Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to mount an amp in the fairing and I'm curious as the where everyone is making the ground connections at. Did you ground it at the battery or did you ground it at the inner fairing/radio bracket? Ive read the ground wire should be same thickness as the power but it should be grounded as close to the amp as possible. What say you?

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
I used to ground amps right where the gas tank mounts, with my last two, I ground to the battery. The reason for a short ground is not to pick up any strange interference, I haven't had a problem, plus I don't have to try to scratch the paint from the frame for a good connection.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fear is getting interference. I'm gonna be running 10ga power to the battery which i will be putting plastic loom on to protect it but I'm also running speaker wire to the bags which will also have loom on it. Everything I've read says to keep wires isolated from each other to reduce the risk of interference

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've got 8 gauge power and ground wires for my fairing mounted amps. Grounded at the battery. No problems with interference.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Your only talking less than 2 feet. I doubt you will pick up any interference in that short run. I also believe in connecting to the battery for the main ground. If you decide not to connect to the battery, make sure you have a clean connection (metal 2 metal ).
BTW, good luck trying to keep all the wires separated / away from each other in that little space. I thought about it for about a minute . :) Not doing so, Didn't seem to cause any problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was going to ground my PA rz4-2000d to the battery as recommended. Then I read on the other forum that if you ground to the main ground bolt under the battery, you have a better chance of not losing FM reception. Not sure if it mattered but I seemed to have lost little to no reception. With some d class amps it seems to be a crap shoot on whether you lose FM, so I did what I could to help that. I also ran the power and ground wires on the opposite side of the antenna cable in the wiring tunnel under the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts