Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished my amp install last night around 10pm. Adjusted my amp gains and was listening when I heard one of my neighbors from across the street screaming something or another at me like a Banshee.

2 things:
1. I guess it's loud (no, it wasn't that loud)
2. I didn't know I lived in the freeking ghetto

Scoots

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put everything back together after setting the amp gains in the garage where I work so no one would complain. Very happy with my install and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Everything is plug & play so I can revert back to stock at any time.

NVX MVPA4 amp (bridged for 2 channels)
1 pair Polk DB651s

I'm using Cycle Sounds "Magic Box" and I had my HU flashed by HD. HD tech at the dealership where I first went told me I had to set everything back to stock in order for him to do the flash. That didn't sound like anything I'd read in any of the HD forums. So, I called another dealership 30 miles away. They said they never heard of what the other tech was saying and that they'd do it, no problem. The tech there was willing to listen to me and I told him which flash I needed for my set-up. He did the flash and off I rode. He missed doing one step, though. After the HU is flashed it's loaded with a set of BIN files. (these BIN files are posted in another forum). These files tell the HU what your particular set-up is. As this step was omitted I accessed the DTC screen (push ON/OFF button while turning on the ignition). Then go to EQ and select the correct BIN file for your bike set-up, eg, 4 speakers, 2 speakers, etc. After selecting the correct BIN file the screen will tell you which BIN file is currently installed and ask you if you want to load the new file. YES.

So it's all done and I'm happy. I took a chance with that tiny amp but it fits great and sounds great.

Scoots

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just put everything back together after setting the amp gains in the garage where I work so no one would complain. Very happy with my install and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Everything is plug & play so I can revert back to stock at any time.

NVX MVPA4 amp (bridged for 2 channels)
1 pair Polk DB651s

I'm using Cycle Sounds "Magic Box" and I had my HU flashed by HD. HD tech at the dealership where I first went told me I had to set everything back to stock in order for him to do the flash. That didn't sound like anything I'd read in any of the HD forums. So, I called another dealership 30 miles away. They said they never heard of what the other tech was saying and that they'd do it, no problem. The tech there was willing to listen to me and I told him which flash I needed for my set-up. He did the flash and off I rode. He missed doing one step, though. After the HU is flashed it's loaded with a set of BIN files. (these BIN files are posted in another forum). These files tell the HU what your particular set-up is. As this step was omitted I accessed the DTC screen (push ON/OFF button while turning on the ignition). Then go to EQ and select the correct BIN file for your bike set-up, eg, 4 speakers, 2 speakers, etc. After selecting the correct BIN file the screen will tell you which BIN file is currently installed and ask you if you want to load the new file. YES.

So it's all done and I'm happy. I took a chance with that tiny amp but it fits great and sounds great.

Scoots
Glad it sounds good! I thought that if you use the Majic Box you wouldn't have to get the dealer to flash the head unit. I didn't have to on mine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably didn't have to have the flash done. After reviewing all the information including the advisory from Rockford Fosgate I'm not 100% certain the flash was done correctly. (They actually posted a screen shot of the correct settings.) And finally I'm not sure I set my amp up properly in the beginning. It was a learning experience to say the least. Good thing is, whatever I did, it's working well. Good volume, no distortion, crystal clear at speed.

Scoots

1 - 8 of 8 Posts