Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode home today parked the bike took the dog for a 30 min walk passing the bike I see oil on the front head on the right side
Am I leaking oil or is this oils mist from the head breathers.
Also checked oil level , when i opened the oil cap noticed air escaping is this normal.
Took some cell phone pics

tia
masque

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What air cleaner do you have? I'd say it's coming out of the A/C and I bet you like to run that bike fast judging from those pics.

Drew

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Did you recently grease the steering head bearing? Excess often leaks out and melts in the heat, sprays back.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 12 never had any mist coming out of the air cleaner untill my last service,my fault put to much oil in,took a little out been dry ever since,looks like breather blow by.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just recently started seeing this and the oil change was months ago.

Is there anyway to check that it's definitely coming if the ac or the head breathers?

Also where are the head breathers located.

It's my first Harley trying to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.
Thanks
Masque

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok bike has been Parked for about 1 1/2 days due to rain. Just pulled off the football and there's no oil in it. Would it be better to check it after a ride.
Just want to be sure it's nothing serious
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
After looking at the pic again it looks like the upper rocker box cover gasket is leaking as you can see it is darker in a few places. Pretty easy to fix. 6 bolts and a new gasket.

Drew

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After looking at the pic again it looks like the upper rocker box cover gasket is leaking as you can see it is darker in a few places. Pretty easy to fix. 6 bolts and a new gasket.

Drew
thanks Fireball and HogPro just detailed the bike next ride ill investigate
the seal. kinda upsetting that that would be the issue on a 2013 bike. if it the bike should be under warranty so ill get the dealer to fix it

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it that simple of a job. Remove the gas tank six bolts pop off the rocker box replace the gasket then pop the rocker box back on tank back on and I'm back riding?

·
Registered
613 Posts
yes it is, but as you said your bike is still under warranty and I would have them do it for you. Not sure why they are having this problem but from what my service guys have told me, they see this pretty often. Once they replaced mine I never had a problem again on either of my bikes and put 50,000 miles on my 2011.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If it were me, I would call and make an appointment for a time where you can wait on the repair. You can ride the bike until they can fit you in. They can do it pretty quick so the wait shouldnt be too long for you if they are prompt on taking you in at the your scheduled appointment time. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts