell no.

Funny how that works, ain't it? I've already got one of these on my shopping list.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting, and they are selling both 4 than 6 pins connector version.
Considering also that some DT alternatives are available on the market (I.e. Diag4bike), HD should consider to make factory made tools like this available to public, at least for usage after the warranty period.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Appreciate you sharing your results using this tool. Great to hear the good results! I've had one sitting at home waiting to get used.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much Phantom! Been waiting for a review. Looks like it pays for itself with a single use!
Yep, it does. I still spent $300.00 dollars for fuel, hotels, taxis, etc.. when I had the recall done last year in Sofia.

·
Registered
518 Posts
There is a difference between brake system flush and bleed procedures.

Flush - replacing the old fluid with new. No air introduced into the system. You do not need the fancy HD tool/software/App, whatever, to do this, even on an ABS Rushmore.

Bleed - system components are disconnected allowing air into the system or air is accidently introduced into the system. Yes, you need the fancy HD tool, or software/App to do this correctly.

All of this is in the Shop Service Manual.

A routine brake and clutch fluid flush costs me $4 on my 2017 ABS equipped RGS.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Flush - replacing the old fluid with new. No air introduced into the system. You do not need the fancy HD tool/software/App, whatever, to do this, even on an ABS Rushmore.

Bleed - system components are disconnected allowing air into the system or air is accidently introduced into the system. Yes, you need the fancy HD tool, or software/App to do this correctly.

It is very true the manual say so, the problem is that it seems the HD abs module valves close when you shut down the bike, trapping the oil within, while any other module on the automotive market open the valves instead.
The result is that, if ABS does not activate through the time, the same oil can sit within the module a long enough to become old and stuck the valves resulting in the infamous “frozen brake”
An ABS module cost big money, I would consider an ABS bleed run as an insurance policy and the price tag for this tool does not seems exaggerate after all

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Yes that is the difference in terminology and thank you for clarifying. We all know what people are talking about here. For a routine maintenance flush you most certainly do need the fancy HD tool/software/App, whatever, to do this. Thermodyne has explained this numerous times on various threads so do a search and read his thorough explination. By just doing a simple flush you do not get fluid out of the ABS module at all and riding the bike and activating the ABS does not move fluid through it. So in short, to properly flush the system you do need to have the ABS module electronically activated and then do another flush to get rid of the fluid that was in the module.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

A routine brake and clutch fluid flush costs me $4 on my 2017 ABS-equipped RGS.
Maybe some confusion with terminology but I’ve always used the term “Bleeding the brakes” whenever I’ve changed the fluid within a brake system.

As to the cost of “Flushing/Bleeding ABS systems from HD; all I know is it requires the HD tech to be connected to your bike. For some reason only known to Harley, they want or wanted to charge large sums of money to do this. They may have reduced their pricing due to customer reactions the same as mine “You have got to be ****ing joking”!!!! as well as any legal liability attached to their recall notice for bikes fitted with ABS brakes.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
When I had my bike in Texas I was quoted $680.00 for a brake fluid change and module flush.
Every dealer is somewhat different so it's hard to say what they may be doing in that quote but it sounds like a full service with Syn3 and the brake fluid flush together. Not just a brake fluid flush/bleed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The IT Mercenary device comes with a tablet loaded with the app for $179

“Contents:

Tablet device with configured HD2 app.

Interface device and cable

Detailed instructions”

Can you help the rest of us illiterate folks and post a link to where we could potentially purchase this "IT Mercenary" device? I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Can you help the rest of us illiterate folks and post a link to where we could potentially purchase this "IT Mercenary" device? I couldn't find it.
There's a link if the first post for the pre rushmore bikes, there's a link in the second post for the rushmore models.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts