Road Glide banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes that is the difference in terminology and thank you for clarifying. We all know what people are talking about here. For a routine maintenance flush you most certainly do need the fancy HD tool/software/App, whatever, to do this. Thermodyne has explained this numerous times on various threads so do a search and read his thorough explination. By just doing a simple flush you do not get fluid out of the ABS module at all and riding the bike and activating the ABS does not move fluid through it. So in short, to properly flush the system you do need to have the ABS module electronically activated and then do another flush to get rid of the fluid that was in the module.
Read the shop manual.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have. Not trying to get in a pissing contest here but you cannot get fluid through the ABS module without some kind of device and that is what this thread is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on what he said.

On the original ABS thread, someone put the hydraulic diagram for the ABS module. If you can read electrical or hydraulic diagrams you can understand why the ABS controller module must be pulsed to cycle out the old brake fluid and let new fluid in. Bleeding the brakes as per non-ABS systems only changes the brake fluid in the lines, calibers and master cylinders.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I ordered the 6-pin version last night, we can have a fluid flushing party here one weekend for the local guys. Payment will be beer, pizza, and cigars :grin:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
The IT Mercenary device comes with a tablet loaded with the app for $179

“Contents:

Tablet device with configured HD2 app.

Interface device and cable

Detailed instructions”
Bringing up an older subject again.

So you are saying that there is no loading of an app or such? The whole procedure/app is on a device that comes with it? Plug and play type?

Just checking for us old behind the times computer illiterate members.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
yes, everything you need is pre-loaded on the tablet.

Thanks skratch,
I have read this but just wanted to make sure. Seems to be a necessary tool
at not too bad of a price. Thanks for the clarification.
Brad

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks skratch,
I have read this but just wanted to make sure. Seems to be a necessary tool
at not too bad of a price. Thanks for the clarification.
Brad
You'll find it really easy to use this app on the tablet, just make sure your battery is fully charged. It does draw quite a lot from the battery during the flushing procedure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You'll find it really easy to use this app on the tablet, just make sure your battery is fully charged. It does draw quite a lot from the battery during the flushing procedure.
Just did my flush with the IDM HD1 unit. Easy to use and worked great. Worth every penny in my book. Brake fluid coming out looked like a cup of coffee without the grounds. And that was only one year! Florida humid air will do that. The procedure does suck lots of juice from the battery, so start fully charged and keep the charger on it while flushing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great info. Thanks all for updates. I am gonna get one of these. I am over paying $Aust500 a time ($US350) per 5000 mile service, and will only do that until 2yr warranty expires. Then it's back to the tools as per my Shovelhead. The ABS brake flush was the only thing that had me concerned.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts