Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my American Elites from Dennis Kirk's, My price was $309 shipped plus Dunlop has a rebate till May for $50 on a set of American Elites!

I have only bought new motorcycle tires once in past (always got a new bike before it needed them) and have never ordered tires from the internet before and when they arrived yesterday I noticed some lines from the tire mould on the back tire but not on the front. Is this normal? I figure they will wear off easily but thought I would ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Did Dennis Kirk send you the gift card as Dunlop's web site states you have to purchase exclusively at a HD Dealerships, "The H-D/Dunlop rebate offer applies to consumer purchases made exclusively at a participating Harley-Davidson dealership."

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did Dennis Kirk send you the gift card as Dunlop's web site states you have to purchase exclusively at a HD Dealerships, "The H-D/Dunlop rebate offer applies to consumer purchases made exclusively at a participating Harley-Davidson dealership."
This is a direct quote from the Dunlop tire web site.
An on-line purchase is included.
"The 2015 spring rebate offer applies to consumer purchases made through dealership or online between March 1 and April 30, 2015. The rebate form must be postmarked by May 15, 2015."

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have found an Indy near my house to R&R tire off bike for $12 plus $2 has fee. I feel so guilty paying so little I give him a $20

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will you be mounting the new tires yourself, taking them to an independent shop or to your Harley dealer for mounting? Just curious as I was going to order a set myself and wondered what others do to get them mounted correctly, but reasonably.
I am having a local indy shop do it. I asked my HD dealer what they charge and h they said they won't mount in unless it was bought from them.

The indy charging $160 to install both tires and balance them. Still way cheaper than the dealer that quoted me $721 for two new tires installed.

·
Registered
2021 Roadglide CVO
29 Posts
1) I have a '13 RG ultra with almost 15000mi on the original Dunlop 407 and 408's that I'm looking to replace. I'm pissed at the dealerships ridiculous prices, both to purchase the tires, and again for mounting them! I've been happy with the original tires but since you can't buy them except at a dealership, I'm wondering how the Dunlop American Elites, or any other simular tires, compared. I ride year around in the Pacific Northwest. Frequiently two-up and heavy.

2) Do you normally replace the wheel bearings with a tire replacement or just inspect them? How do you inspect them? I have a faint, intermittant whine that I can't track down and I'm worried that it might be a wheel bearing.

Thank you.

Tom

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
1) I have a '13 RG ultra with almost 15000mi on the original Dunlop 407 and 408's that I'm looking to replace. I'm pissed at the dealerships ridiculous prices, both to purchase the tires, and again for mounting them! I've been happy with the original tires but since you can't buy them except at a dealership, I'm wondering how the Dunlop American Elites, or any other simular tires, compared. I ride year around in the Pacific Northwest. Frequiently two-up and heavy.

2) Do you normally replace the wheel bearings with a tire replacement or just inspect them? How do you inspect them? I have a faint, intermittant whine that I can't track down and I'm worried that it might be a wheel bearing.

Thank you.

Tom
The American Elite 2nd generation tires are a great choice. They are dual compound tires also, so you will get a lot of miles out of them. Have an Indy change them for you and use Ride-On tire sealer/balancer or Dyno beeds for balancing the tires.
Sealed bearing are either good or bad. They should last a long time but don't. Evey tire change , I replace the bearings . You don't have to if they're good , but I do anyways.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Thank you.

Tom
I have had the American Elites now for about 13,000ish (can't remember exactly when I got them) miles and they're not even close to worn out. I had an indy replace mine. Harley dealer wanted 260.00 more for the EXACT same tires. I haven't replaced my wheel bearings yet. Most likely going to do the chrome exchange through Willy Shiny and trying to hold out until then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.